Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

What is the best Nintendo console of all time? Vote now!

Comment on site articles.

Colette Barr picks her favourite

Earlier this week we discovered what Nintendo's best and worst consoles are. It was interesting to see the results and great to read everybody's comments - people are definitely divided when it comes to the question of what's the best Nintendo game of all time. I know I found it difficult thinking about which console I'd choose as my overall favourite.

... read more

What is the best Nintendo console of all time? Vote now!

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 27 Oct 2012, 09:46

I can't comment on the NES or SNES what with being a Sega Boy back in the day, but for having the biggest jump from one generation to the next, I'll have to say Nintendo 64.
While the Gamecube only offered more power and better graphics, and the Wii only presented new controls, the N64 did both. For the first time you could fully utilise 3D polygons to create 3D characters that existed in fully 3D worlds with an unlimited degree of control for the first time thanks to the analogue stick.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: What is the best Nintendo console of all time? Vote now!

Postby Mr Roboto » 27 Oct 2012, 10:03

Has to be N64 for me!

From my SNES to what the N64 could do at the time was mind blowing. My N64 came with Pilotwings 64 which was beautiful! But when i stepped out onto Hyrule field Ocarina of Time the sheer scale of it was amazing and that moment has always been the best moment in a video game for me to this day!
Mr Roboto

Postby masamune » 27 Oct 2012, 10:19

In objective terms Nintendo's greatest machine would have to be the DS: cheap, an enormous userbase, literally hundreds of easily accessible and worthwhile games, comfortable to hold and very easy to use. Arguably, it was the console that allowed video games to be elevated to a 'more respectable' medium. It didn't try to pander to any specific audience, it didn't try to revolutionary. It tried to be a good, solid console, at it succeeded enormously.

Although personally, I'd label my own favourite as the GBA, purely due to the memories I associate with it.
psn: Cervanres
masamune

Postby shy guy 64 » 27 Oct 2012, 10:33

i cant chose, it wouldnt be one of the ones i havnt owned though
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 27 Oct 2012, 10:37

My most memorable gaming moments were on SEGA Mega Drive, playing Sonic 1 and 2 over and over, not being able to get past the Wing Fortress boss. I've been a Sonic fan ever since I was five.
We didn't have much money, so I was doing this until 2003(ish), after which I got a Gameboy Advance SP as a gift, and started playing Sonic on that!
Then I was bought a Gamecube. I used to spend hours playing Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Simpson's Hit and Run.
I got a Wii when I was twelve and now I have a 3DS, but my happiest moments of gaming have to be on the Mega Drive (sorry Nintendo), the Gamecube coming a close second.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby LavaTwilight » 27 Oct 2012, 10:50

To me it must be the Gamecube! I've owned previous Nintendo consoles, but back then they were just a 'games console' and I couldn't understand why I could play some games on my SNES but not on the MegaDrive and vice versa. I knew why I just didn't care much for the answer. 'Can't we all just get along?' I thought. So I was undecided, but then I played the Gamecube and fell instantly in love with my Pikmin. I also began realising I was a smart move on F-Zero, Mario Sunshine was my first 3D Mario game (having never owned an N64) and Smash Bros Brawl became the first fighting game I truly adored! Since then I couldn't own any other console without preferring my Nintendo! Who needs High Definition when Nintendo has Fun Definition?
LavaTwilight

Postby JamieRIOT » 27 Oct 2012, 12:23

Mine for pure nostalgia reasons is the N64, but the SNES and Gamecube are tied in 2nd for me.
JamieRIOT

Postby JamieRIOT » 27 Oct 2012, 12:26

JamieRIOT

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 27 Oct 2012, 12:32

Despite my first Nintedo memory being Donkey Kong Country on SNES my favourite console has been the Wii. Yes its had some rough patches notably in the last year or so but my greatest gaming memories came from playing the Wii. Going down to my local game at 6 in the morning to pick it up; discovering the fun of motion control for the first time; crying when Midna left at the end of Twilight Princess; discovering Metroid for the first time with Metroid Prime Trilogy; finding out that when you defeat Orochi in Okami it is in fact only a 3rd of the game; the chainsaw guy in resi 4; just playing Galaxy 2; also crying at the end of Skyward Sword... the list goes on!! I LOVE YOU WII NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS <3
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby ThePokekid78 » 27 Oct 2012, 12:36

