Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo Wii U: Everything you need to know

Comment on site articles.

The hardware, the games, release date...

This is your guide to everything you need to know about Wii U. Nintendo's new console was revealed at Nintendo's E3 press conference on 7 June 2011 and will finally be released on 30 November 2012. Of course, many of you have already received your Wii U as some who pre-ordered were sent their console early. Many will be already busy playing Nintendo Land but, for the rest of you, here's your Wii U launch guide.

... read more

Postby K-tet » 07 Jun 2011, 19:03

The fanboy within me has died and gone to heaven!

Nintendo have set a new yardstick with Wii U.
K-tet

Postby Snizzbut » 07 Jun 2011, 19:03

For everyone too lazy to use google.
The actual console.
Click Here for sig
Snizzbut

Postby NINTENDOPOKEMON » 07 Jun 2011, 19:06

evryones saying that the controler is the console, is this confirmed?
[b]3DS! Y U NO WORK IN NINTENDO WORLD STORE NY?????[/b]
seriously, no street pass hits, i was in there for an hour :'(
NINTENDOPOKEMON

Re: Nintendo Wii U: Everything you need to know

Postby berky21 » 07 Jun 2011, 19:10

absolutely awesome
"Friendship is a bit like peeing yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the deep warm feeling" :P
berky21

Postby mu3zzer » 07 Jun 2011, 19:12

so is there support to up to 8 players (4 Wii Remote/Plus controllers + 4 WiiU controllers)?
NNID: mu3zzer 3DS FC: 1246-8701-1542
Twitter
The Argonauts Facebook Twitter Bandcamp Youtube
mu3zzer

Postby Zorganist » 07 Jun 2011, 19:13

How am I supposed to afford that and a 3DS now? Curse you Nintendo!!!

It looked awesome, I want one. A LOT.
Zorganist

Postby Dean Thompson » 07 Jun 2011, 19:14

I believe that the next great leap will only arrive when a great developer steps forward and says that the focus should be on creating the environment in your room rather than on the controller.

A step at least has been made towards this future. Given the evidence at E3 already showing the ability to align the controller screen with the TV screen, I feel that the greater prospect lies in the area around the TV screen, to extend it so to speak.

Nintendo spoke of a camera facing the gamer, but I wonder of the immense potential of a second camera facing away from the gamer and the possibilities it could afford games. Take the Super Smash Bros. announcement. Imagine seeing the environment extended across your room and around you.

I suppose they couldn't code name everything Revolution, though that is not to say that this is stagnant, rather it is cautious evolution, and evolution that paradoxically, instead of killing off the weak, encompasses all just as Nintendo desires and in doing so, brings about the utopia that Reggie Fils-Aime dared to speak of.
Officially The Midlands Best Nintendo Gamer 2009 (Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer Finalist 2009), PKMN VGC 2011 Top 32/512 Masters Division.
Dean Thompson

Postby Mmmyeah » 07 Jun 2011, 19:33

Assassin's Creed
Darksiders II
Ghost Recon
Dirt
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Metro II
Batman: Arkham City
that doesn't really excite me to be honest. i wanted more nintendo-like games, not this generic stuff.

in my opinion this e3 has worried me quite a bit. you see, i bought a wii and a ds because i thought that they would provide unique and enjoyable gaming experiences. i could see stright away how the ds' touch screen and thw wii's motion sensing would revolutionise gaming, and they did.
but the wii u? allow me to highlight the reasons why this does not excite me anywhere near as much by writing the reasons that it apparently should be good:
1- the controller
i don't see how this will make gaming better. it is basically a menu in the palms of your hands. that doesn't entice me. and that idea about playing the game while the tv is on another channel does nothing for me because i keep my console in my room and i am very unlikely to use the wii u in the living room because...
2- the software
...the software seems to be very violent and gory. this is not a problem to me, but the rest of my family would not want to watch me gunning down a soldier or being mauled by an xenomorph because that does not appeal to them. i would also like to say that i am not really a nintendo fanboy. i love nintendo, but before the wii my previous two consoles were the playstations 1 and 2. i bought a wii because of the ways it could play games, and the same goes for the ds. they had games for them that were just my cup of tea, all about brilliant gamplay and unique experiences. i didn't care for the xbox 360 or the ps3, because the majority of the software available for them was all about being flashy and having great graphics, but very dull gameplay. now the games nintendo have revealed for the wii u appear to be very similar and very generic, with the only exception being that new zelda. i know you can't really tell from these videos, but that is because gameplay wasn't being shown off during them. this is worrying because the reason why gameplay wasn't being shown off was possibly due to the gameplay not being anything special.
3-the features
i don't care that it does video chat. i don't care that you can watch videos on it. i don't care that it can measure my weight with the help of the balance board. i don't care that i can draw with it. i don't care about the graphics. the only thing that i am interested in is the idea of much better online than the wii, but that was inevitable. all i want is an entirely new way to play games that i actually want.

i may be a bit too quick to judge the console but so far i am worried. this console will probably be extremely expensive and quite delicate. that doesn't seem like the nintendo way to me.

