Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New Super Mario Bros 2: A surefire 3DS smash

Comment on site articles.

Midas Mario goes for gold in the richest Mario title to date

Whether or not Nintendo is aware of the irony in creating a Mario sequel in which the plumber possesses "the power to monetise anything and everything", you'd have to admit that New Super Mario Bros 2 has a doozy of a hook.

... read more

New Super Mario Bros 2: A surefire 3DS smash

Postby Yaldabaoth » 16 Jul 2012, 09:59

This seems to be an actual change of pace for the NSMB games, mainly due to the edition of the appealing coin rush mode, although I have to say I won't be purchasing this for a while as there are many other games out that I would prefer to get, such as the Last Story.
Yaldabaoth

Re: New Super Mario Bros 2: A surefire 3DS smash

Postby toffeeman30 » 16 Jul 2012, 13:06

coin rush is not a mission for me. chasing coins like its the gold rush in a spaghetti western is not much of a task.
toffeeman30

Postby chazrinelli » 16 Jul 2012, 14:24

It looks dull n play on the original and I'm bored of the NSMB series, just my opinion.
3DS FC: 4854-6424-0750

NNID: ChazDCFC

All are welcome!!
chazrinelli

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 16 Jul 2012, 15:30

This is exactly the same article as in the magazine.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby Komodo_Wolfgang » 16 Jul 2012, 18:17

chazrinelli wrote:It looks dull n play on the original and I'm bored of the NSMB series, just my opinion.

Likewise,

I also dont see what makes it a 'surefire hit' >.>
My Animal Crossing New Leaf Tumblr! http://oakwoodnl.tumblr.com/
3DS:4141-2043-8010
DreamCode:7500-2191-1369
NID; Komodo_Wolfgang
Wiitabix wrote:I still feel we haven't seen the best of the Wii U yet, no where near.
Komodo_Wolfgang

Postby SonyX » 16 Jul 2012, 18:49

thanks nintendo now i can add this to the list of 3ds games that i really want but cant afford!
SonyX

Postby Targey » 16 Jul 2012, 19:39

Lets see here:

- First part of the level is ripped straight from World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. 3.
- An ice world background ripped straight from Super Mario World.
- Most other backgrounds and aesthetics borrowed from other Mario games.
- STILL using the SMB flag-pole to signify the end of the level. Surprised they haven't tried using SMW's end gate yet.
- Same/similar music as from previous games in the series, which is excusable for the title screen (the original Super Mario Bros games, particularly in All-Stars, did this), but not for everything else.

Thanks, Nintendo. Now I can definitely add this to the list of 3DS games I can afford, but really don't want!
Targey

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 16 Jul 2012, 19:40

I kind of want this game, but then kind of don't.
I'm not a big fan of Mario games, but I do find them enjoyable. The thing I find lacking in them is the re-play value: once you've played through all the levels, it kind of gets dull with only the urge to own the last star coin making you want to do it again. The thing I hate the most about this is the fact that it forces you to go through the levels you hate the most over and over again, searching every nook and cranny to find those illusive star coins. Apart from this, there isn't much compelling you to play the game again once you've completed it.
But in this new game, I can imagine it being a lot more fun. With all those coins bouncing around the place begging to be picked up, the experience of re-playing certain levels and taking different routes to see what sort of massive cache of gold disks lies around that unexplored corner will be a much better one. And it will be a lot easier to reach that 99 life milestone that every Mario gamer strives to reach before they can call themselves a pro, meaning that the prospect of taking a possible life-costing risk of jumping to that hard-to-reach platform becomes less scary, with all those extra lives stashed away.
I might buy this game if I wasn't already saving for a Wii U (with accessories), Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land, two Remote Pluses and Nunchucks (maybe three), an eShop and an iTunes voucher, new headphones, and still keep some money aside for whenever Mario Kart Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 4 come out.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby Commandervideo » 16 Jul 2012, 19:59

NSMB2 I can afford and will buy :b

Coin rush will add infinite replay value, but I'd rather have a level editor than DLC
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby noelnen » 16 Jul 2012, 20:37

I love Mario games, but I wish they would change the look of the games a bit.
They don't have to change the gameplay, just play around with the style.
The old Mario games were all similar, but they all had their own distinctive look.
And they should bring back some old enemies like shy guys and birdos instead
of just goombas and koopa troopas.And why don't they use Donkey Kong or Wart as
a villain for a change instead of Bowser.
noelnen

Postby Wiison » 16 Jul 2012, 20:39

I'll definetly buy this because i'm a Mario fan, but I must say this addition to the series doesn't really offer anything new. Collecting tons of coins is something that isn't necessarily exciting or innovative. It'll be a great game for the quality of the gameplay alone, but I think it's time Nintendo mixed it up just a bit. I enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy so much because they offered something very different from the Mario games before them. Personally i'm looking forward to the next Paper Mario more :)
Wiison

Postby Wiison » 16 Jul 2012, 20:41

noelnen wrote:And they should bring back some old enemies like shy guys and birdos instead
of just goombas and koopa troopas.And why don't they use Donkey Kong or Wart as
a villain for a change instead of Bowser.

Thats a great point :) And why don't they use my avatar more often :lol:
Wiison

Postby Quantum Raven » 17 Jul 2012, 14:00

This looks tobe the best in the series so far, colecting those 1,000,000 coins looks like it will take a while and it's the first Nintendo developed blockbuster title to be released this year! I really want to get it and as a result it's release on 17th August can't come soon enough
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven

Postby Pyron12 » 17 Jul 2012, 16:10

chazrinelli wrote:It looks dull n play on the original and I'm bored of the NSMB series, just my opinion.

