Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble review

Comment on site articles.

Sonic fails to hit top gear in this 2D platformer

Spikes. They are your main enemy in Sonic: Triple Trouble for these levels - as good looking as they may be for an 18-year old handheld platformer - aren't exactly bursting with Badniks.

... read more

Postby shy guy 64 » 03 Apr 2012, 15:20

i think i downloaded it

better double check my 3DS
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby callum2003 » 03 Apr 2012, 15:23

I need Eshop money

Thanks to Fabong Letang for the awesome sig and avatar! They look great!
callum2003

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble review

Postby paultheotherone » 03 Apr 2012, 15:37

Good looking as they made be?

You might want to change that. :oops:
Im telling the truth when I say that every word I speak is a lie
paultheotherone

Postby reeesy » 03 Apr 2012, 16:54

I actually think this is a pretty good game. There are better Sonic games from that era, but its still a pretty solid entry to the series and worth a download.
reeesy

Postby RainbowGazelle » 03 Apr 2012, 16:55

You're downgrading it because you can complete in under an hour, but Super Mario Bros. (ONM's supposed 3rd best Nintendo game ever) you can complete in five minutes. If this game had Mario in it, it would have automatically got at least 80%.
If anyone wants to play online, my 3DS FC is: 3437-3065-1394
My Wii U NNID is: RainbowGazelle
RainbowGazelle

Postby Cave_dweller » 03 Apr 2012, 17:16

RainbowGazelle wrote:You're downgrading it because you can complete in under an hour, but Super Mario Bros. (ONM's supposed 3rd best Nintendo game ever) you can complete in five minutes. If this game had Mario in it, it would have automatically got at least 80%.

Please tell me your not being serious. Do you know how skilled you need to be to finish Super Mario bros in five minutes? Also the hours worth of gameplay is referring to simply playing through the game: not speed running and taking short cuts like in SMB.

80%? May I direct you to another recent review of Dr Mario? Which i'm pretty sure only scored 60%
3DS FC:: 3823 - 8504 - 5986 Nintendo Network ID: Ben-CD
Cave_dweller

Postby SpecialAgentKit » 03 Apr 2012, 18:35

you guys suck its wicked.
SpecialAgentKit

Postby Samster296 » 03 Apr 2012, 19:56

I played it on Sonic Mega Collection or Gems collection. The game sucks anyway.
ImageImage
New Leaf Dream Address - 7100-2228-7688
Steam
Sampy wrote:Hah! Now you've got no shoes! You fool!

Credit to Pacaholic for the sig!
Samster296

Postby ihuntermusic » 03 Apr 2012, 20:55

I'm really enjoying it actually. I loved Sonic Chaos back in the day and hope that gets a 3ds appearance too. Triple Trouble might not be as fast as some people seem to want but I still like the pace, the tunes are great and there are some good lil bits to this. Plus it is nice to be able to wander a bit and not just zoom to the end. I'm definitely glad I downloaded.
You think you know. Who you are. What's to come. You haven't even begun.
ihuntermusic

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 04 Apr 2012, 09:37

I fully and completely agree with this review. While it does undoubtedly look great for an 8-bit title, overall the action is just rather dull compared to earlier the games. The snowboarding segments of Robotnik Winter are fun and chaotic, and the transistion into Act 3 of Sunset Park is pretty cool and that satge has an awesome BGM (which itself original composed for Sonic Chaos), however by no means is it a worthy Sonic title.

If anyone still wants to play it though, I'd suggest you'd be better off getting the Gamecube releases of either Sonic Adventure DX or Sonic Gems collection, both of which you can play on your Wii and include a bunch of other Game Gear Sonic games. Also depending on which you get you also have the bonus of have full versions of Sonic Adventure (DX) or Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters and Sonic CD.

Another additional note: Getting the Chaos Emeralds is a bit more of an ordeal than just getting 50 rings. Once you have the rings you have to find a Warp Gate item box (looks like a red Chaos Emerald), hidden away in the first and second acts of each stage. Once you actually get to the Special Stage you have to then actually complete them, and they're not very well designed which makes them annoyingly hard.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby tomonm » 04 Apr 2012, 10:10

RainbowGazelle wrote:You're downgrading it because you can complete in under an hour, but Super Mario Bros. (ONM's supposed 3rd best Nintendo game ever) you can complete in five minutes. If this game had Mario in it, it would have automatically got at least 80%.

