Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U games

Comment on site articles.

Tonnes of new entries, but it's Mario that platforms his way straight to the top of the pile

Just bought a Wii U? There are at least 10 excellent games that you can buy for your console and with the likes of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U to come, the future is even brighter for Nintendo's console. For now, here are the best Wii U games you can buy.

... read more

Best Wii U games

Postby PeterR » 15 Nov 2012, 23:46

Didn't you say this was going to be at midnight? Its a bit tricky to comment on the scores having only played demo's of two of the games at MCM (NSMBU and nintendo land) but they seem to be about what I'd expect from my limited time with them as they were rather good fun. The ZombiU score will be interesting to see. Also not a good start for sonic on WiiU.
PeterR

Best Wii U games

Postby IPecksU » 15 Nov 2012, 23:47

Please say you haven't reviewed ZombiU yet, and I'm surprised with Sonic because the ps3/360 version got an 8.6 from IGN
Last edited by IPecksU on 15 Nov 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
IPecksU

Best Wii U games

Postby Nintendalek42 » 15 Nov 2012, 23:51

I'm surprised NSMBU got a worse score than NSMB2, it seemed much fresher. I guess it probably boils down to reviewer personality, but then again I haven't played the Wii U game have I? I guess the full review will make things clear. It seems Rayman Legends has already got a margin to win, as this mario isn't even gold award.
It seems the launch line-up as a whole is better than on the 3DS, but there's no instant-classic equivalent to Zelda Twilight Princess. I was expecting a higher score for the Sega Racing Game, but I wasn't going to buy it anyway.
Nintendalek42

Re: Best Wii U games

Postby tomonm » 15 Nov 2012, 23:53

You can find out what we think of ZombiU at midnight on Saturday.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 15 Nov 2012, 23:59

So thus far, no games to blow us away. I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for christmas, so I hope there are some more intriguing titles out by then.
JoeOdranDoran

Postby CBTIRL » 16 Nov 2012, 00:05

Mr Scullion, is there a single player career mode different to the co-op manager mode in FIFA, and if yes it the 12 or 13 version
Nintendo Network ID: Insert_Pun_Here
3DS FC:1461-6464-0543
PSN:conben12
Twitter:@CBennett_12
CBTIRL

Postby tomonm » 16 Nov 2012, 00:06

JoeOdranDoran wrote:So thus far, no games to blow us away. I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for christmas, so I hope there are some more intriguing titles out by then.

Hang on! Nintendo Land has got a 90! That pretty much makes it essential.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby MatthewONM » 16 Nov 2012, 00:09

JoeOdranDoran wrote:So thus far, no games to blow us away. I'm thinking of getting a Wii U for christmas, so I hope there are some more intriguing titles out by then.

I'd argue that a 90% score for Nintendo Land counts as "blown away". With the launch of the new machine (and a new look ONM to accompany it) we're treating it like a blank reviews slate. Games are going to have to work much harder for higher scores than before - personally, I think NSMBU is the best NSMB game to date, but it's still not a 90% - and hopefully people will see the merit in lower scores as a result. One thing we've introduced in the new magazine is a medal system: gold (90+), silver (80+) and bronze (70+), as we want to reclaim the 70s as respectable scores. By this logic, these are all pretty strong games. And Sonic is still above average. Just.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby tomonm » 16 Nov 2012, 00:11

Nintendalek42 wrote:I'm surprised NSMBU got a worse score than NSMB2, it seemed much fresher. I guess it probably boils down to reviewer personality, but then again I haven't played the Wii U game have I? I guess the full review will make things clear.

