Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U games

Comment on site articles.

Tonnes of new entries, but it's Mario that platforms his way straight to the top of the pile

Just bought a Wii U? There are at least 10 excellent games that you can buy for your console and with the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U to come, the future is even brighter for Nintendo's console. For now, here are the best Wii U games you can buy.

... read more

Re: Best Wii U games

Postby MatthewONM » 10 Dec 2012, 20:11

Pyron12 wrote:Would Sonic All Stars have had a different score if someone else had reviewed it? It's fine having one persons opinion but two from the same magazine would be interesting. I am in the middle with Joe Skrebels to be honest. At times I can understand his reasoning but sometimes I think he's too harsh when reviewing (no offence intended).

Nope, the team are in agreement on this one. I don't think Joe is too harsh, I just think people have grown too accustomed to critics handling games with kid gloves. Joe writes what he thinks and sticks as honest a score as he can on the end. That's all you can ask, really. We're trying really hard to reestablish 50% as the average score. Too many sites start their scoring at 70 or 80. I think it's possible to have a 60% game that'll really appeal to the diehard fan of the genre, as is the case with SASRT.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby liam Doyle » 25 Dec 2012, 22:46

Nintendo land is cool but mariou is much better!
liam Doyle

Postby SuperSonicGamer » 26 Dec 2012, 21:36

I personally think you should have rated SAASRT much higher than 63%. It's a brilliant game.
SuperSonicGamer

Postby epiclink » 28 Dec 2012, 15:26

Nintendo Land is the best!
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby KH81314 » 12 Jan 2013, 18:13

At first I was surprised about how good the review was for Nintendo Land but it's the best game on the Wii U so far.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby LOZanges » 15 Jan 2013, 21:03

PeterR wrote:Didn't you say this was going to be at midnight? Its a bit tricky to comment on the scores having only played demo's of two of the games at MCM (NSMBU and nintendo land) but they seem to be about what I'd expect from my limited time with them as they were rather good fun. The ZombiU score will be interesting to see. Also not a good start for sonic on WiiU.

I think Sonic is really good, although ONM's opinion is ONM's opinion and I respect that. Make up your own mind on whether: A. To get a WII U and B. To get Sonic. Although I advise you to do both.
I heard you like ONM. So I put an issue of ONM inside your issue of ONM so you can read ONM whilst you're reading ONM
LOZanges

Postby KH81314 » 31 Jan 2013, 20:47

My favorite game so far is Darksiders II but the score isn't too bad.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Mr Roboto » 31 Jan 2013, 20:55

Zombi U for me!

The only decent launch game that shows The Wii U off.
Mr Roboto

Postby Scraggy man » 14 Mar 2013, 13:47

Wow go Lego! glad to see it did so well.
Maybe they should make more independent story games from now on.
Scraggy man

Postby olrodlegacy » 14 Mar 2013, 13:56

Nintendo Land really doesn't deserve to be on there. It's good for nostalgia but otherwise it's incredibly light. Darksiders or FIFA should take its place.
Twitter: @olrodlegacy 3DS Friend Code: 3523-2031-4532. PM me yours!

"There is a purpose greater than myself."
olrodlegacy

Postby toffeeman30 » 14 Mar 2013, 14:06

after 4 lego games im tired of them. dont think i will get it but nice to know its a good game. about time the wii u had a game to look forward to
toffeeman30

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 14 Mar 2013, 14:27

Very happy to see it picked up a great review,29th March can't come soon enough.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby tomonm » 14 Mar 2013, 14:42

toffeeman30 wrote:after 4 lego games im tired of them. dont think i will get it but nice to know its a good game. about time the wii u had a game to look forward to

So is Chandra! That was the point he made in his review. Things have changed for LCU which is why it got the high score it did. Had it been the same old LEGO it would have not been close to the top 10.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby bigterence » 14 Mar 2013, 16:20

Got Lego on pre-order.Looking forward to it and Luigi.
bigterence

Postby liveswired » 14 Mar 2013, 21:11

That has to be the worst top 10 in console history. Lego Undercover exposes the Wii U's slow, high latency RAM big time. Dodgy engine with last gen hardware don't mix. :(
liveswired

Postby liveswired » 14 Mar 2013, 21:19

tomonm wrote:
toffeeman30 wrote:after 4 lego games im tired of them. dont think i will get it but nice to know its a good game. about time the wii u had a game to look forward to

So is Chandra! That was the point he made in his review. Things have changed for LCU which is why it got the high score it did. Had it been the same old LEGO it would have not been close to the top 10.

Funnily enough most reviews I have read beg to differ. Most seem to agree that it is quite a good game, trapped with poor graphics, long load times and terrible frame rate. The missions follow the exact same linear layout as previous titles, most seem to agree that the open world is well designed but unfortunately hit with all those issues.

