Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Hana Samurai: Art Of The Sword review

Comment on site articles.

"This game is, like, seriously awesome" - Traditional Japanese Proverb

Fencing is beautiful. Where a gunfight's trademark is destruction, hosing an area with bullets in the hope that one hits a fleshier surface than wall, its pointy equivalent is more artistic. Every swing is measured, not necessarily intended to hit, but to allow for a future strike. It seems odd, then, that gaming rarely makes use of the feeling that flashing steel inspires: in the last few years we've had Skyward Sword and, well, Red Steel. That's about it.

... read more

Hana Samurai: Art Of The Sword review

Postby master sword » 17 Oct 2012, 15:42

It's the same with 'Liberation Maiden', both are fantastic in both presentation and Gameplay, but they're both just way too short :(
i will fight for:
. good reviews
. the next ONM mag
. smash bros on the 3DS
. pikmin 3
. the last bowl of pasta
master sword

Re: Hana Samurai: Art Of The Sword review

Postby Pyron12 » 17 Oct 2012, 16:20

master sword wrote:It's the same with 'Liberation Maiden', both are fantastic in both presentation and Gameplay, but they're both just way too short :(

The same also applies to Rhythm Thief and so many other games.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby Slinkington » 17 Oct 2012, 16:58

The game looks pretty good, but I really don't like the main character's design. Still, I wish I had bought this instead of Dillon's Rolling Western as I really didn't like that game.
Slinkington

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 17 Oct 2012, 17:40

master sword wrote:It's the same with 'Liberation Maiden', both are fantastic in both presentation and Gameplay, but they're both just way too short :(

I recently wrote a review for Liberation Maiden in the Reviews section of the forum and said exactly the same thing, albiet in spectaularly long winded fashion.

I think that Hana Samurai looks very good though despite it's flaws, and seems like fun. Hopefully, like Liberation Maiden it has a score-attack side to it that gives it some extra replay value. Maybe Reviewtiful Joe can clear that up for me?
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Jazzer94 » 17 Oct 2012, 18:33

It really is a good game just a bit to short, also the last boss is way to difficult (tried 10 times at time of writing this and still haven't beaten him). :cry:
My 3DS friend code is 5155-3100-6367 PM if you want to exchange codes
NNID: Justinius94
Jazzer94

Postby KairiZero » 18 Oct 2012, 13:07

This looks like it could be fun! SquareEnix need to get their finger out and bring Bushido Blade kicking and screaming onto the 3DS I think, that would be amazing!

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero

Postby alexjones94 » 26 Oct 2012, 17:06

I think the fact that this has come to 3DS, rather than Wii, is a blessing in disguise. Free from inaccurate motion-waggling, it looks like the game Red Steel should've been. Before reading this review, I'd passed the game off as my most loathed game genre - the hack and slash - but I might just give it a go now.

PS. It's nice to see Joe getting some decent games now and then. Remember Chandra, the occasional good game will make his anger more potent when he does get given a dud. :lol:
alexjones94