You are right. If you read the review it will make things clear as it justifies the score perfectly. Matthew has done a great job on it. Listen to the podcast next week, too as that explains things further. What I will say is that the score is the reviewer's personal opinion (although we do have second opinions in the new-look ONM) and the only thing he needs to do is score the game in a way that matches the tone of the review. He doesn't have to mark it according to what another reviewer said about a game on a different format.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby barrybarryk » 16 Nov 2012, 00:15

I'm actually really looking forward to playing Nintendo Land and NSMBU

And yes, I'm aware I'm a big child lol
barrybarryk

Postby Birdy1994 » 16 Nov 2012, 00:17

Even though there are a few great retail games (Including NintendoLand Hooray for Deluxe Edition) I think the Download games are what really shine; Chasing Aurora, Little Infereno, Mighty Switch Force HD, Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo, Mutant Mudds Deluxe, The Cave, Cloudberry Kingdom, Runner 2 etc. I just hope for an Awesomenauts port. Also can we use 3DS eshop credit on Wii U
Birdy1994

Postby Blue Toad » 16 Nov 2012, 00:21

Oh for the love of...grow up, ONM. I've been lucky enough to receive SASRT a day early and it's an impeccable racing game bursting with creativity and ambition. The track design is wonderous, the fanservice of the IPs tremendous while still adhering to people who aren't familar with them and the idea of one flaw being a mode that is 'interminable' is ridiculous. Are you telling me you hate content that lasts you a good long while and you just want to rush through your games? The mode isn't repetitive at all IMO. As a gamer, I want something I can constantly go back to, and this game really looks like it's top notch for that stuff from what I've played so far. I can't understand why you would put it down as a flaw. Not to mention the multiplayer has a ton of options and some of the weapons are very creative such as the Bee Swarm and the Hot Rod Motor. If you look beyond 'oh that homes in so it's clearly a red shell' you'll realise you're wearing tinted glasses, albeit not of the rose kind.

Honestly, I can understand you have a different opinion and I respect that completely, but there's stating an opinion and then there's just refusal to admire the good qualities. I'm fed up of this constant bias. You haven't compared it to Mario Kart but I can imagine the review for this will have constant finger pointing and every sentence will feature it. Yet when TTT2 comes out there won't be any references to say Dead or Alive Dimensions despite it being of the same genre. I'm done buying this magazine. It used to be wonderful and a great reading experience for me, but now you've sadly fallen victim into the hole many reviewers find themselves trapped into. Bias.

Thank you for reading this and the good things you have provided to me as a reader over the years. I wish you better critics in the future than you were to this game.
Last edited by Blue Toad on 16 Nov 2012, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Toad

Postby MatthewONM » 16 Nov 2012, 00:30

Blue Toad wrote:Honestly, I can understand you have a different opinion and I respect that completely, but there's stating an opinion and then there's just refusal to admire the good qualities. I'm fed up of this constant bias. You haven't compared it to Mario Kart but I can imagine the review for this will have constant finger pointing and every sentence will feature it. Yet when TTT2 comes out there won't be any references to say Dead or Alive Dimensions despite it being of the same genre. I'm done buying this magazine. It used to be wonderful and a great reading experience for me, but now you've sadly fallen victim into the hole many reviewers find themselves trapped into. Bias.

Are you seriously accusing us of bias in a review you haven't even read yet? I'm glad you dig the game (which you haven't played on Wii U, I should add), but until you've read Joe's review in full, I'd hold fire on laying into it. Spoilers: it hardly mentions Mario Kart.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 16 Nov 2012, 01:01

I'm really surprise by the score you gave Sonic and all Stars Racing Transformed,considering IGN loved the PS3/360,I was expecting a 80% score.
Still going to get it,if it gets better reviews.

Tekken looks bloody brilliant,as well.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Mr Meaner » 16 Nov 2012, 01:12

*looks at the score for ASRT and the reasons why*

"interminable world tournament, poor local multiplayer and uninspiring weapons"

*Sees the ONM staff trying to defend it*

Well... at least now we know the exact date and time that the review guys here lost the plot.
Mr Meaner

Postby ABCABlue » 16 Nov 2012, 01:27

The Review wrote:With your vehicle transforming into a boat and a plane, Sumo seem to have followed Mario Kart 7's lead even if the results are very different.

