Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon Black and White 2 review

Comment on site articles.

Are the first direct Pokmon sequels are highly evolved, or not very effective?

We've written many thousands of words about Pokmon Black 2 and White 2 in the build-up to their release, but one thing we've perhaps not touched upon is the sense of finality they generate. These are games that feel like a full-stop, or a line - two, even - being drawn in the sand.

... read more

Pokemon Black and White 2 review

Postby Targey » 01 Oct 2012, 14:34

If I recall correctly, you gave Diamond/Pearl and HeartGold/SoulSilver higher scores than Black and White 2. So how can you call these games the best Pokemon games ever?
Targey

Re: Pokemon Black and White 2 review

Postby tomonm » 01 Oct 2012, 14:39

Targey wrote:If I recall correctly, you gave Diamond/Pearl and HeartGold/SoulSilver higher scores than Black and White 2. So how can you call these games the best Pokemon games ever?

Have you read the review? It is explained in there! Chris thinks (and we agree) that it's a better game than Pokemon Black and White but doesn't have the same impact because it's not all-new like they were. However, it is a better game than Black and White 2.

Regarding scores, I always say this. The actual percentage is down to the individual reviewer and he can only give it the score he thinks it deserves at that particular time. He can't predict what's going to come in the future. So Chris Schilling gave Pokemon Black and White 2 91% because that is what he thinks it deserves. Chris Scullion gave Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver 94% because that's what he thought the games deserved at the time. That doesn't mean that Pokemon HG/SS is better - just when he reviewed it two years ago, he thought they deserved that score. Since then we've had Black and White and Black and White 2 but that doesn't mean we should give Black and White 95 and Black and White 2 96. It would get silly.

If it's getting confusing, I think the easiest way to think about it would be that we're gave them both 9 out of 10 as that's what 94 and 91 essentially are. They're both brilliant. We trust all our reviewers and recognise that scores are important and giving a game 90+ percent is a big deal. However, when you start getting into the difference between 91 ad 94, it's up to the individual writers.

Hope that helped.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby lrwr14 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:05

We'd also like to take special time out to thank the person at Game Freak who finally decided we could use a new Repel spray without having to dip back into the menu each time. That single prompt has got to be worth an extra one per cent on its own, we reckon.

That brought a smile to my face. I've been wanting that since I've started playing pokemon. Hell even if they gave you the option to register repel would be good.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby Bexie » 01 Oct 2012, 15:17

I have one question...

CAN YOU CATCH STARYU IN THE MAIN GAME? Or do you have to wait to get the National Dex?

*continues with her Starmie obsession*

... I can't help it. I feel weird unless I have a Starmie. xD
NYANMIE
My grasp of sarcasm over the internet is non-existent.
Overuses the xD face.
3DS FC: 5412-9906-7581
Bexie

Postby Accelgor7 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:19

I cant wait for these games!!!!!! Pre-ordered them both through game!!!!
Accelgor7

Postby pokemaniac 212 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:20

Staryu is in the unova dex, but I don't know how early in the game.
LGonm: poke you're so [removed] liberal
pokemaniac 212
ONM Moderator

Postby Tamzily01 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:20

I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting Black 2 next week. Could possibly be the best Pokemon-related purchase I've made all year, and this is from someone who's so far bought the soundtrack for the games (excellent as ever btw) and a Mudkip hat. :P
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby Bexie » 01 Oct 2012, 15:29

pokemaniac 212 wrote:Staryu is in the unova dex, but I don't know how early in the game.

Awesome. That means I'll be able to catch one at some point. I don't mind how early, as you usually can't get them until a fair way in anyway.
That means I probably won't pick Oshawott as my starter like I did in B/W, though. I love Samurott, but if I'll be using a Starmie after a little while, it seems like a waste to pick the water starter and have it sitting in the PC for the rest of the game. I'll probably pick Snivy as I don't have many grass types I like using, and if you can catch Psyduck pretty early, maybe I'll use one of those until I find a Starmie.

Aside from Starmie, I'm going to try and use some different pokemon. I tend to use the same ones every time I play through it, so it might be good to try some other ones. I'll likely have a Lucario, seeing as they can be caught early on, I've never actually used one before as you don't get them until quite late. By then I usually have an established team, and they can be hard to train at that point, too.
NYANMIE
Overuses the xD face.
Bexie

Postby DynamicPunch202 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:39

We all knew it was going to be a good review, and I was gonna get these regardless of the score. And when I do, I guarantee you wont see me again for at least 3 months!!! I can't wait for them!!! :D

I haven't a clue what team I'm gonna have, but it WILL include a Lucario and an Arcanine. How early on do you get Growlithe?
DynamicPunch202

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Oct 2012, 15:58

main series pokemon games are all ways great
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Bexie » 01 Oct 2012, 16:02

DynamicPunch202 wrote:We all knew it was going to be a good review, and I was gonna get these regardless of the score. And when I do, I guarantee you wont see me again for at least 3 months!!! I can't wait for them!!! :D

I haven't a clue what team I'm gonna have, but it WILL include a Lucario and an Arcanine. How early on do you get Growlithe?

