Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Professor Layton And The Spectre's Call is great without Lon

Comment on site articles.

Chris Rooke on next week's big release...

This week I'm going to be writing about London Life. I have to say, I am incredibly jealous of anyone who lives in London. Everything happens in London: launch parties are held, celebrities run around like normal human beings (the horror!), our favourite gaming magazine is created, and (at the moment anyway) Karen Gillan is there. Somehow though, I don't think that this is the London Life you came to this blog to read about.

... read more

Professor Layton And The Spectre's Call is great without Lon

Postby Xord » 19 Nov 2011, 13:10

Gonna get it for Christmas, would be angry if it was delayed.
FIRST!!!!
ERISOLSPRITE: you knoww wwhat youvve done jake.
ERISOLSPRITE: you havve totally RUIINED the act of fliippiin people off.

NNID: XordXC
PM me if you add me.
Xord

Re: Professor Layton And The Spectre's Call is great without

Postby ninjafox » 19 Nov 2011, 13:30

Whilst London life does sound like a fun addition to the Spectre's call i am honestly not that bothered that is not arriving in the UK. Yes it would have been nice as an extra but i think there is already plenty of content in the Layton games with the main story and a downloadable puzzle each week not to mention the mini-games in Layton's trunk.
As long as the main game is up to the standards of the previous 3 games then it should still be a great addition to the Layton series.
ninjafox

Postby King Slazo » 19 Nov 2011, 15:58

Ahaha. Yes. This is a huge loss. Not including the 100-hour odd London Life is tantamount to a Pokémon with no after-game, a Mario without all the hidden bonuses and secrets, or a Zelda with no side-quests. Its a hugely moronic decision that's generated a ton of bad press and anger from the fans of the series. I have no intention of buying a watered down version of a game (although, admittedly, I still have Layton 2/3 to finish. The second game was so much weaker than the original puzzle-wise. But that's for another argument.).

Don't get me wrong, I understand why NoE did it, as do you. But to say it was a good decision and to try and justify it is utter idiocy.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby shadow663 » 19 Nov 2011, 21:43

I'm fine with it not being included, Id rather they got this one out, so they can put their focus on bringing us the 3DS Layton, cos that's the one we are all waiting for
shadow663

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 20 Nov 2011, 01:37

As much as I would've liked London Life in the game,I probably wouldn't play it.
Nevertheless it's a Layton game and it's a day one buy for me.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Poke-J » 20 Nov 2011, 10:33

Incidentally, is this game region locked? Because I would seriously consider importing it if it wasn't.
Steam|Twitter
3DS FC: 3995-6570-3669 (JG)
Poke-J

Postby zelda97 » 20 Nov 2011, 11:20

I agree with Chris 'nuff said.
yo please PM me your phantom hourglass friend code with name for ds. if it works i will PM you my code
thanks,
Zelda97
zelda97

Postby whitley » 20 Nov 2011, 11:35

I'm not particularly fussed, any professor layton coming here is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, but I would be surprised if it didn't make its way over here eventually. London life as 3dsware - quite likely, as it would be the sort of thing to really kick start the service and then they could take all the time they want to translate
whitley

Postby Rassilonix » 20 Nov 2011, 11:48

I have the american version and, I have to admit while London Life is good it could be better. But then again it was worth the £4 extra on top of what it would of cost me to get it in the UK as i have gained much enjoyment out of it and, i have only just started it. And for anyone wondering no it is not region lock as it is not DSi Enhanced and therefore not region locked. As does for the on-line part it only supports WEP and Open Encryption because of this.
Rassilonix

Postby wolfy98 » 20 Nov 2011, 12:38

I understand your point about it being unfair for one European Country to get it and the others not getting it, but the Americans have it. I just think it's unfair to Europe and especially us as it's allready been translated (this would be unfair to other European countrys).
my yoshi pics
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3200/wolfy98.jpg
wolfy98

Postby bethrj » 20 Nov 2011, 12:53

Well, I agree with other posters, I've imported the American copy, and sure the main storyline and collecting all the puzzles can last a good 20 hours or so, but I have found myself enjoying London Life. It's like the Professor Layton version of Animal Crossing, with clothes and decorating houses, and little quests and everything, so I'm finding it a good way to tide me over till the release of the actual 3DS Animal Crossing. If they had started translating it early enough, with a big enough team, then they would be on track for a release
bethrj

Postby Yoshifan007 » 20 Nov 2011, 13:01

and you think treyarch is lazy for porting a half assed version of mw3 but at leasts make the effort to include as many maps and killstreaks as possible without double-funking the wii over?

