Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokémon Dawn: The ONM Fangame - Summer Time = Free Time!

The forum for all Pokémon fans...

Pokémon Dawn: The ONM Fangame - Summer Time = Free Time!

Postby SamuriFerret » 25 Jul 2010, 00:48

Demo Link Here

The Current Pokédex - 29/06/11 (Thanks Fiery!)

This is a new thread from the last one, because the release of the demo is a perfect time to make a new thread. (The last also had a weird ghost page at the end)

Feedback

This Demo will have lots of bugs, well, it's likely. Please tell me things that need to be fixed, however minor, and I'll see if I can fix them.

PROBLEM LIST:
-The tile to the right of the Wii when you start off will warp you to the Art gallery in the third town. Just step around it. Seriously. That's kind of my fault, I used it to get round while playtesting and forgot to remove it.

Helping Out

We need lots of things doing. We need ideas, Pokemon designs, movesets, everything you can imagine. I am programming so I know best what can and can't be done, so you can ask me.

If you steal designs and sprites, you lose your right to help out in this project. We won't tolerate thievery of other peoples work.

SPRITING:

- Pokemon and their back sprites must be 64 x 64 pixels, anything more and it can't be used.
-Trainer sprites can be a bit bigger.
-If you're designing a Pokemon, DO NOT SPLICE. Design it from scratch. If you suck at spriting, get a basic sprite and if the design is good someone can improve it so it is usable.
-Base a sprite of a concept design first. The only way to prove your sprite is unique and not stolen is to base it off original designs. Besides, an idea is better if thought out first.
-Don't be offended or annoyed if we think it should be altered, changed or renamed to improve it. If you post something here, you must be mature about criticism.

MOVESETS:

-Any moves bar Gen 4 moves are available.

Videos

A little bit of the start - unfinished
Last edited by SamuriFerret on 12 Feb 2011, 18:42, edited 11 times in total.
KingdONM is coming very soon, WATCH THIS SPACE
SamuriFerret
ONM Moderator

Postby mariosmum » 25 Jul 2010, 00:53

Awesome! I'll download it now (:
- A funky not a junkie but I know where to get it -
mariosmum

Postby lewthema » 25 Jul 2010, 01:36

Were we supposed to continue as Sarumai or start a new file? Sarumai had only a minuite of gameplay so it shouldn't really matter, but still.

On the Pokedex, when you see the species name (as in Dramateak, Sorrow Bird Pokemon) it goes out of the box if it's too long. Also, when the catching music repeats, the sound when you first catch the pokemon, and when the pokeball dissapears, repeats also.
On the text screen when you're nicknaming the letter I has an odd space in front of it, and is shunted to the left of the area, not in the middle.

That's all my playing for tonight, I'll edit in some more stuff tomorrow.
http://notoosure.wordpress.com/
@lewthema
lewthema

Postby 1kiba1 » 25 Jul 2010, 01:37

Yeah...I can't open it. NO$GBA has a few problems with it for me.
Xbox Live: Mudkipzzzz PSN: A__Radiohead
Stars die, so I can live

The King of Limbs
Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel.
Conna The Pain Train Payne
1kiba1

Postby mario kart » 25 Jul 2010, 01:54

Just a possible idea - we have a wii, if someone has the knowhow they could make a simple game that you can play if you click on the wii? something short and simple, but could be a nice addition...
By the time you have read this you will realise it was a waste of your time.
Raszero > Mario Kart
Feel free to visit my blog - some stuff you may enjoy. And after all, what's the harm?
http://enigamer.blogspot.com/
mario kart

Postby SamuriFerret » 25 Jul 2010, 02:02

mario kart wrote:Just a possible idea - we have a wii, if someone has the knowhow they could make a simple game that you can play if you click on the wii? something short and simple, but could be a nice addition...

Can't be done.
SamuriFerret
ONM Moderator

Postby Chained Teapot » 25 Jul 2010, 02:09

Glitch or end of demo?

