Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Today I'm playing - The Best

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo

Today I'm playing - The Best

Postby Highlight » 12 Apr 2012, 18:11

Hey all! I'm sure that you frequently see topics pop up on here about "top 10 games ever" or whatever (I've been here for 5 years, so I certainly have seen a fair few!). I was chatting with some friends the other day, and they asked me the usual "top ten games" question, and I rattled them off. But then they kept mentioning ones in their lists which made me think "how could I leave that out?!?" So today I actually compiled a top 30 list, and was satisfied with the results.

But reading through them, what made me sad was how long it had been since I had played on some of them. I was guilty (as I'm sure a lot are) of finishing a game, then consigning it to memory, never to actually experience again but think of fondly when I recall it.

So for the next thirty days, I will be playing my top 30 games, like a countdown, each better than the last! Not only will this make me have some fun revisiting the greatest games I've ever experienced, but also hopefully jog your memories too, and maybe inspire you to go back and revisit some old classics.

I've linked the games on the list below to the pages they are on. Clicking these won't bring up adverts (promise!)

30) Gunstar Heroes (April 12th)
29) Batman: Arkham Asylum (April 13th)
28) Star Wars: Rogue Leader (April 14th)
27) Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (April 15th)
26) Super Metroid (April 16th)
25) Shadow of the Colossus (April 17th)
24) Red Dead Redemption (April 18th)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (April 19th)
22) Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (April 20th)
21) Lylatwars (April 21st)
20) Pikmin 2 (April 22nd)
19) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (April 23rd)
18) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (April 24th)
17) WWF: No Mercy (April 25th)
16) Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (April 26th)
15) God of War I, II & III (April 27th)
14) Banjo-Kazooie (April 28th)
13) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (April 29th)
12) Burnout 3: Takedown (April 30th)
11) Assassin's Creed II (May 1st)
10) Jet Force Gemini (May 2nd)
9) Portal (May 3rd)
8) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (May 4th)
7) Kingdom Hearts II (May 5th)
6) Golden Sun (May 19th)
5) Super Mario 64 (May 20th)
4) Pokemon Gold/Silver (May 21st)
3) Super Mario Kart (May 22nd)
2) Timesplitters 2 (May 23rd)
1) Street Fighter II (May 24th)
ImageImage
Highlight

Re: Today I'm playing - Gunstar Heroes!

Postby Highlight » 12 Apr 2012, 18:11

So today, on Thursday 12th April I will start with number 30:

GUNSTAR HEROES (MegaDrive, 1993)

This is an absolutely amazing side-scrolling shoot-'em-up, probably not ever bettered in terms of action. Explosions abound and the screen seems to be constantly covered in laser-fire, enemies and carnage of all description. Treasure have a habit of making fun, chaotic, seldom-known games, as anyone who has played Ikaruga or Sin & Punishment will tell you. It's been re-released on the Virtual Console, as well as having an excellent remake on the GameBoy Advance. But I had this on the MegaDrive when I was young, and of the 4 games on the cartridge (Alex Kidd, Altered Beast and Flicky were the others), this was definitely the most played.

What I loved most about it was how creative it was. Never a one-trick pony, Gunstar Heroes instead threw you into worlds where you never knew what was coming next. Green's level was superb, an on-rails subway level where you could switch between riding the floor or ceiling. Black's palace had a board game at the end, with squares sending you to mazes, fighting armies of tiny soldiers, or even taking your guns away! And then there's the space level, and the final level when you face all the bosses... it's just so, SO good. The way it lets you mix-and-match your powers to create your own style of gun is superb too.

In short, I implore you to play this. Whether it's on the VC or the MegaDrive or the GBA, just grab yourself a copy and have a blast. Word of warning though - unlike games like Streets of Rage or Final Fight, this game doesn't give you half the enemies because it's single-player, so it gives you extra incentive to find a friend! (Plus, it's someone else to say "isn't this amazing?" to!)

Post about the amazing game that is Gunstar Heroes here! Or alternatively, classics from your own collection you'd like to revisit.
ImageImage
Highlight

Postby Darkxaur » 12 Apr 2012, 20:43

The only Megadrive title from Treasure I haven't played.
Reading in the drawing room since 1889.
Darkxaur

Postby masamune » 12 Apr 2012, 20:45

oh holy crap, this is a good idea!

i really like Gunstar Heroes, probably one of the most mental games i've ever played. Treasure are champions of their craft.
tweet - psn: Cervanres - steam
masamune

Postby Highlight » 12 Apr 2012, 21:01

Darkxaur wrote:The only Megadrive title from Treasure I haven't played.

