Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U games

Comment on site articles.

Tonnes of new entries, but it's Mario that platforms his way straight to the top of the pile

Just bought a Wii U? There are at least 10 excellent games that you can buy for your console and with the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U to come, the future is even brighter for Nintendo's console. For now, here are the best Wii U games you can buy.

... read more

Re: Best Wii U games

Postby Devilmancheese » 18 Nov 2012, 21:46

I was wondering when someone would comment on the zombiu review, it has been different over the internet, but it is personal taste. IGN said the gamplay was a bit boring after a while with zombies taking too long to go down (which became too repetative after a while) and a not so great story.
I guess ONM thought differently but it wasd reviewed by two different people each looking for something else in the game.
If you wanted the game but are put off, why not buy it and try. If it is not to your taste then return/exchange it.
If not wait a while until lots of people have played it and look at their opinions to see whether you want to buy or not.
Devilmancheese

Postby TaleOfTheToaster » 19 Nov 2012, 00:11

Interesting how ZombiU got pretty sub-par reviews from everywhere else. I went through about 2 full pages of Google search, and I didn't find one that claimed it was as good as ONM claim. But I had no plans to buy it anyway, so whatever.
All toasters toast toast, but what if the toaster was to be toasted?
TaleOfTheToaster

Postby Quantum Raven » 19 Nov 2012, 09:56

New Super Mario Bros. U is the best Wii U game ONM! Mario just crushes the competition and he's been doing so for almost 30 years and anyway Mario is what Nintendo is all about and I know for a fact that NSMBU is by far and away the best Wii U game at least until the inevitable free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration comes out on Wii U (which most likely won't be Super Mario Galaxy 3 because Nintendo themselves have said that SMG3 most likely won't happen and anyway it's about time that Mario returned to the Mushroom Kingdom or Sarasaland or any of the other Mario kingdoms and lands for the next free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration).

I strongly suspect ONM deliberatly under-rated New Super Mario Bros. U so that it doesn't get a higher score than Rayman Legends because it will be controversial if they have and personally I would give New Super Mario Bros. U 99%!
Last edited by Quantum Raven on 24 Nov 2012, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 19 Nov 2012, 11:43

Quite a difference from 4.5 from Gamespot.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Targey » 19 Nov 2012, 12:41

Quantum Raven wrote:New Super Mario Bros. U is the best Wii U game ONM! Mario just crushes the competition and he's been doing so for almost 30 years and anyway Mario is what Nintendo is all aboiut and I know for a fact that NSMBU is by far and away the best Wii U game at least until the inevitable free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration comes out on Wii U (which most likely won't be Super Mario Galaxy 3 because Nintendo themselves have said that SMG3 most likely won't happen and anyway it's about time that Mario returned to the Mushroom Kingdom or Sarasaland or any of the other Mario kingdoms and lands for the next free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration).

I strongly suspect ONM deliberatly under-rated New Super Mario Bros. U so that it doesn't get a higher score than Rayman Legends because it will be controversial if they have and personally I would give New Super Mario Bros. U 99%!

How can you say it's the best Wii U game when you haven't even played NSMBU, let alone any Wii U game? And how can you claim a poorly backed-up opinion is fact?
Targey

Postby AiDeNintendude » 19 Nov 2012, 20:30

Personally NSMBU I think will be my 2nd buy (after Nintendo Land) for the console. Being a student I've got to be careful with my money and I generally consider anything above 85% to be worth paying full price for; anything below is usually something that I wait a little while to buy at a cheaper price - I think that's fair...? I trust your reviews ONM as you're all fair to games and merit them where they deserve it, unlike other reviewers who focus way too much on the drawbacks and visuals of games.
AiDeNintendude

Postby AiDeNintendude » 19 Nov 2012, 20:36

ChandraONM wrote:Dear oh dear, the internet just gets worse by the minute.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

For those who posted the unreasonably, knee-jerk responses, ONM does not need to defend its scores.

The new mag explains the scoring system.
The scores in the mag are the scores we think games deserve.
End of.

Not everyone will agree, though I should say that the 360/PS3 scores of a similar game have little or no relevance to a Nintendo magazine. And we certainly don't look at other publication scores and go "OMG we must be wrong, let's change it!" We were as shocked by other people's higher scores as some of you seem to be at our lower score.
And that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion so long as it's informed and based on fact.