now lets just wait for nintendo to prove me wrong. i hope they do
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby Mmmyeah » 07 Jun 2011, 19:36

NINTENDOPOKEMON wrote:evryones saying that the controler is the console, is this confirmed?
no, there is a console that is very similar to the wii console, except it is more curved and so it is less conveniant for placing it amongst the rest of the boxes under the tv.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby Everegreen » 07 Jun 2011, 19:45

No, the console is not the controller.
I have to say I love it, it looks absolutely amazing. At first, I didn't like the idea of Wii U (seriously?), but it is certainly better than Wii 2 of Wii Stream; and it does make a bit of sense - 'U' for 'utopia'.
Other than that, I loved every aspect of it. The way you can carry on playing while watching T.V. was ingenious, and it is about time somebody decided to put a touch screen on a controller (do I detect a tiny bit of influence from the UDraw Panel here? Hmm, that's something to think about...) I must admit, the first time I heard that the controller would have a screen on it (earlier today, my friend told me), I feared that it would be a small thing like on the Dreamcast - but this is Nintendo were're talking about! I remember watching the DSi presentation, and thinking 'wow'; and the similar feeling came up today when I was watching this, but times by ten.
I love the interaction between the controller and the console and Wii Remote, and I love the way that the controller can actually be RECHARGED this time (something that should have been done with the Wii remote). By far the most exciting things for me though was the fact you can attach the controller to a Wii Zapper-like device for closer aim, and also the menu screen in the Legend of Zelda clip. I also like the idea of the golf ball on the controller and using the Wii remote as a golf club - genius, but of course I should have expected no less from Nintendo.
And it's going to be in hi definition, too! - So no more excuses for developers excluding Nintendo from their line-up of games such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honour, especially with the Wii U's new fabulous features.
I must say, I am very impressed and looking forward to seeing the U, and I really want one to be honest - they'll be out in 2012 - count me in!

Also, I found the new Mario Kart really, really, interesting... I wonder how that's going to turn out...
please check out my new website:
www.airblog.spruz.com
join and invite! social net and blog site!
Everegreen

Postby Everegreen » 07 Jun 2011, 19:51

And I like the feature that you can play smaller games just on the controller, like Othello! This is intriguing and will be so enjoyable, but I wonder how they'll work - must you purchase them? From the controller or from the Wii U itself? Do you have to have the Wii U on to play them - do they exist, or is it just a play on the switching from T.V. screen to controller feature?
I wonder how much the controller's going to be - game controllers are expensive enough as it is, and the controller for the Wii U is half a console in itself - at least fifty pounds, surely? If so, Nintendo should really make it easy for people to play double player, i.e. someone can just control the game with a Wii Remote; Wii Remote Plus; Classic Controller; Classic Controller Pro; Gamecube Controller or Wii Balance Board - and I don't see why this won't be possible, as the Wii U will support all of these controllers, and the Classic Controller practically has the same set out as the Wii U controller, except for the touch screen and gyroscope.

I'm so hyped, and I know I shouldn't ask so many questions as the console was just revealed today, but here are my questions! XD :mrgreen: :twisted:
please check out my new website:
www.airblog.spruz.com
join and invite! social net and blog site!
Everegreen

Postby squatch » 07 Jun 2011, 19:51

On a certain site i frequent, ive been seeing a lot of hate for the new Ninty console... but i can t see why.
It looks great, some great features and New Super Mario bros (home console version) in the palm of my hands :D

We know this works with Wii U games, will be apply to Wii games too when played on a Wii U? And the possible Virtual Console too? This should be another Nintendo winner.
3DS Friend Code: 3050 7559 8337
Gaming with Nintendo for over 20 years.
squatch

Postby carnivine chaos » 07 Jun 2011, 19:53

If this doesn't have Gamecube controller ports then Smash Bros. will be ruined.
Avvy goes up to #071 - Victreebel ~ More coming soon!
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
carnivine chaos

Postby GingerGamer101 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:02

assassins creed!!!!
[b][i][/i][/b][color=#FF0040][color=#FF0000][/color][/color]GingerGamer
GingerGamer101

Postby codcam2 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:10

It looks okay at best, but I don't really want that as a controller. It doesn't look like one at all, and I can't see ti being very comfortable. My only other complaint is that I wish that the buttons and analog stick on the right side swap round, due to me being brought up with this. Aside from that, Nintendo, I will buy your product! :D
codcam2

Postby DSVIP » 07 Jun 2011, 20:16

To the post three above this: smash bros games dont need the gamecube controller, and since the right analog stick isnt needed that much, i see feww reasons why this is worse in any way.

The specs of the wiiu dont seem to be better than the ps3 in every way or in any way for that matter. How much memory exactly is flash memory (does it mean no memory)? And how much data can the high definition optical discs hold? Whatever it is, its certainly worse than the PS3, but certainly bring price down effectively.

the controls are ok, releived that the shoulder buttons are trigger (read it somewhere else). Theres a few things i would change, but im mostly worried about the touch screen, as it isnt multitouch, so you cant play any real 2 player game with a single controller, which is why only othello was showed.