How many others are there?
ImageImage
Highlight

Postby masamune » 12 Apr 2012, 21:14

Gunstar Heroes (1993, Sega, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis; 1995, Sega, Sega Game Gear; 2006, Sega, Virtual Console; Game Gear port developed by M2)
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (1993, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis)
Dynamite Headdy (1994, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis; 1994, Sega, Game Gear; 1994, Sega, Master System*; 2007, Sega, Virtual Console; Game Gear port developed by Minato Giken)
YuYu Hakusho Makyoutoissen (幽☆遊☆白書 魔強統一戦) (1994, Sega, Mega Drive*)
Alien Soldier (1995, Sega, Mega Drive; 2007, Sega, Virtual Console)
Light Crusader (1995, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis; 2007, Sega, Virtual Console)

Dynamite Headdy is pretty awesome and even more mental, i think i played Light Crusader one time and i think it was pretty bad (i might be mixing games up though)
tweet - psn: Cervanres - steam
masamune

Postby wombat samurai » 12 Apr 2012, 21:16

A great game. Seven Force in particular, it's been too long.
wombat samurai

Postby Darkxaur » 12 Apr 2012, 21:43

masamune wrote:Light Crusader (1995, Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis; 2007, Sega, Virtual Console)

Dynamite Headdy is pretty awesome and even more mental, i think i played Light Crusader one time and i think it was pretty bad (i might be mixing games up though)

Light Crusader! I keep forgeting the name; I quite liked it but could have done without the simple simon mini-games.
Darkxaur

Postby Highlight » 13 Apr 2012, 01:02

Number 29:
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM (PS3, 2009)

You all must had heard of this game! If not, how was your time away on the moon? But I suppose just because you have heard of it doesn't necessarily mean that you've played it - after all, the only reason I bothered getting it in the first place was because I had just finished Red Dead Redemption and my colleague was pestering me relentlessly to play it (and subsequently, I'm now much more open about trying recommendations!)

This is the Batman game that all the fans had been waiting for. Batman has always had 3 things going for it in my view - a dark, brooding, cool hero, some truely creative and dark villains, and atmosphere. Arkham Asylum builds on all of these things extremely well. The premise is simple; the famous sanotorium's most insane inmates, including Joker, Riddler and Scarecrow, have broken loose and now the lunatics are literally running the asylum. Batman, with help from Oracle giving him advice, must subdue the prisoners and bring order back to the place.

The best feature in this game is the way the gameplay mechanics works. It allows you to be Batman, basically. Bruce Wayne, the man who took the symbol of the time which brought him the most fear, to strike fear in the heart of criminals. Sneaking around the aslym, hiding on statues and watching as your enemies get more and more terrified as you slowly pick them off is absolutely brilliant. The "super villains" are very well represented, Scarecrow's surreal visions being particularly superb. And overall the game just feels incredibly "tight", the combat is fluid, the story is superb and ticks along at a decent pace, and the environments are suitably gothic and atmospheric.

Arkham City should've been the game to be in this spot, after all it's a sequel that's bigger and better and with more. But for some reason, it's just not as "together" I suppose. Characters in that game seem to make a cameo, whereas they get full-blown parts to play in AA. But really, it's not by a lot - both games are incredible, but Arkham Asylum holds better memories for me.

So what do you guys think? Is Arkham Asylum worthy of the praise it gets? What memories do you have of it? Discuss here!
ImageImage
Highlight

Re: Today I'm playing - Arkham Asylum!

Postby naito » 13 Apr 2012, 01:38

Arkham Asylum's fun, but probably the best thing about it, is it put's you directly, and in full control... of The Batman. No other superhero game has perfectly re-created that experience, to play as your favourite superhero, then the Arkham series.

Though X-Men Origins: Wolverine does come close.
I use to frequent/lurk here, under the alias of "Grovr". That was 3 years ago.
naito

Postby Emperor Evil » 13 Apr 2012, 07:56

While I enjoyed Arkham Asylum, I thought Arkham City was the better game. It had all the villains from Asylum (minus Scarecrow) plus new ones (Two-Face, Ra's al Ghul, Hush etc), I enjoyed the story more and Arkham City as a place was just far more interesting to be in than Arkham Asylum. The one thing that would've made the game perfect though is Scarecrow. Why was he left out? His dream sequences were the highlight of Asylum and they would've worked brilliantly in Arkham City.