If a score makes you so angry that you want to stop buying the mag (seriously?) then stop buying the mag.
Otherwise grow a pair and be confident enough in yourself and your own opinion that you don't need to freak out on a forum.

He has spoken.
AiDeNintendude

Postby Chilly » 19 Nov 2012, 20:46

I'm looking forward to playing NSMBU, and just like in your latest issue, I've even made a schedule(well, tried to) of what to do before it comes out. It's only around 10 days away, but still, intense waiting is needed for awesome console creator.
Chilly

Postby Quantum Raven » 24 Nov 2012, 15:45

Targey wrote:
Quantum Raven wrote:New Super Mario Bros. U is the best Wii U game ONM! Mario just crushes the competition and he's been doing so for almost 30 years and anyway Mario is what Nintendo is all aboiut and I know for a fact that NSMBU is by far and away the best Wii U game at least until the inevitable free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration comes out on Wii U (which most likely won't be Super Mario Galaxy 3 because Nintendo themselves have said that SMG3 most likely won't happen and anyway it's about time that Mario returned to the Mushroom Kingdom or Sarasaland or any of the other Mario kingdoms and lands for the next free-roaming 3D Mario platformer with the focus on free exploration).

How can you say it's the best Wii U game when you haven't even played NSMBU, let alone any Wii U game? And how can you claim a poorly backed-up opinion is fact?

The thing is that for me New Super Mario Bros. U just excites me 1,000,000 times more than any other Wii U game and personally ONM have been over-hyping Rayman Legends and ZombiU and I hate it when critics over-hype certain games and for the record I don't care much about ZombiU because I'm not intrested in horror and there is too much blood in it so as a result I'm not getting it and secondly although I am looking forward to Rayman Legends it just doesn't excite me as much as NSMBU! I'm more into platformers and kart racers although I will play videogames across a varitey of genres except horror and thirdly New Super Mario Bros. U is a MARIO game and Mario is what Nintendo is all about and NSMBU launches with the Wii U and a new Nintendo system launching with a Mario game is normal even though this is the first time since the DS launched that this has happened which is a bit weird.

And that above paragraph backs it up as fact and anyway I just get more fun out of Mario games in the same way that classic gameshows are better.

One final thing, ONM get all worked up about a certain videogame to such a point that they compare that videogame with another and then deliberatly under-rate the more superior game so that it scores less than the videogame that they get worked up about and they have been doing that ever since Super Princess Peach was released 6 years ago.
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven

Postby Lazara the Last » 29 Nov 2012, 17:00

barrybarryk wrote:I'm actually really looking forward to playing Nintendo Land and NSMBU

And yes, I'm aware I'm a big child lol

You're not a big child. Unless you're a child. And you're big... Anyway, I'm twenty, and the thing I'm most excited about for the Wii U is Christmas. I can't wait for Christmas, because I'm going home to my parents and siblings and everything! And best of all, we're going to play the crap put of Nintendo Land!! :DD
Lazara the Last

Postby 3ds234 » 29 Nov 2012, 18:58

Can anyone tell me if I should get Nintendo Land or Mario Bros U.I wont be playing either with other people that much.
3ds fc: 1719-3432-0688. Animal Crossing Dream suite address:6200-2218-5065 .Xbox Live: ciaranm 281. Pm me if you add me on any of them.

Currently playing:Monster Hunter 3,Pokemon Y/black2,GTA V,Battlefield 4,COD Black Ops 2, Borderlands 2.
3ds234

Postby Xenokami » 29 Nov 2012, 20:30

My WiiU came 1 day early from Amazon. Yay!
Xenokami

Postby tomonm » 29 Nov 2012, 20:34

3ds234 wrote:Can anyone tell me if I should get Nintendo Land or Mario Bros U.I wont be playing either with other people that much.