And this game seems very unkind to the grass starter ):

- When I started I got a lot of errors for not being able to access many fonts.
- Sound effect is looped for banging into things.
- Pokéball doesn't appear on healing machine in centre
- The Pokécentre healing noise sounds louder and eerier than the rest of the music.
- The second town felt very cluttered.
- The texture for the basic path looks kinda looped badly, or all pokémon paths look like that and I haven't noticed.
- the jumping over the weird wall thing, seems a bit of a high jump.
- The sprite of the schoolboy looks quite large, I'm guessing it fits dimensions but looks too big.
- fountain animation in second town looks messed up
- Walking animation looks a bit odd, might just be me.
- The three random trainers not automaticly talking to you after the battle was sad.
- NPC's face you to talk and quickly re-face their original position, done in a not right looking fashion.
- As nice as it is to have different kinds of battle animations, I feel having them random all the time feels a bit weird.
- Dunno if it's supposed to yet or not but map in Pokécentre gives no information.
- Sign beside fountain doesn't say anything.
- when in battle the "type:Grass" cuts off in the information for razor leaf.

- I can walk through him and have no idea why he is even there.

I've only done up to where I got to in the first image and looked around a bit in the teleportation to the art gallery. Seeing as you are fixing something it may be something I've already said making some of my post possibly pointless :3

Twitter | PSN: Gill_91 | XBL: Chained Teapot | Youtube
Chained Teapot
ONM Moderator

Postby SamuriFerret » 25 Jul 2010, 02:19

Thanks for the write-up CT, the first thing is the reason I took it down. A lot of those things I am addressing now, such as that "ghost professor". Some of those things are system file settings and and can't be fixed, but thanks, I'll see what I can do.
SamuriFerret
ONM Moderator

Postby Random-Hero » 25 Jul 2010, 02:57

Just encase anyone cares, I'll be now working within the project. I wont post in the topic, just pitching ideas and stuff to SF via MSN/PM Box. :3
Random-Hero

Postby C0llector James » 25 Jul 2010, 08:47

1kiba1 wrote:Yeah...I can't open it. NO$GBA has a few problems with it for me.

Its not a rom, its a .exe.

Anyway, damn it I missed it, oh well. Hope you can get those fixed SF.
C0llector James

Postby noodle link » 25 Jul 2010, 09:04

Where to download?
They'll need a shoehorn; the kind with teeth.
Reviews and things.
Stream.
My Music Collection.
Last FM
noodle link

Postby Lewys » 25 Jul 2010, 10:41

haha look at all the new faces our demo has attracted! makes me feel so proud. :lol: it felt like this day would never come. now I just got to find a way to make .exe files work on a mac......
Thanks to Nyaro for the awesome sig
Lewys

Postby C0llector James » 25 Jul 2010, 10:49

@noodle link- the demo has been taken down for a bit to fix some bugs, it should be back up very soon

@lewys- I agree, it's weird how as soon as the demo is released people turn up. Chained Teapot, made a HUGE first contribution. Oh and for the mac thing read up about bootcamp.
C0llector James

Postby Lewys » 25 Jul 2010, 10:52

I know about bootcamp, but then I need to get windows. my mother's boyfriend might have a copy lying around, I don't really want to have to ask him though.
Thanks to Nyaro for the awesome sig
Lewys

Postby fitzy72 » 25 Jul 2010, 10:53

A little bit of imput

Leafmur's moveset is:
1,TACKLE,1,GROWL,7,VINEWHIP,10,SING,15,RAZORLEAF,17,LEECHSEED,20,LEAFBLADE,25,BULLETSEED,32,GROWTH,42,SOLARBEAM

I believe that it needs to learn a move other than grass type moves. Looking at it's sprite a simple move like Magnitude would solve this.

Another this to keep inmind for the futre is that this pokemon should learn the move cut.
fitzy72

Postby lewthema » 25 Jul 2010, 12:21

I picked the water starter and the battles seemed very difficult - I lost against the other starterand the 2nd and 3rd trainers. Also, it didn't seem to level up very fasy, after 2 fights with wild pokewmon I had about a quarter of the EXP bar filled, which is less than normal for that far into the game.
http://notoosure.wordpress.com/
@lewthema
lewthema

Postby Richy B » 25 Jul 2010, 12:39

All right, if we're having a new thread, I need 2nd post asap. SF I'm sure you can fix that.

Also, lewthama, thats normal leveling for you...