Having said that I don't think Arkham Asylum is a bad game (far from it) I just felt that AC was a bigger celebration of all things Batman and if Rocksteady decide to make a third, which seems likely judging by the amount of easter eggs in Arkham City, then they're going to have to do a ruddy good job to top it.
#puglyf
Emperor Evil

Postby Minimobi » 13 Apr 2012, 09:10

Arkham Asylum is fantastic. I remember sitting down with it on launch day and finishing it (including riddler membrobilia) 100% in a week.
Derp Gremlin is watching you...
Minimobi

Postby deKay » 13 Apr 2012, 09:19

About 90% of the way through Arkham Asylum I realised why I liked it so much. Batman is a Metroidvania game.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby Darkxaur » 13 Apr 2012, 12:24

Crikey, where do I start with this game?

-Merely walking around as Bats is badass. I can't think of any other game that makes the mere act of moving awesome.

-Paul Dini on writing, Kevin Conroy as Batman, Mark Hammil as Joker and Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn. It's a Batman: The animated series reunion, and that is an epic win in itself.

-All of the references to other characters within Batman continuity, most of which were present in the Riddler trophy challenges. Dat Calender Man-incidentally one of Paul Dini's favourite obscure characters, who finally managed to get him into an episode of Batman: The brave and the bold.

-Musical awesomeness following effective Batman-ing: Managing to take out all but one of the goons in a room without being noticed results in a brilliant score being played and the empowering sight of a terrified lone survivor randomly jumping at shadows.

-Although the sequel smoothed the combat system's flaws out a bit, taking on entire mobs of goons was a hoot as you piled in with counters, gadgets mid-fight and swoosh-y takedowns; all adding to the Batman mystique.

-Scarecrow's hallucination sequences, the later instances of which doing some serious 4th wall breaking with fake console crashes an entire re-jigged version of the game's opening sections! A shame they never revisited this level of wooky in the sequel.

-Arkham Asylum holds the distinction of having one of the the best kept secrets in gaming ever. A secret room within the game detailing the sequel only became known when Rocksteady released screenshots a year after release. Explosive gel was planted, Minds (and walls) were blown.
Darkxaur

Postby Tamzily01 » 13 Apr 2012, 14:34

I've never played the full version of AA (just the demo), but I do know what you mean about the villains/enemies in Arkham City being more like cameos, particularly Croc and Calendar Man. The sames goes for Azrael, but then again, he may be more prominent in the possible sequel.

Darkxaur wrote:-All of the references to other characters within Batman continuity, most of which were present in the Riddler trophy challenges. Dat Calender Man-incidentally one of Paul Dini's favourite obscure characters, who finally managed to get him into an episode of Batman: The brave and the bold.

Actually, Calendar Man's cell in AA is more a reference to The Long Halloween than it is to TB&TB.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby deKay » 13 Apr 2012, 14:53

Darkxaur wrote:-Arkham Asylum holds the distinction of having one of the the best kept secrets in gaming ever. A secret room within the game detailing the sequel only became known when Rocksteady released screenshots a year after release. Explosive gel was planted, Minds (and walls) were blown.

To be fair though, the room didn't exist before a game update which was applied well after the game's release and around the time the sequel's first details were released.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby EighteenSky » 13 Apr 2012, 15:09

I loved Arkham Asylum when it was released, not my favourite comic based game but I enjoyed it immensely. Arkham City never appealed to me though which I find odd.
EighteenSky

Postby danbish » 13 Apr 2012, 17:03

Arkham Asylum is one seriously good game, I've played it a few times and own in on 360 and PC.

Kudos for the idea too, it's great!
Highlight wrote:I was guilty (as I'm sure a lot are) of finishing a game, then consigning it to memory, never to actually experience again but think of fondly when I recall it

There's loads of games that I've done this with and still do. I have my own personal list that I want to play through again but sadly I don't get much gaming time between work and uni, plus I have quite a backlog of games to clear first.

I will some day, I've promised myself...
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby Cyberguy » 13 Apr 2012, 21:27

Arkham City tops it, but AA is still an incredibly awesome game that influenced everything in the sequel.

Perfect combat, probably my most favourite stealth gameplay in a video game ever, great characters, it's fantastic and you actually feel like the Bat. AA suffered from its dire boss battles (especially the final boss) and the dull, repetitive Killer Croc section, yet I still really enjoyed it, and I managed to do all the Riddler stuff.