The NSMB series is going a bit too far. Nintendo need something like SM3DL to spice things up a bit. Why wasn't the 3D Land map like the NSMB maps with lots of levels.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby cheatmaster30 » 17 Jul 2012, 23:03

I personally think New Super Mario Bros 2 looks pretty cool. Sure it's not the most original idea for a game ever, but come on, originality is really overrated in video games. There's a reason people buy sequels and that's because most people do want more of the same.

Besides, this game does generally have all new resources bar music. All the backgrounds and foregrounds are technically new (don't look it, but compare them to those from New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii and there's a very clear difference), many enemies and gimmicks are new, the level designs are new, many of the items are new (except the coin block Mario wears).

And yes, I think it'll definitely be a massive success commercially.
A Good Nintendo 3DS Forum
Someone I'm friends with owns the above.
Want Super Mario 3D Land news and info? Click here
Proud subscriber, Waluigious writer, game modder, world record attempter and ex glitch hunter.
cheatmaster30

Postby Wiison » 18 Jul 2012, 09:44

cheatmaster30 wrote:There's a reason people buy sequels and that's because most people do want more of the same.

You're right. For instance Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite video games of all time and it's hardly any different to the original :) Anyway you mentioned all the new features in this game, there's actually quite a lot! Overall in terms of gameplay it needs to be the same so that it's still a Mario game, so I also agree when you said originality is overrated in video games 8) I'm looking forward to this game more now :)
Wiison

Postby sciqueen » 18 Jul 2012, 12:45

I will be buying this because I love Mario platformers but I'm fed up of the 'NEW Super Mario Bros' (the art style isn't visually appealing like the old games)
sciqueen

Postby NSMB23DS » 19 Jul 2012, 01:58

Commandervideo wrote:NSMB2 I can afford and will buy :b

Coin rush will add infinite replay value, but I'd rather have a level editor than DLC

I TOTALLY agree with every single word you said, including the "afford and buy" part 8)
Obviously got NSMB2 midnight of August 19th (hence the name)
NSMB23DS

Postby pokemonboy » 20 Jul 2012, 16:49

i cant wait for this game to come out i'm going to get 1 million as soon as possible my aim it to get 1 million in a week
pokemonboy

Postby NSMB23DS » 23 Jul 2012, 01:04

Wiison wrote:I'll definetly buy this because i'm a Mario fan, but I must say this addition to the series doesn't really offer anything new. Collecting tons of coins is something that isn't necessarily exciting or innovative. It'll be a great game for the quality of the gameplay alone, but I think it's time Nintendo mixed it up just a bit. I enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy so much because they offered something very different from the Mario games before them. Personally i'm looking forward to the next Paper Mario more :)

Have I got something to tell you. :twisted: NSMB2 has co-op multiplayer throughout the enetire game and remember NSMB for the DS? Multiplayer on LIMITED STAGES is beyond belieffor that title. I am not trying to belittle SM Galaxy or SM Sunshine (ESPECIALY not Sunshine. First games in Zelda and Mario(Kart) on Gamecube). SO. to sum up my answer to your statement:

:roll:
Obviously got NSMB2 midnight of August 19th (hence the name)
NSMB23DS

Postby Wiison » 23 Jul 2012, 16:29

NSMB23DS you clearly didn't read my later comment:

Wiison wrote:
cheatmaster30 wrote:There's a reason people buy sequels and that's because most people do want more of the same.

You're right. For instance Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of my favorite video games of all time and it's hardly any different to the original :) Anyway you mentioned all the new features in this game, there's actually quite a lot! Overall in terms of gameplay it needs to be the same so that it's still a Mario game, so I also agree when you said originality is overrated in video games 8) I'm looking forward to this game more now :)

Anyway, my original statement only meant that this title isn't the most innovative of the series. I'm a huge Mario fan so i'm looking forward to this no matter what! As long as the core elements of the game are high quality (Gameplay, Controls, Replay Value), then it'll be a winner, like most Mario games :)
Wiison

Postby Link9427 » 05 Aug 2012, 17:18

I personally really like the sound of the Coin Rush, becauseit would give me something to do if I'm just bored, also the game in itself looks really good, and entertaining so I definatly will be buying this when it comes out. :)
3DS friend code - 2750-1313-4447
PM me if you add it and I'll add you back.
Female Gamer..
Link9427

Postby RainbowNinja7x » 26 Aug 2012, 19:32

The review in ONM confirmed what I expected... the Mario games as a whole aren't exactly getting worse, just less imaginative as they go on, meaning they become gradually less fun to play. I got Super Mario 3D Land when it came out and asides from it being too easy for most of the game, I still enjoy playing it now and again, but not one single level sticks in my mind when I remember playing it all the time, unlike the Galaxy games, from which I remember several standout moments. I'm no millionaire games developer but I think a bigger gap between games for more time to work on the things people will remember is needed... And the names these days?! 3D Land was nowhere near as catchy as Galaxy, Sunshine and even 64. Mario Kart 7 ignored the arcade versions of the game, and they had no reason not to call the game 'Mario Kart 3DS/3D'. The fact that they put a 2 at the end of the new game while another sequel is being developed (and there have already been two Super Mario Bros. games released; they could have at least made it a little simpler and called it 'New Super Mario Bros. DS 2') made me wonder who on earth actually names the new games. And Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Don't even get me started...
RainbowNinja7x

Postby Luke Hayes » 23 Feb 2013, 16:25

I just hope it's less anoting than the NSMB1! :oops:
Luke Hayes