Even though I never owned one, it's gotta be Gamcube. The console had it all: my two favourite Metroids (Prime 1 & 2), my favourite Zelda (Twilight Princess), my favourite Mario Kart (Double Dash), and let's not forget two proper 3D pokemon adventures, Resi 4, Smash Bros or Pikmin! But, best of all, playing Ruby & Sapphire (the best Pokemon games!) on the big screen! Too much win!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Mastearl » 27 Oct 2012, 12:39

For me it has to be the GBA, first handheld/nintendo thing and all that
Mastearl

Postby higgins78 » 27 Oct 2012, 12:41

Well, I fell I'm in a good position to judge since I have owned every major Nintendo console - and almost all the AAA games - since the NES. My list would look a little something like this...

1. Super Nintendo
2. N64
3. Gamecube
4. Nintendo Entertainment System
5. Wii
higgins78

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 27 Oct 2012, 12:50

Definitely the SNES. It was my first home console, and had the likes of Starwing, Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart, A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana... To this day, when I see a SNES being sold at a car boot sale or whatever, I'm still tempted to buy the beautiful little thing, even though I already have two.
JoeOdranDoran

Postby Slinkington » 27 Oct 2012, 12:54

So many people are saying N64. I couldn't disagree more. That system had a pretty strange controller IMO, it was alright but not amazing. And the games. Unfortunately, there were only one or two of them that I actually liked. Both Zeldas, Mario 64/Kart/Party 1/Paper and then Mischief Makers. That's it for me.

I'd say the best system is the GameBoy Advance. It has all my favourite games from the SNES, only portable and with added touches, it's a small, sleek and a comfortable system to use. The library of games I like which are exclusive to the system is pretty extensive, and it even plays all GameBoy and GameBoy Color games, too. And there are a load of great games for those systems, too.
Slinkington

Postby Riverlution » 27 Oct 2012, 12:57

My list, in order of preference:

1. N64
2. SNES
3. Gameboy Advance
4. DS
5. Gamecube
6. 3DS
7. Gameboy
8. NES
9. Wii

This is based on the amount of fun I've had with each system (And how many hours of my life I wasted on each!) and how many good games I can recall. Nostalgia probably affects this too.
Riverlution

Postby Zelda101 » 27 Oct 2012, 13:04

i love the N64. i have so many happy memories with the console. from me and my friend being in awe of grown up Link and Zelda to exploring the fun, action-packed adventure of Banjo Kazooie.
Zelda101

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 27 Oct 2012, 13:14

Despite my username, I voted for the NES. Why? Because it saved the entire industry from complete destruction and gave us Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mother, Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Castlevania, Mega Man, Battletoads, Bomberman, Double Dragon, Dr.Mario, Tetris, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Duck Hunt, Ghosts'N'Goblins, Punch Out!! and even R.O.B! :mrgreen:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby stealth1497 » 27 Oct 2012, 13:27

I've had many great gaming experiences with my previous consoles, I love my GBA and my brand new 3DS - but for me, it was always going to be the N64. I relived Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS about a year ago now...which made me play it all through again on the N64. Zelda, Super Mario 64, Star Fox, Mario Kart - the list is endless.
3DS code: 1160 9854 7866 NNID: Natty_T
stealth1497

Postby reeesy » 27 Oct 2012, 13:42

It's a close call between the SNES and the N64. While in my opinion, the SNES had the best software library of all of Nintendo's past consoles, I think I have to vote for the N64. With the likes of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, Nintendo's leap to 3D gaming felt so effortless and masterful. It was the most exciting era of gaming I can remember.
Last edited by reeesy on 28 Oct 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
reeesy

Postby fisher2007 » 27 Oct 2012, 14:33

shy guy 64 wrote:i cant chose, it wouldnt be one of the ones i havnt owned though
fisher2007

Postby WolfyWardark » 27 Oct 2012, 15:23

Nintendo 64 for me too, but I love all of their consoles/handhelds! :)
WolfyWardark

