Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

20 best Mario Kart moments

Comment on site articles.

We celebrate the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Kart

Happy anniversary Mario Kart! Yes, 20 years ago today, Super Mario Kart was released in the UK. It's an often-told tale that the public was skeptical about the sight of their platforming hero driving around in a go-kart, but 20 years on and Mario Kart is still in pole position as the world's most fun racing game.

... read more

20 best Mario Kart moments

Postby chojin » 27 Aug 2012, 10:35

Great article, brought back some great memories of MK especially the races I had my daughters and having the £5 challenges on Moo Moo Farm (if my girls beat me I'd give the £5). The incentive gave them something to aim for and they won a quite few races. They are now 10 & 12 year old and are now MK demons, they regularly beat me and go online world wide and beat others :)
:twisted:
chojin

Re: 20 best Mario Kart moments

Postby Laughlyn » 27 Aug 2012, 11:13

one of the best articles in a while. I've played every version of MK since the SNES original and i'm pretty sure i still own all but the SNES version (all on super circuit so not bad) and its been the highlight of every Nintendo console i've owned.
And something that's bound to cause a bit of grief is personally i think Double Dash is the best version. I loved the double karts adding a bit of strategy to picking your drivers based on their special item to help in a race and the amount of unlocks and characters was great. Me and friends recently bought a couple of lan/broadband adapters for our gamecubes and had 8 of us crowded round a couple of tvs in the living room. one of the best gaming sessions we've had in a long time. beer flowing, snacks being munched and after half an hour air bluer than the shells that caused it :D

Also strange seeing my real name in an article n not my username lol
Laughlyn

Postby LavaTwilight » 27 Aug 2012, 12:05

I'll never forget the moment in Bowser's Castle on Double Dash that I had a blue shell after me... I was drifting up the spiral incline just after the lavapit and had the blue shell coming. I saw it coming for me and just as it dived at me I used the mushroom I had stored from the second player in my kart. From the angle I was at, I went in one direction to see the blue shell fly behind me crashing harmlessly into the place where I once was. If that aint skill I don't know what is! :mrgreen:
LavaTwilight

Postby Laughlyn » 27 Aug 2012, 12:37

LavaTwilight wrote:I'll never forget the moment in Bowser's Castle on Double Dash that I had a blue shell after me... I was drifting up the spiral incline just after the lavapit and had the blue shell coming. I saw it coming for me and just as it dived at me I used the mushroom I had stored from the second player in my kart. From the angle I was at, I went in one direction to see the blue shell fly behind me crashing harmlessly into the place where I once was. If that aint skill I don't know what is! :mrgreen:

my luckiest moment was having a red shell after me while i was in third. I had a triple mushroom and as i was power sliding round the corner i let go of the slide and hit mushroom boosting forward at an angle and overtaking 2nd causing the red shell coming at me to hit the guy in second that i just overtook instead of me :)

Complete fluke of course but i put it down to my 'skill' for years lmao
Laughlyn

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 27 Aug 2012, 12:39

I love Mario Kart. And Double Dash is by far still my favourite as well. MK Wii was excellent, and a definite classic, and MK7 was good, but it didn't retain the charm of the older versions. I grew up in the Gamecube era, so Games like MKDD, Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Simpsons Hit and Run bring back so many great memories for me.
The problem I have with MK7 is that...it dosn't feel right. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think the music had too much of a beat to it and sounded too much like real instruments. MK themes should be made with chip-tunes and synthesizers - not guitars and drums. And what happened to the fake item boxes? I used to love the feeling of disguising one in a bunch of real ones and seeing someone unwittingly drive straight into it. Then there's the lack of actual short cuts. There are the glitchy ones and the properly integrated ones, but in MK7, the vast majority were just little ramps on grassy verges on a corner.
But anyways, great article - I had a lot of fun reading it and reminiscing :D
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby dunc247 » 27 Aug 2012, 12:54

A lovely article!! Personally love the green shell moment, though another favourite of mine from MKWii: after powersliding round a corner on a bike, straight away going into a wheelie so that you're perfectly in-line for the following corner ...so satisfying 8)
Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer finalist: 2009, 2010
dunc247

Postby TooBigToFlush » 27 Aug 2012, 13:01

You forgot the giant penis disguised as a tunnel on Peach Beach on DD. How they got away with that I'll never know. Classic!
TooBigToFlush

Postby Commandervideo » 27 Aug 2012, 13:05

Awesome article! :D

Nice to see the MKDS missions but what about snaking, learning to do that on say at least the figure 8 circuit is class. MKDD special items would be a bad moment for me though, only koopas can get triple shells and toads can only get gold mushroom :(

I had the most fun on MKDS battle mode on multiplayer, most fun I've had on any game I think
Beating an infinite blue shell hacker on MKDS online was memorable too

MKDS or 7 is my favourite in the series
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 27 Aug 2012, 13:18

I didn't realise you were asking for nomintations. I would have said my best Mario Kart moment was mastering all the Staff Ghosts in Mario Kart Wii; particularly the Rainbow Road one. In fact, I had to redo the Rainbow Road one so many time that I became an expert on the track. Even to this day, whenever I go online I select that track to demonstrate my awesome skills.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby King-X » 27 Aug 2012, 14:26

Some great picks! Got to agree with Rainbow Road both in terms of its status as a staple course and the therapeutic music. Were it not for the matter of racing on the consistently toughest course during a race I'd almost want to relax to the theme...

