Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Gaming's most doomed relationships

Comment on site articles.

Bad romance...

Its Valentine's Day! Woooooo! Well, I say "woooooo", but some more cynical types see Valentine's Day as a load of rubbish. A day manufactured by card companies to make single people feel lonelier and make people in relationships feel they have to prove their love. Bah humbug, and so forth.

... read more

Postby bobbyy29 » 14 Feb 2012, 14:22

I swear "jelly beans" bust be innuendo.
3DS Friend Code is... 5112-3405-7745
PM me with yours!
bobbyy29

Postby Layton link » 14 Feb 2012, 14:33

oh god claire! :(
its too soon! oh claire....why :(
such a sad ending.
there romance was the most touching i have seen in video games for years.
well link and zelda in skyward is pretty cute :3 zelda is not a princess in that game which means she has a personality.
but still! nothing can rival there love! :cry:
Layton link

Re: Gaming's most doomed relationships

Postby DeamonFahng » 14 Feb 2012, 14:38

Balloon Kid is only £2.70?! Score!

All relationships should end with news like that. End on a high note, ya'know?
DeamonFahng

Postby CyberGW » 14 Feb 2012, 14:47

Where's Sonic and Amy? :shock:
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby colourblindyoshi » 14 Feb 2012, 15:02

ha, so true...

however, have to say there is a difference between 'doomed' and every particle inside her body disintergrating. okay, they're similar, but at least they loved each other. the only reason mario collects peach time after time is that you have to go through lots of pipes, and he's the only plumber in the country, apart from luigi, who's just being a bit of a wuss.
zelda and link arent meant to be together - its just too cliche.

also observe - rydia and edge in final fantasy 4. yes, its implied, but its just weird.

and aeris and cloud in final fantasy 7, because sepiroth had to make it difficult, didnt he?
colourblindyoshi

Postby yellowds » 14 Feb 2012, 15:18

What about Shulk and Fiora :o
Xenoblade legit made me cry :cry:
yellowds

Postby Waldy565 » 14 Feb 2012, 18:19

"Roses are red, violets are heavenly, Balloon Kid on eShop is only £2.70"? YES! :D hmm i agree, maybe wailuigi and dancing... :P
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby mr.AR » 14 Feb 2012, 19:06

With Hershal And Claire, That scene actually nearly brought me to tears..Which is crazy really! :oops:
Get ready to Game, My Friend.
mr.AR

Postby MrChewtoy » 14 Feb 2012, 22:26

Not sure how Mario and Peach's (or indeed Link and Zelda's) relationship could be considered doomed, since they always get together in the end. Layton's is true, since he lost Claire in the end, but unless there's a game where Bowser kills Peach, their relationship isn't doomed.
Gamertag: Mister Chewtoy | Steam
Smackemlaff!
MrChewtoy

Postby UnovaDweller » 14 Feb 2012, 23:38

This article was pretty amusing.
3DS friend code: 2836-0168-8523

Kid Icarus Uprising will be my game of the year!

Currently playing (and loving):
Pokemon Black
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Pokemon Rumble
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
UnovaDweller

Postby blaziken411 » 15 Feb 2012, 00:15

how about lui kang and kitana from mortal kombat, nothing says doomed like your girlfriends parents trying to kill you and your whole planet right?
#Ampharoskingofjhoto
My brother made this.
3ds friend code: 4811-7239-6713
Nintendo Network ID : Black-wolf209
Youtube channel: OmegaBlaxel
blaziken411

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 15 Feb 2012, 12:53

Memeber the multiple endings in Star Fox Command - half of them had Fox and Krystal splitting up forever. Heck, the game even begins with Krystal already jollying it around with Star Wolf: the bad guys!

I second the suggestion of Sonic and Amy - very much a one sided releationship. Will she ever learn.
I bet she has a creppy shrine in her house with a crude sculpture of the blue blur made from parts from him, like shed hair.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby RiksilveR » 15 Feb 2012, 14:18

Not the same sort of relationship, but you and your partner in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. It's pretty depressing going through all the dungeons, beating the crap out of Rayquaza/Dialga and then ending up having to leave the world or fade out of existence. Those endings made me cry (don't judge me, i was like 10 at the time).
RiksilveR

Postby ZeldaKing » 18 Feb 2012, 12:32

colourblindyoshi wrote:aeris and cloud in final fantasy 7, because sepiroth had to make it difficult, didnt he?

what about Aerith and Zack in Crisis Core: FFVII? it's even more of a heart wrench
I have 49 lv 100 pokemon... is that sad?
ZeldaKing

Postby Mollusc Man » 18 Feb 2012, 14:00

Link and Princess Ruto from Ocarina.