100 hours of game time
thats like 4 days and a bit of game time. get off your fat ass nintendo. its very unfair.
Yoshifan007

Postby Riccardo » 20 Nov 2011, 13:25

@Poke-J 'Spectre's Call' is a DS game, and therefore it isn't region-locked - I for one am going to import the American version, because the pros of doing this (100-ish hours of London Life) far outweigh the cons for me (the actual importing of it, a different voice for Luke Triton)
Currently playing:

Aliens: Infestation
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
FF IV (DS)
The World Ends With You
Disgaea DS
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles

Riccardo

Postby TheImprobableOne » 20 Nov 2011, 14:05

I would be annoyed if it didn't come around Christmas. However, if they were to release London Life as a spin off game sold separately, I would be over the moon.
Is it worth having a sig for just a month?
Come November, I'll still be on Steam and maybe Facebook if you ask nicely.
I'm the invisible man.
TheImprobableOne

Postby Linkfan42 » 20 Nov 2011, 14:18

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Waiting would be the best option. As fun as the main story will be, it won't last nearly as long as London Life. That means that we're essentially paying full price for less than half of the actual game. I think that Nintendo has already shown how patient their fans can be with Skyward Sword.
Linkfan42

Postby zapper01 » 20 Nov 2011, 14:31

I heard that London Life was rubbish, so I'm just getting the European version anyway.
Linkfan42 wrote: As fun as the main story will be, it won't last nearly as long as London Life. That means that we're essentially paying full price for less than half of the actual game.
No we're not, it's an extra and from what I've heard most people won't play it for very long. There's only 100 hours worth of content if you do absolutely everything.
zapper01

Postby Waldy565 » 20 Nov 2011, 15:34

well, ive already imported the american version, so i suppsoe i'll wait and see for myself. im sure it wont ruin the european game though
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby SuperLuigiYoshi » 20 Nov 2011, 18:47

It would be entirely unfair to release one version of the game for one part of Europe, and a lesser version of the game for other parts.

Surely, then, it is also unfair to release one version of the game for America, and a lesser version for Europe?
SuperLuigiYoshi

Postby Linkfan42 » 20 Nov 2011, 19:34

zapper01 wrote:I heard that London Life was rubbish, so I'm just getting the European version anyway.
Linkfan42 wrote: As fun as the main story will be, it won't last nearly as long as London Life. That means that we're essentially paying full price for less than half of the actual game.
No we're not, it's an extra and from what I've heard most people won't play it for very long. There's only 100 hours worth of content if you do absolutely everything.

Then why are we paying the same price as America?
Linkfan42

Postby GO BABEL FISH » 20 Nov 2011, 22:34

I do understand Nintendo's decision not to include it so that Layton can be in our DSs by Christmas again, however is it possible that London Life could be released as a rather hefty Dsware download when it's ready?
did you know of the week:
Cookies come from space!!!
GO BABEL FISH

Postby masamune » 21 Nov 2011, 00:10

tbh i probably would have bought this if London Life had been included, seeing as it was developed by Brownie-Brown and all. aww well, time to pirate the US version then
psn: Cervanres
masamune

Postby Raszero » 21 Nov 2011, 15:58

I guess I'll just order from the states then? We have the choice to get London life, if you don't want it buy from UK. But its the guys without choice in europe who lose out.
Av'a go at my adventure map!
Raszero

Postby kingeo » 21 Nov 2011, 16:36

They easily could put London Life just in english for all the countries since it's an extra game.Or at least offer the game cheaper since we get only half of the game.
WE DON'T CARE if Nintendo wants to sell it in Christmas period so they make a lot of money,we're not idiots you known.
What if they use the same excuse and do it again with 3ds games which are region locked and we can't import it ?
What will you say then?
kingeo

Postby sciqueen » 22 Nov 2011, 12:08

So London Life will not be available in the part of the world where London is?..I'm not surprised at Nintendo to be honest.
sciqueen

Postby OracleOfPokemon » 22 Nov 2011, 19:45

It may be great and all without London Life, but I know loads and loads of people who were just going to buy it for London Life. NOE have lost loads of customers. (Not me though)

I don't get why they don't just put it in English for the whole of Europe, most of them speak English as well anyway. Or they could put one of those download codes for the eShop so we can download it when London Life is finished translating.
I am the oracle of Poké wisdom.
OracleOfPokemon

Next