Currently playing: Hyrule Warriors
King-X

Postby shadowlugia101 » 27 Aug 2012, 18:04

this is a great article, and all of these moments are great and do the game justice. also thanks very much for putting my contribution into your article, very much appreciated! :D
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby Ai64 » 27 Aug 2012, 22:00

So many memories and picks. Great article too. :D
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby ginjaninja » 28 Aug 2012, 10:31

Jumping off the course just after the finish line on Koopa Cape and Rainbow Road! :twisted:
Meh...
ginjaninja

Postby yoshicool » 28 Aug 2012, 15:28

Thanks for putting mine in!
yoshicool

Postby thenintendoer » 28 Aug 2012, 18:16

i agree theres nothing more satisfying than using a mushroom to dodge a blue shell (especially if its online :D )
thenintendoer

Postby trigo » 28 Aug 2012, 19:11

some great moments there a good way to rember the history and past games of mario kart

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIO KART
trigo

Postby LugiaCake » 28 Aug 2012, 20:22

I really wish mission mode would make a come back, maybe some DLC with the Funky Kong Queens speach announcement. ( I'm hoping she announces the Funkmeister this year! )
LugiaCake

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 28 Aug 2012, 21:29

Does anyone know anything about MK Wii U?
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby conn1496 » 28 Aug 2012, 23:13

Personally, I loved cruising around tracks solo in time attack, but just free roaming, and taking in the scenery. You can spot some really neat things if you just stop and take the time to look around the tracks (Or try to get to places where you're not meant to. :P).
Some of my personal favourites are:
Peach's castle in Royal raceway in MK64 (It's just loads of fun to look around, and certainly makes an interesting idea for an improvised battle course.)
Sign browsing (Some of the signs in Mario Kart are really entertaining. My favourites are the "Koopa Kart", and "SHERBERT". Ones. :D Also, you can't forget the signs in Koopa City. Bowser rocks!)
Driving the minecart tracks backward in Wario's Gold Mine on Mario Kart Wii. (Ledge-hanging to dodge those carts as they head your way as you make your way backwards was a lot of fun. :L)
...and finally, the leafless tree in MK7's Alpine Pass (I know that this is obviously not intended, but on the Alpine Pass track, there is a tree just off the track's main path that has no top. It is literally a vertical log. Indeed a neat spot for the avid Mario Kart sight-seer. :P).
conn1496

Postby SuperJonnyMario » 29 Aug 2012, 10:30

I can't pick my best moments. I love all Mario Kart games! :mrgreen:
www.youtube.com/user/SuperJonnyMario
4th in the first UK Mario Kart 7 Tournament. 3rd before group closed. "If only I didn't take that bathroom break."
SuperJonnyMario

Postby pikachu101 » 29 Aug 2012, 13:53

Best article ive read! Couldnt agree more with shadowlugia101. I remember playing ths as a kid and i agree that it made it much more enjoyable :D good work shadowlugia101 :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIO KART! YOUVE DONE US PROUD :D
pikachu101 :)
pikachu101

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 02 Sep 2012, 13:05

Dodging a blue shell on DK Jungle Parkway over the jump 8)
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby SamManSam » 03 Sep 2012, 01:11

Recently, my friend came round my house and my love of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! had been rekindled. We had so much fun helping each other out in the 150cc All-Cup Tour. It's a shame how most of the features from that game never made it into future Mario Karts. Notably: the ability to drive a kart with more than one character, it was a great feature especially when coupled with the special items as this made picking characters a genuinely tricky task. Where in other MK's you'd just go for your favorite character, in DD, you'd plan out in your head who'd be the best combination: "Toad is good with his Golden Mushrooms if I fall back a bit. But then again, Baby Mario's Chain Chomp might be better for knocking opponents out of the way. Actually, Bowser's Shell might be more useful, I can throw it backwards to keep the AI players back when I'm in a higher place, and I can throw it forwards to climb up the ranks if I'm behind". This was a brilliant feature for a brilliant game, but I'm not asking Nintendo to bring it back as this would keep DD feeling unique and fresh, but I wouldn't mind seeing the special items make a return, and I think all my friends would agree.
When will a Nintendo console see the works of Edmund McMillen?
SamManSam

Postby ledreppe » 21 Jan 2013, 15:59

I'll never forget the sheer joy I experienced when playing Super Mario Kart on the SNES for the first time. I never actually owned my own copy, I borrowed it from a friend so I didn't get to play it as much as I'd liked to. My finest moment would have to be when I was leading the race from start to finish with nobody even near me from behind. I was beginning to lap people, there were people with much higher VR scores than me who were way behind. Never done that again since.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 21 Jan 2013, 16:13

A great tip for having fun on baby mario's course: turn the items up to high (i can't remember the exact word the game uses, but you can change it in the options) Then, all you get is red and blue shells. It's absolutely manic! Hilariously good fun.
JoeOdranDoran

Next