Also, i dont know if its good news or bad news, but the screen idnt HD. I didnt expect it to be, which is the good news, but then why can it play every game that is HD on a screen that isnt HD? How will that work? I didnt expect it to play fully every actual wiiu game, but im curious as to how a non HD screen can do what a HD screen and the non HD screen together can do. If it dumbs down the games to non-HD, i wouldnt mind, but that isnt possible, is it?

Im also in doubt as to whether the control can play on its own without the console being on, as the game does go into the console, so thats a no. Then whats the point of playing via the console alone if the console has to be on? it means i have to leave the console on if I want to play during the night in bed. And if it can play on its own, hurrah, but can it connect to other controllers locally, and go online? If it does, happy days. If they make a monster hunter like this, drool. Ill be playing online all night, and it will give me a better opportunity to get the best charms. And just think what it will be like if the wifi was lagless, and never disconnects. It will be the best gaming experience, and will just need the games to back it up. I need more information regarding the above, and how good the wifi is.

Also - can the controller play songs and go on the internet, and does it have any memory? it needs to have memory or playing with the console off isnt possible. Whatever happens, im still geting it, mind. As long as it doesnt cost oever £350
Last edited by DSVIP on 07 Jun 2011, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
DSVIP

Postby the1akshay » 07 Jun 2011, 20:22

Meh, looks alright, I guess. The actual console looks suspiciously Xbox 360 (classic) like, however... :roll:
the1akshay

Postby MrChewtoy » 07 Jun 2011, 20:32

At first I thought the name was a bit of a laugh, then the controller looked kinda cool, and blah blah blah won't even bother saying anything more I just love this day now!

Although, I think at least one of the analog sticks should be lower down (so either both like PS3, or the right one like 360), otherwise it looks a bit unnatural.
Gamertag: Mister Chewtoy | Steam
Smackemlaff!
MrChewtoy

Postby liamJGC » 07 Jun 2011, 20:37

heres the question from me, is it gamecube game compatible?
liamJGC

Postby allanironmaiden » 07 Jun 2011, 20:41

i am stunned into amazement, its sounding amazing and cant wait for next year even though we have so much left this year to get!! thank you nintendo
"Every game has a story....only one is Legend"

goldeneye FC - 515063812815
3DS friend code - 1203-9204-3973
allanironmaiden

Postby alex100001 » 07 Jun 2011, 20:44

Gonna be honest, when I first saw that controller, I thought, "What the hell?"

And then I saw those videos from the conference, and oh my word, I want one. The backwards compatibility, oddly enough, is what sells it for me, as I can just sell the console whilst hanging on to my rather large catalogue of games. And being able to play games on the controller while someone's watching something else on the TV? Genius.

If Nintendo gets the price right, this will be incredible. I'm intrigued to know more...
alex100001

Postby Loopydoodle » 07 Jun 2011, 20:44

Seems to be a really good idea, really want one but just 1 question: does a HDMI thingy mean its HD?
Loopydoodle

Postby Argenthor » 07 Jun 2011, 20:46

Mmmyeah wrote:Assassin's Creed
Darksiders II
Ghost Recon
Dirt
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Metro II
Batman: Arkham City
that doesn't really excite me to be honest. i wanted more nintendo-like games, not this generic stuff.

3-the features
i don't care that it does video chat. i don't care that you can watch videos on it. i don't care that it can measure my weight with the help of the balance board. i don't care that i can draw with it. i don't care about the graphics. the only thing that i am interested in is the idea of much better online than the wii, but that was inevitable. all i want is an entirely new way to play games that i actually want.

The reason the games are un-'nintendo'y is because they are not made by nintendo? They have alienated 3rd part developers thus far and this is an attempt to get them back on side.

And you say you want a new way to play... but then say you dont care about the new features! Truly confusing...

I just want to actually see things which will make me excited about the console. More games, footage etc. But hopefully that will come soon
Argenthor

Postby mu3zzer » 07 Jun 2011, 20:48

DSVIP wrote:Also, i dont know if its good news or bad news, but the screen idnt HD. I didnt expect it to be, which is the good news, but then why can it play every game that is HD on a screen that isnt HD? How will that work? I didnt expect it to play fully every actual wiiu game, but im curious as to how a non HD screen can do what a HD screen and the non HD screen together can do. If it dumbs down the games to non-HD, i wouldnt mind, but that isnt possible, is it?

yeah it is possible. WiiU can be played via hdmi (so its HD) or via component, S-Video or RGB (which is ED/SD like the Wii).
Loopydoodle wrote:just 1 question: does a HDMI thingy mean its HD?

if you have it connected to an hdtv, yeah.
NNID: mu3zzer 3DS FC: 1246-8701-1542
Twitter
The Argonauts Facebook Twitter Bandcamp Youtube
mu3zzer

Postby Chetters » 07 Jun 2011, 20:54

i like the idea of it and i am a massive fan of nintendo franchises, survived on a wii this gen, but i fear nintendo may be a little late to the party when reports of sony and microsoft building brand new next gen consoles possibly out in two years, i would be tempted to wait
Chetters

Next