Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

7 Best Mario Kart items

Comment on site articles.

The Blue Shell makes the list...

One of the best things about Mario Kart is the amazing items. Mario Kart 7 recently introduced the Tanooki and Luck 7 power-ups but neither feature in this list of the best Mario Kart items.

... read more

7 Best Mario Kart items

Postby skyluigi » 16 Feb 2012, 17:32

Hmmm... it'll have to be the Egg from Double Dash!!. I mean, it targets opponents, makes them spin out and then lays some lovely items out for you on the track. What could be better?
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

7 Best Mario Kart items

Postby zelda97 » 16 Feb 2012, 17:33

Banana peels, seriusly?
yo please PM me your phantom hourglass friend code with name for ds. if it works i will PM you my code
thanks,
Zelda97
zelda97

7 Best Mario Kart items

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 16 Feb 2012, 17:37

Too be fair, I wrote that Banana quote in September last year. And "recently" refers to in the last couple of years, compared to my Mario Kart career which started in 1997. So yeah.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: 7 Best Mario Kart items

Postby colourblindyoshi » 16 Feb 2012, 17:50

bowsers spiky shell on double dash. baby park just turned into insane alleway, and it was mental on every course in general, as they were generally tighter in double dash than wii or 7
colourblindyoshi

Postby garsh303 » 16 Feb 2012, 17:56

Definitely not any of the Mario Kart 7 items. They're a bit much, a bit overpowered as well.
garsh303

Postby Lego master » 16 Feb 2012, 17:57

I'm in it!!!! Even though half of my text is destroyed...
Lego master

Postby Targey » 16 Feb 2012, 18:50

Makes me wonder why the blue shell is still in the series. Most weapons in Mario Kart give the player who uses them an advantage - mushrooms give the user a speed boost, green shells act as a 1-hit shield and can be used to deal with the person just ahead of them, etc. The Spiny Shell is practically the only item in the entire series that grants no advantage to you whatsoever; you have to be in 4th place or below to acquire it, and the only person it's guaranteed to hit is the one in 1st. What happens when you use it? The racer in 1st potentially risks losing his position as well as the race, and you're still in the same position you were in before you even got the shell. It's especially unfair when someone is hit by it just a few metres away from the finish, or when there is little opportunity for them to reclaim their place.

"I know it's hated but there's nothing quite like it for mixing things up."

What about every other item in the game? The bob-omb? The lightning bolt? The starman? They can all do an equally decent job of mixing things up.
Targey

Postby Davebo » 16 Feb 2012, 18:54

WHO VOTED BLUE SHELL THAT PEACE OF **** CAN *** A **** AND **** THEN**** A **** FRICKIN ****** * * ** * * **f*LKAJLAKHAH8* *a*fhe*hf*a***** DO NOT WANT

I had an entire 150cc cup where EVERY RACE I was hit by a blue shell and came second. And maybe it wouldnt be so bad if it was moderated, but FAR TO MANY TIMES online i get

BLUE SHELL!
RED SHELL!
LIGHTNING BOLT!

and them im lucky to scravenge a 5th place.
and the person who throws it doesnt even get anything out of it! AAAHHHH!!
RAGE!!!
RAGE!!
RAGE!
Davebo

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 16 Feb 2012, 20:04

My favourite item is the lucky seven. I just love using loads of items at once.
Dalekbuster523

Postby thenintendoer » 16 Feb 2012, 20:10

i'd have to say the lighning bolt is the worst item at least with the blue shell you know its coming so you can dispose your weapons on the track before it hits you or even dodge it(yes it is possible) but theres almost nothing you can do against the bolt
thenintendoer

Postby Lego master » 16 Feb 2012, 21:27

I quite liked the pow block!
Lego master

Postby fisher2007 » 16 Feb 2012, 22:52

Lucky seven.
fisher2007

Postby RiksilveR » 16 Feb 2012, 22:56

To be fair, the blue shell can be advantageous to you if you line it up with the person in front, and it usually ends up hitting a few people in the middle of the pack anyway. And it can actually help you if you're in first; if you keep an eye out on the bottom screen and find out someone's got one before they fire it, you can let the person in second get in front and watch them get hit instead.

Also, HOW DID THE BOB-OMB NOT GET ON THIS LIST?!?!? GRRRR.
RiksilveR

Postby MikeIt0rNot69 » 16 Feb 2012, 23:27

Go fire balls. They are like green shells but you get more then one or just 3
Michael Pang
MikeIt0rNot69

Postby Targey » 16 Feb 2012, 23:52

RiksilveR wrote:To be fair, the blue shell can be advantageous to you if you line it up with the person in front, and it usually ends up hitting a few people in the middle of the pack anyway. And it can actually help you if you're in first; if you keep an eye out on the bottom screen and find out someone's got one before they fire it, you can let the person in second get in front and watch them get hit instead.

Doesn't change the fact the triple red shell item can also do that. Dropping out of first so whoever's in second can take the hit isn't helpful/advantageous in the slightest; they're still going to be behind you, plus slowing down also allows other racers to potentially overtake you. Plus there's also the fact you might be too far ahead to drop your position before the shell is fired. And before someone says, "You can just slow down and take the person in second with you," there's always the chance that you miss the person in second, and even if you get him/her caught up in it, you then still have to compete with them for the pole position. The only way you can avoid a blue shell is if you have a mushroom on you (though if you're in 1st, this is rather unlikely) or if you gain enough altitude while hangliding that the shell actually misses you and continues going... for a endless circuit of the track until it eventually hits you.