According to Serebii, you can catch them at the Virbank Complex, near the city with the 2nd gym, so pretty early I'd guess.
NYANMIE
Overuses the xD face.
Bexie

Postby torterratrainer » 01 Oct 2012, 16:03

LACKING IN FRESHNESS!!!!!!

couldn't agree more :)
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Postby Tamzily01 » 01 Oct 2012, 16:04

Bexie wrote:
DynamicPunch202 wrote:We all knew it was going to be a good review, and I was gonna get these regardless of the score. And when I do, I guarantee you wont see me again for at least 3 months!!! I can't wait for them!!! :D

According to Serebii, you can catch them at the Virbank Complex, near the city with the 2nd gym, so pretty early I'd guess.

Yeah, but they've only got something like a 5% encounter rate. Same goes for Riolu at Floccesy Ranch. Not stopping me from including them on my team though.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby Pyron12 » 01 Oct 2012, 16:14

Was one of the criticisms about B/W to do with length. This should've deserved 93% instead of 91%. Lacking in freshness is a fair point but for the first time ever, they have add a new section to a region plus made lots of old pokemon new before the end of the game. I mean come on, just Unova pokemon until the post ending? Seriously sucks and B/W's story was godd but a tad too short.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby bennyt » 01 Oct 2012, 16:17

Great review, sounds like Pokemon are going out with a blast on the ds.

Blue will always remain my favourite but I'm really glad with the extras the devs have thrown in especially with the post game content-making/directing films, musical bits, re-battling gym leaders...can't wait to battle Brock and Misty again. Loving the selection of pokemon available early on to, especially Marill (my favourite), Riolu, Growlithe and Eevee!!! :D My team line up right there

This, dream radar app, new pokedex in Nov and a mystery dungeon game for the 3ds, we're being spoilt!
bennyt

Postby thenintendoer » 01 Oct 2012, 18:39

ironic that a series that has alot of evolving involved in its games dosent evolve as a series that much
thenintendoer

Postby Riverlution » 01 Oct 2012, 20:06

You know what? I can't wait. I've been playing since Red and Blue and am still as excited as ever with each new mainstream release. I always love that brand new adventure.
Riverlution

Postby fisher2007 » 01 Oct 2012, 21:03

I probably won't pick tepig as my starter like I did in B/W and I'll probably pick Snivy.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

3DS FC is 0130-1987-2452 If you add me then please PM me
fisher2007

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 01 Oct 2012, 21:41

Looking forward to this ever since it first was announced.
I'd probably go for Black 2,if I get this.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby wizardgamer94 » 02 Oct 2012, 12:49

A very reasonable score. If this is truly the last of the classic Pokemon then I think Game Freak couldn't have done a better job. I'm really looking forward to the throwbacks of the old games (battling old gym leaders etc). If this isn't the last classic game then, to really give the old games a send off, Game Freak should remake Emerald in all its glory. That would be an awesome send off :D
wizardgamer94

Postby toffeeman30 » 02 Oct 2012, 13:54

nintendo holds 2 special events to celebrate the launch week of pokemon black & white 2. really?
toffeeman30

Postby Pyron12 » 02 Oct 2012, 16:12

wizardgamer94 wrote: If this isn't the last classic game then, to really give the old games a send off, Game Freak should remake Emerald in all its glory. That would be an awesome send off :D

Couldn't have said it better myself :)
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby ThePokekid78 » 02 Oct 2012, 17:14

'The best Pokemon games ever'
Well, obviously - they're new Pokemon games, therefore they automatically become the best ever :lol:
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Yinyanreshiram » 03 Oct 2012, 16:43

It's good to see that the DS's lifespan will end on a high note!. :D
I honestly cant wait for these games to come out 9 days is just too far away
Yinyanreshiram

Postby The_BAAD_Man » 03 Oct 2012, 22:14

Aaaah, I really want this! It seems I'll need to wait a long time though, so I'll most likely miss any event Pokémon in the process :( Good review!
I'd rather move around and be, than figure out life and what it means.

My video game blog! - http://pixelbasedworld.blogspot.com
The_BAAD_Man

Next