Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U games

Comment on site articles.

Tonnes of new entries, but it's Mario that platforms his way straight to the top of the pile

Just bought a Wii U? There are at least 10 excellent games that you can buy for your console and with the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U to come, the future is even brighter for Nintendo's console. For now, here are the best Wii U games you can buy.

... read more

Re: Best Wii U games

Postby Neverdeadagain » 16 Nov 2012, 08:55

Amazed by the Sonic score. I've been playing the Xbox version yesterday and its really good. Did you get sent a pre-release copy or something? Maybe it wasn't finished or something.

While I understand you're attempt to 'rebalance' scores, its completely doomed to failure as the entire world scores differently to you. A game that scores below 7 means 'terrible do not buy' in this day and age. Which will mean people will buy less Nintendo format games after reading your magazine (or worse, seeing the score you give on the internet). A bad thing for you guys I would imagine.

I fact you could almost take the scores,10,9,8 etc and use them as the 5 star system - so 10 is 'five stars', 9 is 'four stars' etc. People get this unconsciously I think. This means you've ranked this game as a 2 star game. Its simply not that as the IGN review of 86% shows.

The worst thing is Sega will make future business based off the metacritic scores of their games. This score will unfairly drag the metacritic down of the game, which could mean a sequel wont get made, which would be a real shame, Mario Kart needs decent competition its getting really stale.

It is quite a bit different to Mario Kart so I wonder if the reviewer just has Mario tinted glasses on and cant see through that.
Neverdeadagain

Postby CBTIRL » 16 Nov 2012, 09:00

I have been reading ONM for a good few years, and I cannot remember 1 occasion where I disagreed with a review. The mag and podcasts are the highlight of my month. Bring on the 21st and the new look, My Body Is Readyy
Nintendo Network ID: Insert_Pun_Here
3DS FC:1461-6464-0543
PSN:conben12
Twitter:@CBennett_12
CBTIRL

Postby torterratrainer » 16 Nov 2012, 09:07

WAHHHH
THESE ARE THE BEST WII U GAMES!!?

NSMBU is infinetley better than NSMB2 just to say swap those reviews around dammit!
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 16 Nov 2012, 09:24

Congratulations on avoiding the usual backlash for a Mario game review score... it's just a shame it's hit you elsewhere.

Also, it's great to find out some of the features of the redesigned mag. I hope that the new medal system that Matt revealed does do it's intended purpose of easing away the stigma for 70%+ games The Second Opinion is also very welcome. I remember a similar feature appearing briefly in EMAP's "NOM" and I found it very useful, so thanks for introducing it to ONM.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby tomonm » 16 Nov 2012, 09:50

Neverdeadagain wrote:I fact you could almost take the scores,10,9,8 etc and use them as the 5 star system - so 10 is 'five stars', 9 is 'four stars' etc. People get this unconsciously I think. This means you've ranked this game as a 2 star game. Its simply not that as the IGN review of 86% shows.

You're setting your own system there. If we were to mark out of five stars, I would say that 62% is probably three stars. Disappointing by Sonic standards. Back to the original criticism quickly. You do need to read the review but in this pithy summary, I think you can infer that by listing interminable as a flaw, Joe thought it was a bit boring. Long doesn't automatically mean a game is good, just as really hard doesn't. It has to be fun as well.

As for the suggestion of bias, that's just going to wind us up, especially when it comes to the Sonic V Mario debate. A lot of us on the magazine really like Sonic and I have consistently defended modern Sonic games when people write them all off, pointing people towards the handheld games such as Rush and Generations, plus Colours on Wii. We've given some great scores to Sonic games. That's probably one reasons that we're so disappointed by Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed. It had great potential.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 16 Nov 2012, 10:32

I'm looking forward to you reviews of Batman Arkham City,and Epic Mickey 2.
Hopefully both will be great tiles.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby ChrisONM » 16 Nov 2012, 10:38

CBTIRL wrote:Mr Scullion, is there a single player career mode different to the co-op manager mode in FIFA, and if yes it the 12 or 13 version

There's a single-player career mode but it's more like the FIFA 12 manager mode.
My Twitter feed (it actually gets updated now!)
ChrisONM
ONM Moderator

Postby shy guy 64 » 16 Nov 2012, 11:32

fair enough but i all ready know witch games im getting
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby barrybarryk » 16 Nov 2012, 11:57

I wonder how Darksiders 2 will turn out. I have the PC version already, but with some tidy touchscreen implementations for the inventory and map system as well as a little bit of a general tidy up I'd consider getting it again for a console.
barrybarryk

Postby Andy Ritson » 16 Nov 2012, 12:06

Review of the ONM "Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed" Comments

5/10
Disappointing/Inaccurate/Biased A must *not* read.
Andy Ritson

Postby jawafour » 16 Nov 2012, 12:23

Why is the review a "must not read"? Surely you'd want to read it to work out how it differs from your view?

Once the mag is out, people can take a look, understand the new review marking system and then make their own minds up. No need to get worked up about a review that nobody has read in full for a game that nobody has played yet!

The only criticism for ONM is that they've fallen into the trap of releasing scores on the net without the full story to back it up. I can understand why; but perhaps the new scoring approach should have been noted prominently in the article.