CT nice write up, thats very useful. The path tiles are like that, so or probably always like that in the games.

Also, CJ, stop acting like you know everything. CT helped with stats and moves before, so he's already contributed. And you're not even considered part of the project...
BenJen: I had a valentine when I was about 7, who later we worked out was my second cousin
Richy B

Postby C0llector James » 25 Jul 2010, 12:46

Richy B wrote:Also, CJ, stop acting like you know everything. CT helped with stats and moves before, so he's already contributed. And you're not even considered part of the project...

Buh? I was just saying its nice how many new faces have popped up, and I already know CT has helped, I was just saying how much Chained Teapot had helped the bugs in the demo already. Sorry, if you thought I was acting like a know-it-all, it wasn't what I was impling, It might of just came across like that too you. Im still part of the community and this is a community project, so I am still part of this. I just cant "contribute".

Sorry again for telling people it was a .exe and commenting on how nice it is people are geeting involved with the demo, I'll stop being such an inconsiderate jerk.
C0llector James

Postby Richy B » 25 Jul 2010, 12:57

C0llector James wrote:@lewys- I agree, it's weird how as soon as the demo is released people turn up. Chained Teapot, made a HUGE first contribution. Oh and for the mac thing read up about bootcamp.

Am I the only that things he's getting at everyone whos appeared now with this?
And once again Cj, I quote the first post.
SamuriFerret wrote:If you steal designs and sprites, you lose your right to help out in this project. We won't tolerate thievery of other peoples work.

You cant help out. Nuff said, so scamper.
Last edited by Richy B on 25 Jul 2010, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
BenJen: I had a valentine when I was about 7, who later we worked out was my second cousin
Richy B

Postby supremo » 25 Jul 2010, 12:58

new thread? i guess 300+ pages was a alot.
XBL: Supremo 92
Deviantart: http://suprem0.deviantart.com/
supremo

Postby Fiery_Hedgehog » 25 Jul 2010, 13:01

A couple of new back sprites finished.

Image Image

Marinode doesn't look too special from behind, tbh.

Also, I didn't get to download the demo (Sorry for not being up in the middle of the night ¬_¬ ), did my sprites look good in action? :]
- 3DS Friend Code: 4210-3970-6408 - ACNL Dream Address: 7300-2182-0226 -
Fiery_Hedgehog

Postby SamuriFerret » 25 Jul 2010, 13:06

Fiery_Hedgehog wrote:A couple of new back sprites finished.

Image Image

Marinode doesn't look too special from behind, tbh.

Also, I didn't get to download the demo (Sorry for not being up in the middle of the night ¬_¬ ), did my sprites look good in action? :]

Thanks for the backsprites there.

I don't know whether any of the sprites you made were in (I can't remember which ones you made) but you can find out soon enough - I'll release the game again within this day.
SamuriFerret
ONM Moderator

Postby Richy B » 25 Jul 2010, 13:18

fitzy72 wrote:A little bit of imput

Leafmur's moveset is:
1,TACKLE,1,GROWL,7,VINEWHIP,10,SING,15,RAZORLEAF,17,LEECHSEED,20,LEAFBLADE,25,BULLETSEED,32,GROWTH,42,SOLARBEAM

I believe that it needs to learn a move other than grass type moves. Looking at it's sprite a simple move like Magnitude would solve this.

Another this to keep inmind for the futre is that this pokemon should learn the move cut.

Temp movesets for demo... And why does it need another move? Grass moves are fine.
Richy B

Postby SamuriFerret » 25 Jul 2010, 13:29

Richy B wrote:And why does it need another move? Grass moves are fine.

I've given it Slash, simply because an all-grass moveset is poorly balanced. It can be fixed at a later date, but playing the demo with the grass starter is pretty tough.
SamuriFerret
ONM Moderator

Postby RRG » 25 Jul 2010, 14:26

Hey guys! :D Glad this is moving along swiftly! :) Can't wait to play the demo! What Pokémon are in the demo may I ask?
Hoorah! I made it onto the Mii ONM Cover!
Inside cover, the one with the light green hat and freckles, called 'Gregory'.
DeviantART: http://mrklonoa.deviantart.com/
RRG

Next