Playing AC, I know there is a hint to a third game (I reckon it'd be called Batman: Gotham City or something), and if this is true, I am very excited.
Thanks to TJ Hiphop for avatar and sig
Cyberguy

Postby Highlight » 14 Apr 2012, 00:17

28:

Star Wars: Rogue Leader (Gamecube, 2002)

I love Star Wars. Not in a sense of being able to name all the races and planets and timeline and whatnot, but enough to know that exciting spaceship battles, lightsabre duels and The Force are all pretty cool. Whilst the new trilogy is pretty good (what? It is!) the originals I remember watching when I was younger and will always have a place in my heart. And like when kids watch anything that they like, I instantly wanted to copy it! So getting a good Star Wars game was a must.

The first game I got was "Star Wars" on the GameBoy, which was actually pretty good. After that came Super Star Wars on the SNES, which is absolutely brilliant (I can still clearly remember the day I went and bought it from Argos!). Then, with the N64, we had Shadows of the Empire, which was good, but other than the opening level, was devoid of what I really wanted - to play the scenes from the film. The live those exciting jetbike chases and battles and wave a lightsabre around. And the next game to come out really recitifed those problems. It was a game called "Rogue Squadron", and it had you flying round in an X-Wing (and several other Rebel craft) fighting off the Empire in memorable locations such as Tatooine, Bespin, and Hoth. It was utterly stellar, and naturally, a sequel on the N64s successor was high on my wishlist.

Before the launch of the Gamecube there was a magazine called Cube, which was editted by a chap called Chandra Nair (a name you may recognise!). Looking at the pictures of this game almost made me smack my gob at the visuals. Despite being ten years old, it still looks superb today - massive space battles with wave upon wave of fighters, stunning sunsets over watery planets, and the firey remnants of TIE fighters screaming all around you. But far from just flashing it's graphical quality, Rogue Leader kept the same core gameplay that made Rogue Squadron so great, with the added bonus of huge space battles to boot.

Going back and playing it now, I have to say that my favourite level is still Bespin. Lifted almost exactly from Rogue Squadron (where it was the best level too!), it has you defending floating platforms of silos against imperial TIE fighters and floating balloon gun-batteries. But unlike the N64 level, once you've done that you get whisked off to Cloud City, where you can find a Cloud Car and zoom in between the streets and valleys. It's great fun! And whether it's that or fighting the Battle of Hoth or blowing up the Death Star, there really isn't a Star Wars game that makes you feel as part of your favourite scenes as this one.

It also has great replay value, awarding medals for how well you do in a mission, and giving you different crafts and levels after gaining so many. And they're definitely worth getting too, as it allows you to play some great scenes - I particularly like the one where you're in the gun turrets of the Millennium Falcon fighting off TIEs, but there's also the famous chase through the asteroid field from The Empire Strikes Back, as well as the attack on the Death Star where you're Darth Vader trying to destroy the Rebel attack!

Since then, there have been other great Star Wars games. Jedi Outcast was great, and the fact I don't like first-person-shooters (let alone PC first-person-shooters) yet loved it should be an indicator as to how good it is. Lego Star Wars too had a wonderful charm which made it a popular hit. Star Wars Battlefront also managed to create the same excitement of faction vs faction conflict, but loses out to Rogue Leader simply because space battles>ground battles. To me, this is the definitive Star Wars game, and even if you're not a fan, it's a great space shooter in it's own right.

So what do you think? Is Rogue Leader the best ever Star Wars game? Are you surprised as I am that Lucasarts havn't made another sequel? What are your memories of it?
ImageImage
Highlight

Re: Today I'm playing - Rogue Leader!

Postby D.J » 14 Apr 2012, 08:11

I struggled with Rogue Leader, kept getting killed all the time.
ImageImage
PSN: SpacedDJ "No more twist"
D.J

Postby danbish » 14 Apr 2012, 10:33

Not a Star Wars fan, sorry.
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby Minimobi » 14 Apr 2012, 10:57

Rouge Leader was amazing, probably the best SW game ever with the other contenders being Rouge Squadron (I loved it), the brilliant Super star wars games or Battlefront. thinking about it, before Unleashed, Star Wars video games were actually done well, now we have...

*sigh*...THAT!
Derp Gremlin is watching you...
Minimobi

Postby wombat samurai » 14 Apr 2012, 11:14

Rogue Leader was absolutely amazing. It's pretty much perfect for what it is. I also ejoyed Rebel Strike, fighting on foot wasn't as fun as flying ships but it was still good where it counted.
wombat samurai

Postby rout » 14 Apr 2012, 11:41

D.J wrote:I struggled with Rogue Leader, kept getting killed all the time.

This.

It was so cool though I so I kept on playing.
rout

Next