While of course I should reserve full judgement before playing, the lack of NPCs in the city along with the terrible pop in, crippled framerate takes the sheen of it for me. :(

But considering the the Wii U top ten all the Lego games are good enough to fill it. Lego Batman 2 should be the definitive Wii U lego release. Atleast it has two player co op in the city and in missions.
liveswired

Postby MatthewONM » 15 Mar 2013, 11:36

liveswired wrote:That has to be the worst top 10 in console history. Lego Undercover exposes the Wii U's slow, high latency RAM big time. Dodgy engine with last gen hardware don't mix. :(

Early days yet! Can't think of any console that had ten generation-defining games in its first four months. And Lego City looks fine. No better or worse than any other Lego game (and it is far more ambitious in scale than Lego Batman 2's open world).
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby liveswired » 15 Mar 2013, 22:51

MatthewONM wrote:
liveswired wrote:That has to be the worst top 10 in console history. Lego Undercover exposes the Wii U's slow, high latency RAM big time. Dodgy engine with last gen hardware don't mix. :(

Early days yet! Can't think of any console that had ten generation-defining games in its first four months. And Lego City looks fine. No better or worse than any other Lego game (and it is far more ambitious in scale than Lego Batman 2's open world).

I suppose so!!! :mrgreen:
liveswired

Postby OmniBligh » 16 Mar 2013, 14:26

These games are all great. But LoZ Wind Waker should be at the top of the list when it comes out. Also, for things like Assassin's Creed and definatley Mass Effect, I would recommend buying the other for another console and playing them. Assassin's Creed just for the story line and you missed out if you didn't play as Ezio, and Mass Effect because it is one of the best game franchises of all time. Your decisions change things in the following games, you become attached to characters and the gameplay is amazing!
OmniBligh

Postby lrwr14 » 20 Mar 2013, 16:33

No monster hunter 3U? That would be number 1 on my list.
Imagine a really cool picture here.
lrwr14

Postby Watoad » 24 Mar 2013, 21:43

WHY OH WHY is Funky Barn not in the top 10. :D :D :D :D
Watoad

Postby GameDirect » 30 Apr 2013, 17:51

I cant wait till I get a wii-u a bit overdue but that dont matter
GameDirect

Postby ultimatebuffalo » 30 Apr 2013, 22:45

mean while on other consoles you have 2 of the best rpgs of the year bioshock infinite and Ni No Kuni.

thats not forgetting Tomb Raider, god of war ascension, Journey, The Walking Dead (adventure) Devil May Cry, Beyond 2 souls, The Last of Us, Natural Selection 2, DOTA 2, league of legends, GTA 5, South Park the Stick of Truth

DEADPOOL, castlevania lord of shadows 2, Prey 2, Metro, Homefront, so many AAAA titles or hugely hyped games on 360 or PC or Ps3, there is practically nothing announced for Wii U except Pikmin 3 and Wind waker hd, where are the new IPs?

lego city is the best new game for wii and it looks like a ps2 game running on a n64 engine.

thats not even mentioning the fact Wii U wont be able to support Frostbite or Unreal engine 4 so expect more of a games drought as the years drag on.
ultimatebuffalo

Postby TronFan97 » 15 May 2013, 15:52

Hang on, wasn't there an announcement prior to the Wii U's launch that Metro: Last Light would be coming to Wii U?
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1283-0587
Online games: Street Fighter IV, Mario Kart 7, RE: Mercenaries
NNID: SuperSweetBoy (Mii name Edward)
Online/MiiVerse games: Nintendo Land, Trine 2, Arkham City, Lego City, ME3, Injustice
TronFan97

Postby Fubz » 27 May 2013, 02:01

ultimatebuffalo wrote:mean while on other consoles you have 2 of the best rpgs of the year bioshock infinite and Ni No Kuni.

thats not forgetting Tomb Raider, god of war ascension, Journey, The Walking Dead (adventure) Devil May Cry, Beyond 2 souls, The Last of Us, Natural Selection 2, DOTA 2, league of legends, GTA 5, South Park the Stick of Truth

DEADPOOL, castlevania lord of shadows 2, Prey 2, Metro, Homefront, so many AAAA titles or hugely hyped games on 360 or PC or Ps3, there is practically nothing announced for Wii U except Pikmin 3 and Wind waker hd, where are the new IPs?

Um, you should be comparing the 360 and PS3 with the Wii, not the WiiU to make a fair judgement.
garfield.01: I have a super best buddy. He is Fubz
୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ MRGLRGLRGLRGLR ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨

Twitch
Fubz

PreviousNext