She gave him her sacred stone and everything, but it was never going to work really with her being a sage and him being such a loose cannon.
Mollusc Man

Postby issun1412 » 18 Feb 2012, 18:16

How about link and ;Saria, Maalon, Ruto, Ilia and Tingle. All of them one sided. Link you jerk!
I laugh in the face of death, so long as it's staring at someone else
issun1412

Postby Loopydoodle » 19 Feb 2012, 19:21

Just in response to the Link/Zelda thing, maybe its a good thing future versions didn't get together. As the next Link and Zelda must be a descendant of the Skyward Sword Link and Zelda, therefore making any attempt at a relationship for future Link and Zelda's slightly illeagal and worthy of a spot on Jeremy Kyle.
Loopydoodle

Postby Laytonfan1 » 19 Feb 2012, 23:47

Claire and Layton made me cry and made the lost future one of my fave games ever :'(
Check out my deviantArt page here http://abberz1.deviantart.com/gallery/
Laytonfan1

Postby Lilpuzzlette64 » 04 Mar 2012, 16:23

Little I am not, but puzzling? Yep sir ee.
Lilpuzzlette64

Postby LOZanges » 14 Feb 2013, 10:40

What about Zobio and Zobiko? Y'know, those ones from house of the dead: EX that were in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. Zombie love is doomed from the start...
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Postby Grovyle » 14 Feb 2013, 10:56

*MILD RESIDENT EVIL SPOILERS AHEAD* Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine (you see, it's even in the name). These two have been through everything together from haunted mansions, to more haunted mansions, to giant abandoned cruise ships and even having Chris rip that weird mind controlling beetle off Jill's chest (we all know what it looked like, at least buy the lass a drink Chris). In revelations they looked everywhere for each other, almost as if following cliche and searching in vain for their long lost love at sea... Same in RESI 5 where Chris seems utterly heartbroken that he lost her and determined to at least avenge her apparent death. When they're not shooting and 'Burton Sandwiching' hoards of undead it seems like they could try and have a relationship but Jill just keeps dying, getting lost or being kidnapped...
Xbox Live name: grovylethethief
3ds friend code: 1934-0650-2529 (PM me yours and what you play if you have added me :)

Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure. All hope abandon, ye who enter here.”
Grovyle

Postby OrangeRakoon » 14 Feb 2013, 11:20

It's all about Link and Marin.

Link is literally the cause of her ceasing to exist. He murders the girl he falls in love with. Unless you complete the game without dying, in which case she is reborn in the real world as a seagull. But that's really not that much better for any relationship.
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator

Postby jack.whittingham » 14 Feb 2013, 12:28

Professor Layton and Clair. Probably also the saddest ending to game ever. What I would like to see is Captain Olimar fall in love and then that relationship to become doomed. That would top it!
3DS friend code: 1676-4144-9836

Animal Crossing Dream Address: 7000-2187-1635

Officially a K.K. Slider Diehard
jack.whittingham

Postby PeterR » 14 Feb 2013, 13:07

Loopydoodle wrote:Just in response to the Link/Zelda thing, maybe its a good thing future versions didn't get together. As the next Link and Zelda must be a descendant of the Skyward Sword Link and Zelda, therefore making any attempt at a relationship for future Link and Zelda's slightly illeagal and worthy of a spot on Jeremy Kyle.

I was under the impression the Zeldas were descended from the original one but the Links were more of a reincarnation type deal rather than genetically related. Still, it would be far too cliche if every Link ans Zelda got together.

Also, if you didn't shed a tear at the end of the lost future you are a robot.
PeterR

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 14 Feb 2013, 13:47

OrangeRakoon wrote:It's all about Link and Marin.

Link is literally the cause of her ceasing to exist. He murders the girl he falls in love with. Unless you complete the game without dying, in which case she is reborn in the real world as a seagull. But that's really not that much better for any relationship.

I totally forgot about this one! Such a bitter-sweet story overall, but that little "date" sequence is the icing on the cake.

I suppose that depending on what you do in the three days in Majora's Mask, the Kafei and Anju romance comes to a crashing end... literally.

PeterR wrote:Also, if you didn't shed a tear at the end of the lost future you are a robot.

*bzzzzt* Does. not. compute. *bzzt*
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Next