Mario games don't get high scores because they star Mario. They get high scores because his platformers are amazing. You wouldn't find a Mario platformer lacking in enemies - the main reason I marked it down - like this one.

To be honest, I didn't mind it although it had a lot of faults. Hence the 64% score. Some people really hated it...

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/review/so ... op-review/
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby deKay » 04 Apr 2012, 10:26

64% is VERY generous. Both Sonic and Sonic 2 for the Game Gear are far better, and they're pretty flawed too (mainly due to the small viewport) compared to the Master System versions.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby Tanrei » 04 Apr 2012, 10:28

tomonm wrote:

Mario games don't get high scores because they star Mario.

Yes they do.
Follow me on Twitter!
3DS Friend Code: 1349-5264-0607 Add for New Leaf!
"Everywhere you look it's cats, lizards and elves!"
Tanrei

Postby tomonm » 04 Apr 2012, 11:38

[/quote]

Yes they do.[/quote]

No they don't.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Icytroid1993 » 04 Apr 2012, 11:41

tomonm wrote:

Yes they do.[/quote]

No they don't.[/quote]

You might wanna read my comment in the magazine section in the settling scores thread. I mention Rayman Origins against NSMBW. :lol:
I have a Metroid as a pet. You think i'm joking don't you...........
Icytroid1993

Postby tomonm » 04 Apr 2012, 12:46

What you have to understand is that these two reviews - Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Bros Wii - were reviewed by different people at different times. When New Super Mario Bros Wii came out, it was the best 2D platformer on Wii. We didn't know that Rayman Origins was going to come out years later. As you say, NSMBW is a fantastic game but you don't go back and knock that score down because another game has come out that beats it. Nor does it mean that you give Rayman Origins 97% because it's better. It's up to the individual reviewer to give a game the score that he or she think it deserves.

Incidentally I don't know if Rayman Origins is better than NSMBW as I haven't played it. I'm looking forward to doing so when it is released on 3DS this June.

You just have to take a review score as a guide of what we thought of that game when it came out. Basically if a game gets over 90% it is awesome and you should buy it.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 04 Apr 2012, 13:29

Considering Nintendo Gamer gave it 30 odd,I was expecting a lower score than this.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Icytroid1993 » 04 Apr 2012, 14:02

tomonm wrote:What you have to understand is that these two reviews - Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Bros Wii - were reviewed by different people at different times. When New Super Mario Bros Wii came out, it was the best 2D platformer on Wii. We didn't know that Rayman Origins was going to come out years later. As you say, NSMBW is a fantastic game but you don't go back and knock that score down because another game has come out that beats it. Nor does it mean that you give Rayman Origins 97% because it's better. It's up to the individual reviewer to give a game the score that he or she think it deserves.

Incidentally I don't know if Rayman Origins is better than NSMBW as I haven't played it. I'm looking forward to doing so when it is released on 3DS this June.

You just have to take a review score as a guide of what we thought of that game when it came out. Basically if a game gets over 90% it is awesome and you should buy it.

Thanks for clearing this up :) I know its silly to ask you to knock NSMBW's score down, i don't mean that, but if a game is as good or better, then 91% compared to 96% is not gonna give that impression. I guess that if its different reviewers reviewing these two games then you are gonna have differences of opinion. I'm not sure i understand what you mean when you said 'Nor does it mean that you give Rayman Origins 97% because it's better' :? If a game is better then, to me anyway, it should get a higher score so that everyone realizes that, i think that's pretty fair! The only reason i've mentioned this is because its just odd that the huge scores like 95, 96, 97, 98% scores only ever seem to go to first party Nintendo made games, so you can see why it can come across as biased. I just fear that games like Rayman Origins which are of the highest quality will go unappreciated :( That would be a great shame because the work that's gone into a game like Rayman just makes NSMBW look ordinary in many respects, not many games have done that and i think that is worthy of higher praise! :) Sadly one person can't do much about it, lol. Tom, when you get the chance to play it i assure you that you'll thoroughly enjoy it, you might see why i like it so much!
Icytroid1993