New Super Mario Bros U. Nintendo Land is great but only with other players.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Kieran Drakes » 29 Nov 2012, 20:40

I have a feeling that ben 10 will fail, not because of the game, but the time, not enough really young kids will have a wii u, but i do like how much nintendo's demographic has changed, and i hope nintendo do well with older aged games.
Kieran Drakes

Postby tohaker » 29 Nov 2012, 22:17

I understand these reviews are biased towards the Wii U, but I really think no-body can argue that the Wii U is a 'baby's console' with these kind of launch games and reviews. I'm really looking forward to getting my Premium Pack - if my experience will be anything like getting my Wii, then I shouldn't need to buy another game for it for about 4-5 weeks.
tohaker

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 30 Nov 2012, 12:26

Darksiders 2 looks absolutely brilliant,I think I might have to go for it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Brawlftw » 30 Nov 2012, 21:28

tohaker wrote:I understand these reviews are biased towards the Wii U, but I really think no-body can argue that the Wii U is a 'baby's console' with these kind of launch games and reviews. I'm really looking forward to getting my Premium Pack - if my experience will be anything like getting my Wii, then I shouldn't need to buy another game for it for about 4-5 weeks.

I very much agree with that first part, they seem to be downplaying all the games you can get on other consoles, otherwise WiiU must have done something pretty bad indeed to make Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 2 and Arkham City worse than ZombieU. Not saying ZombieU's bad, but I seriously doubt it will be as good as those 3.

"Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is every bit as good as on other consoles. If you're new to the series the present day story will be confusing, but Connor's tale is fairly standalone and can be enjoyed without prior knowledge of the series. This is a massive, lovingly crafted game that's absolutely stuffed with things to do, but the limited GamePad functionality and linear mission design are disappointing."

The first statement and the last one contradict each other in the AC3 review. Moreover, the game isn't a masterpiece but it does deserve more recognition than 80% would suggest.
Brawlftw

Postby phil2512 » 02 Dec 2012, 22:45

About your S&ASRT review. Will you review the game again once the new patches are out?
phil2512

Postby Adam Pompa » 05 Dec 2012, 08:18

please tell me tank! supports pro controller
tank!
tank!
Adam Pompa

Postby MatthewONM » 05 Dec 2012, 09:19

phil2512 wrote:About your S&ASRT review. Will you review the game again once the new patches are out?

No. Our complaints were with the game itself. You'll understand once you've read the full review. We will, however, be doing a separate online multiplayer review in a later ONM Gamenight.

I've always been highly dubious of re-reviewing games after patches, because it's not the version people buy on the disc. Yes, 99% of people have access to the internet and, through it, the patch, but it's still not the game you buy in the shop.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby MatthewONM » 05 Dec 2012, 09:22

Brawlftw wrote:I very much agree with that first part, they seem to be downplaying all the games you can get on other consoles, otherwise WiiU must have done something pretty bad indeed to make Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 2 and Arkham City worse than ZombieU. Not saying ZombieU's bad, but I seriously doubt it will be as good as those 3.

"Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U is every bit as good as on other consoles. If you're new to the series the present day story will be confusing, but Connor's tale is fairly standalone and can be enjoyed without prior knowledge of the series. This is a massive, lovingly crafted game that's absolutely stuffed with things to do, but the limited GamePad functionality and linear mission design are disappointing."

The first statement and the last one contradict each other in the AC3 review. Moreover, the game isn't a masterpiece but it does deserve more recognition than 80% would suggest.

Why don't you wait to read the full reviews before jumping to any conclusions? Each score is fully justified. And as for the Creed review, those two sentences don't contradict each other. It's as good as it is on other consoles, it's just that GamePad doesn't make it better. Makes perfect sense to me.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby GullibleGoat44 » 05 Dec 2012, 11:11

tomonm wrote:
JoeOdranDoran wrote:So thus far, no games to blow us away. I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for christmas, so I hope there are some more intriguing titles out by then.

Hang on! Nintendo Land has got a 90! That pretty much makes it essential.

exactly!! this game looks like it will be the building looks for what many devs will do with the game pad
GullibleGoat44

Postby phil2512 » 05 Dec 2012, 19:37

That's okay then.
phil2512

Postby santaglause » 08 Dec 2012, 11:34

sonic transformed should be in the top 5, there is a burning rangers level thats all i have to say
santaglause

Postby Pyron12 » 10 Dec 2012, 19:39

Would Sonic All Stars have had a different score if someone else had reviewed it? It's fine having one persons opinion but two from the same magazine would be interesting. I am in the middle with Joe Skrebels to be honest. At times I can understand his reasoning but sometimes I think he's too harsh when reviewing (no offence intended).
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

PreviousNext