Postby geengy » 27 Oct 2012, 15:49

DS. Despite the overload of casual games, it still had plenty of hardcore games (And admittedly, pretty much only one 18+ game-GTA). Plus, touch screen gameplay never felt more natural, leading to handy maps, fun drawing and tough Mensa games.
If Jack likes it, then then it's not Shloer they put inside those things...
3DS FC: 4012-3382-0569
geengy

Postby jonnyjazz » 27 Oct 2012, 16:08

For me I'd say the Game Boy is the best in terms of nostalgia, playing and trading Pokemon in the playground was the absolute bomb. N64 was a close second for all the multiplayer classics like Mario Party 2, Battletanks, Bomberman 64, Mario Kart, Lylat Wars, Smash Bros, Goldeneye and Turok Rage Wars (and Snowboard Kids which seemed incredible when I was 7)
jonnyjazz

Postby theycallmejack » 27 Oct 2012, 16:13

From a relatively objective standpoint, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that the Wii isn't Nintendo's best console of all time. I'm it's sold millions of units and millions more games, it introduced gaming to a much much wider audience and let's face it; it's had some flipping brilliant games! Skyward Sword, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, upgraded Twilight Princess, Little King Story, all the New Play Control ones, the casual titles such as Wii Party and Endless Ocean (which is a personal favourite of mine), the awesome indie titles such as World of Goo and the Bit Trip series! Oh the Wii is awesome! Nintendo proved with the Wii that gaming can be as creative and artistic a field as any and the best console isn't always the one with the best graphics!
theycallmejack

Postby mooksam22 » 27 Oct 2012, 16:29

This is a surprisingly tough one. I believe the Wii marked Nintendo at its absolute creative zenith with games such as Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Skyward Sword, but the console had a number of well documented issues I'm not going to go into here. For me, it's a close battle between the N64 and Gamecube. The N64 was my first Nintendo console and was the one that truly got me hooked on gaming. My teens were practically defined by it and it certainly provided me with a lot of memorable gaming experiences. There were Nintendo's own landmark titles, including Super Mario 64, OoT and Majora's Mask, and Rare's impressive output with games such as Banjo-Kazooie. Then there were hidden gems like Space Station Silicon Valley, and Japanese oddities Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman. Not to mention the multiplayer games I played with my siblings such as Bust-a-Move 2 and Mario Kart 64. All in all it was a console that gave me great games and great memories.

I can remember the first time I played an N64 game - Diddy Kong Racing - at a demo kiosk in Toys-r-us in late '97. I knew I was getting an N64 for Christmas that year and eagerly looked at the games on offer. I was amazed at the jump from the Mega Drive to what was being displayed in front of me. When I got my N64 a month or so later, I was amazed all over again by Super Mario 64, and again when I played Ocarina of Time a year later! I believe that generation (and I'm including the N64's competitors) marked the biggest leap in technology console gamers have ever seen, because not only did it mark a massive graphical leap, but a gameplay shift, too, as designers adjusted to polygonal game worlds. It felt new and daring. Of course the N64 had its problems, not least a controller I now find unwieldy and uncomfortable to use - but at the time I didn't care.

While the N64 will always be widely remembered for its landmark games, its successor is, in my view, one of the most criminally underrated consoles. I can't understand why, because, to put it bluntly, the Gamecube was just so frickin' awesome. It was small, robust and good looking, was powerful, had a brilliantly ergonomic controller that moulded perfectly to my hands, and possessed an outstanding, but small games library. Games like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Games like Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia. Then there's Resident Evil 4... I suppose it's library pretty much sums the console up in general - small, but packing one hell of a punch. However, towards the end of its life (and Twilight Princess aside), I sadly found myself starting to run out of new things to play, and, eagre for new game experiences, I purchased a PS2. The Gamecube's last days were bittersweet for me, but when it was in its prime, it certainly rocked.

When it comes down to it though, I have to go with my gut, and it's screaming N64.

I have to count the handhelds separately, but this one is much easier - the DS, hands down, for its incredible library and genuine innovation.
mooksam22

Next