Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

3DS 'An error occurred' screen

Discuss Nintendo handheld gaming here. Now includes all download discussion.

3DS 'An error occurred' screen

Postby Izak » 26 Mar 2011, 21:05

I got my 3DS on Thursday from ShopTo.net. It worked fine all Thursday evening and all of Friday until around 6:30pm when suddenly upon returning to the Home screen from the Camera Channel, I got a black screen telling me an error had occurred and to power off the 3DS. I did this thinking it was just a one off and continued playing on it. A bit later on I had jut gone into the Mii Maker and the error message appeared again, then a bit later on after quite a bit of testing (going in and out of channels, etc) the same error appeared again on the Mii channel.

I found a forum post on another site regarding a similar problem with the DSi and suggested reformatting the SD card which I did and continued on the 3DS. I had no more problems last night (I played on Pilot Wings and Face Raiders for around 2 hours in total).

I have played on the 3DS several times today without problem too, until just now (at around the same time the problem happened yesterday), I was just on the Home screen (no software running) and the error screen appeared again.

Could it be a firmware bug? (I have updated it to the latest version) or could it be a faulty unit.
My 3DS Mii!
Izak

Re: 3DS 'An error occurred' screen

Postby choclate-milk » 26 Mar 2011, 21:12

It's quite likely that it's a firmware bug. I would suggest waiting until the next firmware update (Which shouldn't be long), and if the problem persists, return it.

Alternatively, send an email to ShopTo's support people. They'll know what to do.
choclate-milk
ONM Moderator

Postby Sonic_Freak » 26 Mar 2011, 21:31

It happened to me about half an hour ago randomly for the first time. I exited Super Monkey Ball 3D and changed game cards to Nintendogs + Cats and then opened that game up and the error popped up before the game began to load.
Sonic_Freak

Postby FriarLawrenceIII » 26 Mar 2011, 21:39

It's happened to me too. Three times. All using applications which use the camera (AR, Face Raiders) I'm going to see if the next firmware update fixes it. If there isn't one out in the next week or so, i'll buy Games extended warrantee, just incase it gets worse in the future (as happened with my DSi. But I only noticed it 3 days after my warrantee expired, as I hadn't used it in over a month ¬_¬)
What is sharper? Your sword or your wit?
FriarLawrenceIII

Postby Laganwanderer » 26 Mar 2011, 21:49

I have just had the same problem which has made me panic as I suffered this problem with my DSi XL and I never got it sorted. It plays games fine but when I turn the wifi on i get the error message. There is no way I'm putting up with it on this console after all the money I've spent out. I was playing Super Monkey Ball when it happened and I've had the wifi switched on since I switched the console on. I don't know what to do next though?
Last edited by Laganwanderer on 26 Mar 2011, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Laganwanderer

Postby FriarLawrenceIII » 26 Mar 2011, 21:56

I would wait a couple of weeks and see if nintendo fixes the bug (maybe give them a call, to alert them of the issue). If not, return it and request a new unit/refund (as it's still within the 28 days)
FriarLawrenceIII

Postby GoNinty » 26 Mar 2011, 22:15

It's happened to me once when I was entering the Camera App, but I powered off and it was fine again. :) Hope it dosen't happen again :L
Andrew is Currently Playing:
Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart Wii

3DS FC: 2406-5111-2131
MK7 Community - GoNinty's Place: 31-1041-6158-6054
Mario Kart Wii FC: 2535-4502-1423
GoNinty

Postby MinkyWhistle » 26 Mar 2011, 22:39

Has been happening to me a fair bit too, going to call Nintendo on Monday to report the issue to them, though I really don't want to send the console back after only just getting it. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it. In the meantime could ONM let us know if there is any official word from Nintendo on the matter?
MinkyWhistle

Postby FriarLawrenceIII » 26 Mar 2011, 22:43

Well, when you do, mention that a fair few people you've spoken to have had similair issues. That way they'll look into it sooner!
FriarLawrenceIII

Postby Izak » 26 Mar 2011, 23:07

Thanks for your replies.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues.

Hopefully it is just a firmware bug.

It's only happened with the built in software. Played Pilot Wings for a few hours and never had any problems within that, so that to me sounds like a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue.
My 3DS Mii!
Izak

Postby nookAC » 26 Mar 2011, 23:32

Ive only had it once when I took it out of the chraging dock, while I was playing, it came up
nookAC

Postby RRG » 26 Mar 2011, 23:51

I just got one a few minutes ago, whilst playing Rayman 3D, I got so scared XD But I think it's fine now, nothing to worry about, probably just a firmware issue like people have said. :)
Hoorah! I made it onto the Mii ONM Cover!
Inside cover, the one with the light green hat and freckles, called 'Gregory'.
DeviantART: http://mrklonoa.deviantart.com/
RRG

