Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Any ONM free gifts gone wrong?

Have your say on the latest issue of the magazine

Has your little free DS got upside down pictures?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes : 24

Any ONM free gifts gone wrong?

Postby joshy v » 28 Aug 2009, 20:46

I picked up issue 47 of ONM today and got hyped up over my free DS keyring. I got home, opened the packaging, took a 5 second happy smile at the cover and then looked at my free gift. When I opened my little Phantom Hourglass DS i instantly noticed that both the little pictures inside were upside down lol. It's still a great gift regardless of its faults but it made me think back through my free ONM gifts to remember other gifts that had minor faults, which lead to me thinking about this topic. Have you had any free gifts from ONM (or any other magazine for that matter) that had something wrong with them? Also has this new free ONM gift had the same problem as mine?
BOOM BOOM BOOM! Now lemmie hear you say Wii U!!!
joshy v

Postby nintendorulz » 29 Aug 2009, 17:39

My DS was fine but I ahve had problems in the past with free gifts (not just from ONM)
Featured in issues 40, 44, 69 and 73 of ONM
Twitter - @Raphael_Kiyani
nintendorulz

Postby thenintendoer » 29 Aug 2009, 18:21

yes in one issue i didnt get a free gift at all
thenintendoer

Postby Dark_Dragon01 » 29 Aug 2009, 18:38

Wiimote keyring.
A cheap looking, cheap feeling, cheap in general gift.
I never got that issue, but a buddy of mine was showing his off.
\m/ (゚д゚) \m/
Dark_Dragon01

Postby MiniJimmy » 29 Aug 2009, 18:55

If only the magasine had a decent gift it would be one of the best magasines in a long time. It was a good idea but but it was just made out of cheep materials.
MiniJimmy

Postby The Pumpkin King » 29 Aug 2009, 21:00

MiniJimmy! wrote:If only the magasine had a decent gift it would be one of the best magasines in a long time. It was a good idea but but it was just made out of cheep materials.

The Zelda Hyrule crest badge fits under that catagory.
"The point is that there is no point is driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might as well save your sanity for later"- Douglas Adams
The Pumpkin King

Postby yubel » 29 Aug 2009, 21:11

Well problems with my free gifts have been that the free ds keyring dosnt work,cant be played unfortunatly.
-Nintendo Yubellion-
PSN:Alex-Haldane
Nobody ever died being too careful
yubel

Postby Wiimote » 30 Aug 2009, 00:28

yubel wrote:Well problems with my free gifts have been that the free ds keyring dosnt work,cant be played unfortunatly.

Lmao so funny :lol: very good yubel. I haven't had any problems with ONM free gifts (i thhnk) but i no my wiimote key ring has been connected to my keys for a long time that the paint has gone from the buttons. Its just a plain white wiimote now.
Awesome friends they know who they are :wink:
'Never underestimate Nintendo'- Chandra Nair.
3DS FC 4511-0577-5238 Please pm me if you add me.
AC:NL dream address 6000 2399 3461
Wiimote

Postby joshy v » 30 Aug 2009, 00:44

Wiimote wrote:
yubel wrote:Well problems with my free gifts have been that the free ds keyring dosnt work,cant be played unfortunatly.

Lmao so funny :lol: very good yubel. I haven't had any problems with ONM free gifts (i thhnk) but i no my wiimote key ring has been connected to my keys for a long time that the paint has gone from the buttons. Its just a plain white wiimote now.

mine went the same..... until worn down to the point of just collapsing into little pieces :(
joshy v

Postby 5pan1el » 30 Aug 2009, 08:47

yes i got an animal crossing picture
Winner of league 3 in official ONMs Mario kart wii league
winner of league 2 in official OMN mario kart wii league
League 1 here I come
5pan1el

Postby Flash7 » 30 Aug 2009, 21:51

There was the whole "valued subscribers get a worse gift with no proper explanation" fiasco.

Credit to Jam for my signature.
Flash7

Postby ILoveWii » 30 Aug 2009, 23:48

Most of the gifts are crap. The Wiimote keyring had half the buttons on it, the rest weren't there and they were all smudged up. That Frisbee was cracked in half and that Pokemon Figurine was just rubbish.

Oh and the recent DS one was rubbish too. Has a massive crack in the middle.

Urgh, why don't they stop giving free gifts and just drop the magazine price by a pound?

Or give us posters.
it is time to resurrect son
ILoveWii

Postby Rai13 » 30 Aug 2009, 23:53

To be fair, thw Mario Encyclopedia was good.
Guwuh: haha i bet while rai reads the economist and eats his pot noodle he's going to [third thing middle classers do]
Guwuh: and then he'll [stereotypical middle class activity]
Rai13
ONM Moderator

Postby joshy v » 31 Aug 2009, 03:44

Rai13 wrote:To be fair, thw Mario Encyclopedia was good.

the mario encyclopedia WAS good yes :) probably their best one, but i recall a dvd from ONM, it was a good one, it had a demo of SMG and showed the first brawl trailer, and some twilight princess gameplay, they should do dvd's again, or even better - GAME DEMO DISKS :shock:
joshy v

Postby Pappi » 31 Aug 2009, 09:20

Yes. Mine mutated into a massive strawberry and ate my guinea pigs face. :(
[b]I'm a LADDDEEEHHHH.[/b]
Pappi

Postby noodle link » 31 Aug 2009, 09:20

Some of the best free gifts were definitely the wiimote tin, the Hylian crest and the DS key-ring, but most of all is the poster packs!

ONM better make more.

Worst gift methinks was the wii sports resort frisbee, because it was crap quality and it didn't work.
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH~
Reviews and things.
Stream.
My Music Collection.
Last FM
noodle link

Postby KrikenKing » 31 Aug 2009, 11:20

The zip on that snazzy DS case broke after I put my DS Phat in it (which they said would fit). My Donkey Kong pin-badge pin never worked (and stabbed me), and the mini DS keywring keeps stapping in half when I open it (it's still very cool, though).

That said, I'm not at all fussed. If I ever wanted to waste my time buying Nintendo related plastics, I'd buy them myself. I don't even think of the gift when I open the magazine. And personally, I prefer posters.
Writing/verbal ability aside, your opinion is only as good as your explanation. Without one, it is just a simple reference upon many references...
KrikenKing

Postby darkman2300 » 03 Sep 2009, 21:42

Instead of getting the wii remote tin, I got another lil' pokemon figurine of Shieldon. And it was the exact same figurine I had in a previous issue! I'm not complaining mind, it looks like a staring contest when I make them face each other :D
Aggro crag wait for you is he's
darkman2300