Postby tomonm » 04 Apr 2012, 14:16

It because the New Super Mario Bros Wii review score was Chris Scullion's judgement when the game was released. The Rayman Origins review was written by Neil. Even if he thinks that Rayman Origins is better than NSMBW, it doesn't mean he should give it 97%. He can only give the game the score he thinks it deserves which was 91%. If he doesn't think it's a 97% game, he can't give the game 97% even if he thinks it's better than NSMBW.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby tomonm » 04 Apr 2012, 14:17

imbusydoctorwho wrote:Considering Nintendo Gamer gave it 30 odd,I was expecting a lower score than this.

I don't think it's anywhere near that bad. It's an average game but it's not unplayable.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Icytroid1993 » 04 Apr 2012, 15:57

tomonm wrote:It because the New Super Mario Bros Wii review score was Chris Scullion's judgement when the game was released. The Rayman Origins review was written by Neil. Even if he thinks that Rayman Origins is better than NSMBW, it doesn't mean he should give it 97%. He can only give the game the score he thinks it deserves which was 91%. If he doesn't think it's a 97% game, he can't give the game 97% even if he thinks it's better than NSMBW.

I don't mean to come across as blunt but you've just contradicted yourself. A review is an opinion, so what he thinks and what he thinks it deserves are the same thing. Saying ''If he doesn't think it's a 97% game, he can't give the game 97% even if he thinks it's better than NSMBW'', just contradicts itself i'm afraid. If he thinks that its better then it makes no sense to give it a lower score :? Anyway i've spent too much time thinking about it.
Icytroid1993

Postby NintyHippo » 04 Apr 2012, 16:07

Icytroid1993 wrote:
tomonm wrote:It because the New Super Mario Bros Wii review score was Chris Scullion's judgement when the game was released. The Rayman Origins review was written by Neil. Even if he thinks that Rayman Origins is better than NSMBW, it doesn't mean he should give it 97%. He can only give the game the score he thinks it deserves which was 91%. If he doesn't think it's a 97% game, he can't give the game 97% even if he thinks it's better than NSMBW.

I don't mean to come across as blunt but you've just contradicted yourself. A review is an opinion, so what he thinks and what he thinks it deserves are the same thing. Saying ''If he doesn't think it's a 97% game, he can't give the game 97% even if he thinks it's better than NSMBW'', just contradicts itself i'm afraid. If he thinks that its better then it makes no sense to give it a lower score :? Anyway i've spent too much time thinking about it.

I agree with Tom. Neil might think that NSMBW only deserves 85% or something, so therefore it is possible that he thinks Rayman Origins is a better game even though he gave it a lower score than what Chris gave NSMBW. He might think that Rayman is better but does not deserve 97% or higher.
Hooray for hippos!
Many thanks to Casplen for the sig, and Dizzybow for the avatar.
NintyHippo

Postby ChrisONM » 04 Apr 2012, 16:17

To add more fuel to the debate, I personally don't think Rayman Origins is worth 90+.

It's just our individual opinions, which is why our names appear at the end of each review, so you can in time figure out which writers' opinions match yours more often.
My Twitter feed (it actually gets updated now!)
ChrisONM
ONM Moderator

Postby Icytroid1993 » 04 Apr 2012, 22:17

ChrisONM wrote:To add more fuel to the debate, I personally don't think Rayman Origins is worth 90+.

It's just our individual opinions, which is why our names appear at the end of each review, so you can in time figure out which writers' opinions match yours more often.

Thats a good point :) It is all individual opinion, so even though you gave NSMBW 96% someone might hate it and think it deserves 36%. I think Rayman Origins is a better game than NSMBW in almost all areas, but that's just me i guess. I understand what Tom was saying but i just thought it would be easier that if you feel a game is better, then a higher score would reflect that more clearly, but i understand your line of reasoning :) Good debate :)
Icytroid1993

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 05 Apr 2012, 10:57

At last! Now we can get back to discussing why you shouldn't waste your money on Sonic Triple Trouble.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Next