What I also don't understand is how in MK7, Nintendo dropped a few of the items which actually gave you an advantage, whilst keeping this thing in. Take for example the Boo, which is pretty much a Starman of sorts; your character ignores any environments (like dirt or thick grass) and passes through any hazard/racer. Even when the boo doesn't get to steal someone else's weapon, it still allows you to take some shortcuts without fear of slowing down. But apparently this wasn't that good a weapon - a good weapon would ideally be a cheap method of costing someone their first place even when you will rarely benefit from that. I really don't understand what the blue shell is still doing in Mario Kart, and I never will. It really is the worst weapon.
Targey

Postby LewiiG » 17 Feb 2012, 00:19

IMO:
Bullet Bill = Noob item. I dont really care about them though they don't affect decent players who are far away from them.

Star = Okayish because again, they aren't likely to affect anyone who is doing well. And unlike the Bullet Bill, the star doesn't hold your hand.

Red shells = Fine. Because they can easily be defended against. Never usually is a time where I'm not holding a Banana or a Shell etc. Triple versions can break defences unless you have triple banana. But thankfully they introduced the Tanooki Tail for ultimate defence. So Triples are now fair sort of.

Green Shells = Perfect. Fair play, fair aim, fair everthing. You can also angle your shot to hit sides of characters so you can get past banana defence etc.

Bananas = Same as the Green Shell, Fair. Putting these on strategic places like ramps and between Thwomps (Snes Rainbow Road lol) is cool.

Chain Chomp = Basically the old bullet bill. But minorly different. Havent played DD in a while. can't remember weather its possible to hit the babies whilst using the chain chomp.

Blue Shell = I could write a massive long paragraph or an essay about why Blue Shells should be taken out of the game enitirely. But in short, I hate them. They void the game of all of its fairness and punish the players for doing well. I know you can dodge them but the chances of having a mushroom and being in first place is low. Why the hell they're on this list I dont know. Who the hell decided to put them in this game, I dont wanna know. How no one at Nintendo has yet decide to have an optione to AT LEAST turn them off, I have no idea. And they were on about looking to 'balance items' with Mario Kart 7... Great job.

Thankfully you can turn items off or certain items only but I still think you should be able to just fully customize it yourself. Turn of that stupid lightning bolt too...

BTW just to get things straight, I love the Mario Kart series as a whole, and friendly matches are fun, but when online or on grand Prix and some stupid unfair damn Blue Shell or Thunder-whilst-gliding BC happens it just gets annoying. I don't rage at the game because of Blue Shells, they just waste my time when having to start cups all over again (finally got 3 stars on all cups MK7, had to retry about a total of 7 times because of stuff like Blue Shells). Also hate how Blue Shells etc give noobs a false sense of victory. Reminds me of items in SSBB. Real victory equals fair items. What a long post. Well there's my say on items in games xD

Oh! Mushrooms! They should be on here! the possibilities! I love them! :D
LewiiG

Postby Jack1123 » 17 Feb 2012, 10:19

Mine would have to be the lucky7 because you can have lots of that in 1 item! I think that should have been in the list because all those over items were there but in lucky7 you can have 7 of those items in 1 so its a bit stupid its not on the list! :evil: :!:
Here is my 3DS friend code Friend code: 4425-1622-4169
Name Jack
pm if you add me
(Please only add me if you have got nintendo letter box!)
Jack1123

Postby TheImprobableOne » 17 Feb 2012, 11:59

A Mushroom. Simply because of how great it can be when you avoid a blue shell with one, and how on a good course you can go from 6th to 1st just by taking a shortcut.
Is it worth having a sig for just a month?
Come November, I'll still be on Steam and maybe Facebook if you ask nicely.
I'm the invisible man.
TheImprobableOne

Postby Da_Epic_Fail » 17 Feb 2012, 12:03

Bananas are great when you are in first, if you hold them behind you (along with any kind of shell except blue), they protect you from enemy red shells, which is more than useful when the enemy likes to launch several of them at you at once.

The way I avoid the blue shell is by glancing at the bottom screen, if you seen an enemy has a blue shell, I slow down and let the player behind me pass before it is launched, since it usually takes the AI several seconds to use it's item.
Da_Epic_Fail

Postby james1330 » 17 Feb 2012, 14:38

Best moment ever...first place, approaching the line. See a red shell and a blue shell coming up behind me at the same time. Red shell hits first, at the perfect moment to throw me forward and out of the blast radius of the blue shell. Best moment ever. Oh, this was on Mario Kart DS about a week ago.
james1330

Postby Zenuous » 17 Feb 2012, 14:55

I like the blue shell, even though I tend to be first and get hit with them plently of times.

But how was I always in first? I just get ahead, then keep putting bananas and shells behind my kart. a triple banana can take forever to remove from someone, you know? but a blue shell clears that. Double Dash probably had the worst blue shell which continued through accouple of games, like Mario kart DS and such, but to me it seems a lot more balanced now in Mario kart 7, actually travelling across the ground for the most part and taking most of the leading racers out. the others had wings so they just flew over them.

Also why isn't the Tanooki leaf on this list, a weapon you can use as a melee, batting away objects coming behind and infront of you? YES PLEASE.
Zenuous

Postby dirge71 » 17 Feb 2012, 23:41

Chain chomp...meh
Green Shell...classic!
Blue Shell...WTF NABS WAT U DOIN STUPIDEST ITEM EVVVVVEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!
Star..classic
Bananas...classic and despite appearances, useful!
Bullet Bill.. good but overpowered and recquires no skill whatsoever. golden mushroom is a better last place item
Red Shell...what a classic! best item ever.
dirge71

Postby Booman » 10 Mar 2012, 15:51

Please don't tell me you forgot about the lightning. As in the Mario 25th Anniversary magazine (GameMaster), the lightning power-up is great for making opponents fall into their pits, shrinking and riding over them (which is rather funny), etc.
Booman