I'm looking forward to the game and the mag :-)
jawafour

Postby tomonm » 16 Nov 2012, 13:10

Whoops! We weren't actually meant to publish our review score of Sonic Racing until the game is released in America on Sunday. So we've deleted it from this Best Wii U games article. We will publish the review online at a later date and don't forget that you'll be able to read the full review in issue 91 of the magazine.

Just thought you should know in case you're wondering why everyone is talking about Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed when the review score is no longer in the article.

That's all I have to say...
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby barrybarryk » 16 Nov 2012, 13:21

Ooh breaking embargo, Sega aren't going to be happy lol
barrybarryk

Postby ChuckRock » 16 Nov 2012, 13:27

Speaking of breaking embargoes..

Just got my new ONM! Loving the matt finish (it feels smooth on my hands) and the new look is very classy.

Fear not people, ZombiiU 92% and the early title of best Wii U game!

As for Epic Mickey 3DS, I am absolutely gutted. Let the backlash start here! You are biased against mice, I'm never reading ONM again, Tangled FTW! etc etc ad infinitum
ChuckRock

Postby NintendoForLife » 16 Nov 2012, 14:38

The problems with SSAR might be exclusive to WiiU as it's new hardware. Just wait until you've played that version before commenting. Every time it's mentioned it's sounded unpolished on the WiiU. If you can get it on PS360 then do that as it probably has less issues. None you have played it on WiiU.
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby dunc247 » 16 Nov 2012, 16:51

dunc247 wrote:so good to here

*hear. So sorry.
Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer finalist: 2009, 2010
dunc247

Postby ThePokekid78 » 16 Nov 2012, 19:07

After reading Issue 89, I was surprised to see your scores for some of the Wii U launch titles...seems that with the re-designed magazine you guys are also being a little harsher with your review scores....WHICH I LOVE. The harsher, the better!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby harrogatewario » 16 Nov 2012, 20:28

Some of this hysteria over a review score is very amusing. :D Calm down folks, just because a game scores low it doesn't mean you aren't allowed to enjoy it.

I've never bought a game based on a high review score, just on the contents of a review and whether the game would appeal to me or not. (Although call me a massochist but I have occasionally purchased a game with a really low score just to see how bad it is.)
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what it's all about?!

3DS FC: 5412-9934-6347 (PM if you add me so I can return the favour.)

PS+N/NNID: harrogatewario (Send me a friend request via Miiverse and PS Network).
harrogatewario

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 16 Nov 2012, 21:26

i don't care what the score is for sonic racing is as i'll still get it as i've already pre-ordered it , the first one was poor but i still enjoyed it , i do pay attention to the review's but they don't make my mind up , only when i play the game will i know if it's any-good as the only opinion that matter's to me is mine , the game is what u make of it and not some-one else and no i don't have a big head
5OUNDWAVE

Postby SNESgamer » 17 Nov 2012, 10:26

5OUNDWAVE wrote:i don't care what the score is for sonic racing is as i'll still get it as i've already pre-ordered it , the first one was poor but i still enjoyed it , i do pay attention to the review's but they don't make my mind up , only when i play the game will i know if it's any-good as the only opinion that matter's to me is mine , the game is what u make of it and not some-one else and no i don't have a big head

Ive just seen the reviews for the PS3 and 360 versions of this. Both are very positive.
So this is looking good for the wii u version.
SNESgamer

Postby Shinnos » 17 Nov 2012, 14:04

MatthewONM wrote:One thing we've introduced in the new magazine is a medal system: gold (90+), silver (80+) and bronze (70+), as we want to reclaim the 70s as respectable scores. By this logic, these are all pretty strong games. And Sonic is still above average. Just.

Yes! This is a great idea. Although I'd still be tempted to just give review scores out of 10, so that something which got 90+% would be 9/10. I think people get too caught up on the percentages when reading reviews, which leads to comments along the lines of "I can't believe you only gave this game 94%!!! It deserves at least 95%!!!". An overall 9/10 score would possibly make people actually read the review more rather than become obsessed about percentages...
Shinnos

Postby PhineasFerbStyx » 17 Nov 2012, 17:16

Any chance of a Batman Arkham City Armoured Edition review, it's probably my most wanted U game for Christmas.
Man do I rock or wut If u want my friend code it will be available by PM ing me
PhineasFerbStyx

Postby adamguy » 18 Nov 2012, 03:58

tomonm wrote:
JoeOdranDoran wrote:So thus far, no games to blow us away. I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for christmas, so I hope there are some more intriguing titles out by then.

Hang on! Nintendo Land has got a 90! That pretty much makes it essential.

No, it means than ONM has told us it's essential. Crucial difference.
[i]kidscad buttended[/i]
adamguy

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 18 Nov 2012, 19:00

I can't believe that NSMBU got a lower score than NSMB2. There wasn't that much 'new' about 2, especially the music, but considering all the new stuff in U, it really has to get more than 90% at least. Unless they messed up on the gameplay somehow, have they?
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 18 Nov 2012, 19:31

Can some one tell me WHAT THE HELL is up with Zombi U scores all over the internet?! ONM say 92%, IGN 6.5, Gamespot 4.5?!?!
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

PreviousNext