Postby kiba-fang-over » 27 Mar 2011, 00:23

Hmm are all your 3DS's connected to the internet? I'm wondering if that is the case because I haven't connected mine yet and it is fine *touch wood*
Biggest Resi Evil fan on the ONM forums....wait biggest Resi Evil Fan in the world.
ChainedTeapot: who needs a dog? badgers are the future
kiba-fang-over

Postby Laganwanderer » 27 Mar 2011, 00:42

kiba-fang-over wrote:Hmm are all your 3DS's connected to the internet? I'm wondering if that is the case because I haven't connected mine yet and it is fine *touch wood*

My 3DS has been connected to the Internet since I set the console up. I think it is a internet problem based on my experiance with my DSi XL where the error only comes up when I switch the wifi on but like I said I'm not putting up with it this time. Since I last posted I've played on Super Monkey Ball and messed around with the camera with no problems. I think I will contact Nintendo on Monday. Fingers crossed it's sorted quickly.
Laganwanderer

Postby Kyurem99 » 27 Mar 2011, 00:50

I had a black screen (just a black screen; no error message) in the middle of playing FFIV DS. Though it might be because I was trying to get my 3DS into the charging cradle at the same time as playing the game; the cartridge might have been knocked/got unlodged. So it might not be a hardware problem. Other than that, everything's been fine.
Kyurem99

Postby kiba-fang-over » 27 Mar 2011, 00:59

Kyurem99 wrote:I had a black screen (just a black screen; no error message) in the middle of playing FFIV DS. Though it might be because I was trying to get my 3DS into the charging cradle at the same time as playing the game; the cartridge might have been knocked/got unlodged. So it might not be a hardware problem. Other than that, everything's been fine.

Why don't you just put the power lead in the back of the 3DS?
Biggest Resi Evil fan on the ONM forums....wait biggest Resi Evil Fan in the world.
ChainedTeapot: who needs a dog? badgers are the future
kiba-fang-over

Postby Minoru » 27 Mar 2011, 01:16

Happened to me in Rayman. I was just playing and it suddenly came up for no reason, not even on a loading screen or anything. I haven’t had it again since, but I haven’t used my 3DS much since either. I’ll be pretty annoyed if it’s a hardware fault, I paid a lot of money for this console and I won’t put up with it randomly crashing - but I don't want to have to wait for a replacement/fix from Nintendo either. I'm hoping we'll find out if it's hardware or firmware soon, so I can take it back to Tesco if it's a hardware fault.
3DS FC: 2105-8638-1569
NNID: PunishingLawyer
Visit my Zero Escape AC town. Dream Address: 7900-2291-4463
Minoru

Postby JuriHan » 27 Mar 2011, 01:32

The same thing happened to me while I was played Monkey Ball. I just put it down to me playing it too much, hasn't happened to me since.
JuriHan

Postby bobbyy29 » 27 Mar 2011, 11:50

Seeing as there are so many people in a localised area with the problem then it should either be a huge problem with the hardware or firmware. Either way, Nintendo should fix it. :D
3DS Friend Code is... 5112-3405-7745
PM me with yours!
bobbyy29

Postby jimbob555 » 27 Mar 2011, 11:57

Bugs? On a handheld? This is the dawn of a new age, lordy...

Sigh.
jimbob555

Postby Izak » 27 Mar 2011, 11:59

Just had a thought, has everybody whos experienced the problem updated to the latest firmware?

I have, so hopefully its just a bug in that.
My 3DS Mii!
Izak

Postby MinkyWhistle » 27 Mar 2011, 13:00

Has happened to me 3 times in the last hour, once with the error screen, twice the screen just went black. Getting very annoying now. I have the Blue one, have updated to the latest firmware, and am playing Shadow Wars.
MinkyWhistle

Postby MinkyWhistle » 27 Mar 2011, 13:25

Arghhh again! Maybe the 3DS comes with an inbuilt funtion that tells you when you shoud be writing your dissertation!
MinkyWhistle

Postby Izak » 27 Mar 2011, 14:43

MinkyWhistle wrote:Arghhh again! Maybe the 3DS comes with an inbuilt funtion that tells you when you shoud be writing your dissertation!

:lol: I have had Pilot Wings tell me I should take a rest because I've played for a long while.

Nintendo do seem quite obsessed with Health and Safety, far more than other companies.
My 3DS Mii!
Izak

Postby IscariotJ » 27 Mar 2011, 20:30

Izak wrote:Just had a thought, has everybody whos experienced the problem updated to the latest firmware?

I have, so hopefully its just a bug in that.

I created a thread about this yesterday thinking that it was an issue with my game ( Lego Star Wars ), it would appear that isn't the case....it's happened several times up to now.

Also on the new firmware....is there a way to revert to the original? Will call Nintendo tomorrow....
IscariotJ

Next