Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Mega Man: An Old School Legend!

Comment on site articles.

As we approach the Man's 25th anniversary, we look back at the life of an old school legend

As Mega Man reaches his 25th anniversary tomorrow, what better time to look back over the career of an old hero from the NES era. From his NES debut in 1987 to his nails WiiWare outings, here's everything you need to know about the blue bot.

... read more

Mega Man: An Old School Legend!

Postby tgrech » 10 Dec 2009, 16:42

First reply!!!

Megaman is mint.
http://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested
tgrech

Postby Ai64 » 10 Dec 2009, 18:24

Megaman is soild but the games are hard as nails. I think the 10th could be the hardest of the bunch.
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby hardcoregamerrob » 10 Dec 2009, 18:29

megaman and the X series are the best :D.

my best memory is finding out all the bosses have weak points lol when i was younger i never knew it but like 3 years ago when i was on megaman 1 my mate said use 'ice on fire'.
i was like 'this was like 15 years ago they wouldnt even think about weak points back in those days'. i did what he said and it worked. i was shocked :shock:.
That made all the megaman games wayyyy easier after finding that out but the levels are still blooming hard :D
hardcoregamerrob

Postby irishmarcoos » 10 Dec 2009, 19:07

This is a great article and all...

But where is the STAR FORCE series? :? :x
irishmarcoos

Postby toffeeman30 » 10 Dec 2009, 20:54

underrated character,up there with mario and link. i prefer the retro games on the nes,though the snes version wasnt bad
toffeeman30

Postby StaraptorLV.X » 10 Dec 2009, 21:13

Megaman 9...the legend. It's as tough as nails and it's one of three ways to become a gaming legend.
Way1)Beat megaman9
Way2)Finish twilight princess in 1hr in a blindfold
Way3)Beat me at the battle tower.
Only true gaming pros beat that thing WITHOUT SHARKING
All the amusing stuff at ROBLOX are artistic on this <a href="http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?ID=4509124&userid=4509124&rbx_source=ambassador&rbx_medium=Direct&rbx_campaign=ambpro">ok casual universe</a> I found
StaraptorLV.X

Postby sciqueen » 10 Dec 2009, 21:42

I have the Anniversary Collection for Gamecube but it's pretty unplayable because some moron at Capcom decided to switch the controls around, making a hard game even harder! (I can't get past the first level of the NES games...)

Putting Jump on the B button, honestly...
sciqueen

Postby Zarnak » 10 Dec 2009, 22:48

My only problem with the Megaman games is that you have the inability to shoot up or diagonally. I know it has become part of the gameplay, but it's seriously annoying and clunky.
Finally got Mario Galaxy 2... Must say it is epic!
Zarnak

Postby sivlock » 11 Dec 2009, 11:17

I love Megaman games most of them are brilliant, first I played was number 2 on the NES back in the day. I got the anniversary and X collection for the GC last year then foolishly I got x7 and x8 for the PS2 and wtf happened they tried to bring the series into 3D and it was painfully slow and just not as enjoyable.

Is there going to be a new DS Megaman Zero game does anyone know?
Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong and many more are the reasons I will always own a Nintendo console!
sivlock

Postby Tommson » 11 Dec 2009, 11:37

Can sometimes be cheap and frustrating, but still an incredible franchise, one of the best.

Brilliant music also.
PSN ID - ShinyNosepass
Tommson

Mega Man

Postby Red-Wolf » 18 Dec 2009, 21:17

I'm not a fan of Mega Man, but I do like Mega Man 2 (I'm still stuck on that Heat Man stage. Stupid vanishing platforms! Stupid Heat Man!)
You pasty-faced, greasy-haired recluses can keep your Call of Duty: I've fired REAL GUNS!

Xenoblade Chronicles > everything else

Release Geno!
Red-Wolf

Re: Mega Man: An Old School Legend!

Postby Mello » 16 Dec 2012, 11:22

I appreciate the love for the series, particularly from younger players who played a lot of GBA stuff, but I don't remember Mega Man being that big a deal in the UK back in the NES days. Definitely not to the same regard as it is held in America.

If they do something really interesting for the 25th anniversary I'll probably look into it as I'm kind of jealous of the way so many people have such a fond attitude for it, I have MM2 on both NES and VC and it is fun enough but not enough to justify the trial and error gameplay for me, which I'm not that big a fan of (and yes I readily admit to being rubbish at a lot of games :P).
Mello

Postby epiclink » 16 Dec 2012, 11:59

Wait a minute, rated E for everyone reference?
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 16 Dec 2012, 15:03

Don't forget the 90s Mega Man cartoon series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_XKIZ1aPc
I'm not sure if it was ever shown over here, but it is well worth a look on yotube. It's not bad actually. The theme song is mint.

My favourite Mega Man game, of the ones I've played so far, is Mega Man 2. That said I've only played the first three and X. I'd like to get around to playing 9 and 10 eventually, and the Zero games looks pretty good too. It's a shame, Mega Man Zero Collection never came out over here either. I'll have to try and track it down from somewhere.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Commandervideo » 16 Dec 2012, 16:23

Hopefully Capcom will announce some really good plans tomorrow for his anniversary, Megaman X Street Fighter is out tomorrow on PC and it's FREE! (Capcom-Unity site) Even if you don't want it, download it anyway to support the series as a whole.

I've only played MM1 so far, when it came out on 3DS last month. But I'm not sure wheather I should buy into the rest of the series though as MM2-6 and MM9&10 will cost £40 to download. :shock: Come on capcom and announce a compilation.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby Targey » 16 Dec 2012, 17:49

Hey, I remember this article when it was first in the magazine sometime in late 2006/2007!

The only thing you've added to the article is the bit about Mega Man 9. Other than that, it's that very same feature on Mega Man from 2006/2007, word for word.
Targey