Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U review

Comment on site articles.

The best version of the best Tekken game in years

Tekken has long been a series at which Nintendo fans have glared enviously. Since its debut on the PlayStation in 1995 they have had to sit back and watch as a multitude of games have passed them by, with only a mediocre Game Boy Advance version tossed their way a decade ago. This all changed earlier this year when the first 'proper' game, Tekken 3D, arrived on the 3DS, but Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition is a far more important release. After 17 years of waiting, we finally have a Tekken game on a Nintendo home console and it's a beauty.

... read more

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U review

Postby KairiZero » 01 Dec 2012, 14:56

this is going to be my next game i think, I do love my fighting games! now for capcom to release Street Fighter 5..

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero

Re: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U review

Postby leftoverlunch » 02 Dec 2012, 00:53

first post using my wii u. Tekken arrived in the post today, and it is the best fighting game i have played in years.
leftoverlunch

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 03 Dec 2012, 00:43

I really did enjoyed the rather short Tekken 3D Prime Edition,so I'll be looking out for this in the sales after Christmas.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby retrogeezer » 12 Dec 2012, 14:28

What a complete waste of money. I've been a fan of this series since the original 17 years ago. The review given by Chris is shallow and does not cover how it plays, any online games, items you can buy with gold earned etc. controller issue (as you can only use the gamepad in 1 player mode) although each button is configurable handy for lefties. The sound comes from the gamepad or the tv you can't select both. Like Chris says there is no story mode so you will soon be bored of it as all the characters except one are available immediately. Which when you finish 1 player in arcade mode you are given to select even if you complete it in easy mode. There are no incentives to keep you playing this game. The stages with walls are extremely annoying once you are backed up against a wall, chairs, trees etc. it is very hard to get away from a pasting, if you are lucky enough to get away at least a huge percentage of your energy has gone. It is nigh on immpossible to tag against a wall unless you get a lucky break and hold down R and prerss X for a combo tag. The idea of buying items like guns is ridiculous, if I wanted to play a shooting game I would of bought one. The online feature is very simple, you can't see the opposing players name until the fight has synced and if you have just beaten or been beaten by the same player you could end up playing him again and again and again. If you cancel the game after you have seen the opposing players name you are shown a message that says, last fight didn't finish properly you have been imposed a penalty, nowhere does it state what this penalty is. Although these points sounds trivial spelling on the game is in US-English so cancelled becomes canceled, The graphics are sharp enough but not enough to show off with, whilst the fight is loading the scrolling text jitters and stumbles along not something you expect in a next gen console. This game is a massive let down regarding story depth (rather lack of story), lack of online fighting choices, no player can select the stages or opposing player (a list of who is available to fight would be better), issues with the wall stages. This going back on my shelf until my mates come round for a bit of fun fighting, this is not a serious fighting game. Hopefully Streetfighter can improve on this dramatically.
retrogeezer

Postby Charismatichris » 09 Feb 2013, 23:46

I have the game and its great but the ONE thing I HATE is that when you arrive on the screen where they are introducing the fighters for the next fight where both fighters in each team standing behind colourful background s they made it so the character that spoke english in the previous games Now speak Japanese. Last time i checked Eddy Gordo and Lily speak English thats the only letdown in and other Terrific game
Charismatichris

Postby Elwyn games » 03 Mar 2013, 10:52

I quite enjoyed seeing Link (yoshimitsu) fight with mario (kuma.)
Elwyn games