This isn't true, and it would be a real shame if that hasn't been mentioned in the review. http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/03/sonic-all-stars-racing-dev-talks-similarities-between-mario-kart-7/ I'll read the full review of ASRT when it rolls around- the score seems harsh but can't be fairly judged until I've played it myself, or at least until more reviews come about. It's just that I wanted to point out that land, sea and air angle of this game existed before Mario Kart 7 was announced. No copying going on from either side.
Last edited by ABCABlue on 16 Nov 2012, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
ABCABlue

Postby Autosaver » 16 Nov 2012, 01:30

Hey ONM, I noticed a lot of backlash toward your review. If you're wondering where it came from...
A Sonic forum.

So yeah, calm down guys. Please wait until ONM releases their full review. I really don't like how we're tearing apart a review based off of one paragraph (that usually sums up the review without details). Calling ONM fanboys is also kind of stupid since you A. Haven't played the Wii U game B. Are coming from a Sonic game forum.

Look, ONM is changing their review scale so it is going to be a bit harsher. If they used the old scale, I'm sure the game would have gotten a 7.5 or something similar. Mario Kart 7 on the other hand could have been dropped to an 8.0 or 8.5. And again, ONM has said Mario Kart isn't mentioned that often in the full review. So put down the torches screaming Mario Kart will be the focus of the review.

This is also just one review. It really gives a bad image when we jump over to accuse, hate, and destroy. Wait until other sites start sending in their scores, and wait until ONM releases theirs.
Autosaver

Postby hammster » 16 Nov 2012, 01:37

Man, people still get defensive about Sonic games?
My Twitter
Xbox Live: sir hamm2
hammster

Postby SunjunSoftware » 16 Nov 2012, 01:57

I'm going to hold out for Scribblenauts Unlimited. *nod nod*
SunjunSoftware

Postby leelamon » 16 Nov 2012, 02:21

I just want to say that the Sonic review is bogus IF the Wii U version is a competent port. I played the game on 360 all day and in no way possible could a decent port with the Wii U additions come out at a 62 score. Oh and I'm not a SEGA guy, I don't know any of the characters besides those from the Sonic franchise and I never owned a SEGA console in my life. If this game is polished and running stable there is just no way it could rank lower than buggy, unpolished messes like Assassins Creed Liberation (which I own) or Heroes of Ruin (which I also own).
leelamon

Postby dunc247 » 16 Nov 2012, 04:09

MatthewONM wrote: Games are going to have to work much harder for higher scores than before - personally, I think NSMBU is the best NSMB game to date, but it's still not a 90% - and hopefully people will see the merit in lower scores as a result. One thing we've introduced in the new magazine is a medal system: gold (90+), silver (80+) and bronze (70+), as we want to reclaim the 70s as respectable scores.

This is so good to here ONM, definitely agree!
Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer finalist: 2009, 2010
dunc247

Postby ChandraONM » 16 Nov 2012, 07:47

Dear oh dear, the internet just gets worse by the minute.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

For those who posted the unreasonably, knee-jerk responses, ONM does not need to defend its scores.

The new mag explains the scoring system.
The scores in the mag are the scores we think games deserve.
End of.

Not everyone will agree, though I should say that the 360/PS3 scores of a similar game have little or no relevance to a Nintendo magazine. And we certainly don't look at other publication scores and go "OMG we must be wrong, let's change it!" We were as shocked by other people's higher scores as some of you seem to be at our lower score.
And that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion so long as it's informed and based on fact.

If a score makes you so angry that you want to stop buying the mag (seriously?) then stop buying the mag.
Otherwise grow a pair and be confident enough in yourself and your own opinion that you don't need to freak out on a forum.
ChandraONM
ONM Staff

Postby HyrulianToad » 16 Nov 2012, 07:55

Hopefully zombiu gets a good score , I'm also interested in how you'll score the ports.Any idea when suscribers will get the magazine?
HyrulianToad

Postby Xenobladeperson » 16 Nov 2012, 08:28

Well at last ONM are giving Mario games under 90% now. Maybe someday they'll give it something in the 70s.

Was there anything under 62%?
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby thecoolmana777 » 16 Nov 2012, 08:35

Love the new system , can't wait to read the full reviews in the mag :)
Have an awesome day :D
3DS FC- 3394-3533-6027, NNID-Thecoolmana777 PM me
thecoolmana777

Next