Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon Black and White 2: A fan's-eye view

Comment on site articles.

Marti Bennett enjoys the expanded Unova dex and collecting medals

I have been playing Pokemon games since I was just nine years old. Now at the age of 22, I still adore the series. It's probably my favourite thing in the world. I look forward to every Pokemon game, including the spin offs, and Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 were certainly no exception.

... read more

Pokemon Black and White 2: A fan's-eye view

Postby myosan8bit » 28 Oct 2012, 10:26

Hi Marti, playing Black 2 on my Zelda 3DS won from the good people at ONM...again, much thanks...yes the game is wonderful. I just wish I had more hours in the day to play it! Medals great and the thought of catching some older Pokemon is great.
myosan8bit

Re: Pokemon Black and White 2: A fan's-eye view

Postby K-tet » 28 Oct 2012, 11:26

I'm glad you're enjoying the game(s) Marti. They really are jam-packed with plenty of content. Aside from the fact that I'm transferring Pokémon from White to White 2 (thank god for being allowed to trade boxed Pokémon too), I shall respond in an informal way, almost as if I was keeping a diary entry.

"Ah Unova. You may have changed, but you still remain familiar to me. The PWT has been a revelation, but I don't know whether I've become much stronger than the Champions or if they've gotten softer. Going against Red again was totally worth it, even if it was one-sided in my favour. He still doesn't say much... such integrity. I've also been 'the one and only', sweeping the league clean with just one Pokémon. I was hoping for a stronger challenge but oh well. I can't blame Caitlin and Iris for doing their best, but the other three... I did get a medal from Mr Medal Guy too, which was great. Aside from that, more films, PokéStar Studio directors keep asking for me to film their scripts. I love working with Sabrina, although I rarely get to film with her. I've also been in contact with Prof. Burnet, asking me to use her Dream Radar to scan the Ethers and find Pokémon hidden within Dream Clouds. All in all it's been fun.

I guess I should sign this entry off now. I can't keep a lady waiting. I'll have to ask my Unfezant to fly me to Undella Town. Tea and Ice Cream shall be fun, but knowing Cynthia, it's going to be a long time before she decides what Ice Cream she wants. Good thing PokéStar Studios pays well, she may want all the flavours!"
K-tet

Postby ThePokekid78 » 28 Oct 2012, 11:32

WHAT YOUR DREAM WORLD GETS RESET?!? I NEVER KNEW THIS!!!

Ah well, I only use Dream World for getting Pokemon with their DW abilities anyway, everything else just seems so cheap and pointless...

But I love your blogs, Marti, keep them coming!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Smoshemon » 28 Oct 2012, 11:51

Your going to the next championships marti? Me too! Wanna practice making teams and testing the together?
Smoshemon

Postby WiiDSguy » 28 Oct 2012, 12:19

Fairly sure it's Littleroot town in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald you arrive in a lorry. Not Pallet Town, that begins in your room.
WiiDSguy

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 28 Oct 2012, 13:38

When I started I started just like you said catching loads of pokemon however when they fell loads of levels behind I dropped half of them from my team. And focused on getting 3 or 4 very strong pokemon than 6 really weak pokemon. I wish I had more time to play it.
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby olrodlegacy » 28 Oct 2012, 13:41

Not sure whether to get this now or wait til Christmas. When does the Genesect distribution end?
Twitter: @olrodlegacy 3DS Friend Code: 3523-2031-4532. PM me yours!

"There is a purpose greater than myself."
olrodlegacy

Postby mooksam22 » 28 Oct 2012, 16:01

Pokemon is such an absolute time-sink for me - I've already managed to rack up almost 60 hours on this despite only having four gym badges.

I'm a big fan of bug Pokemon and their awesome power against Psychic and Dark types, so naturally Genesect is in my party. Its bug/steel combination strips away many of the weaknesses those types have individually (except Fire) so it's been very handy so far. Ampharos is one of my favourite Electric Pokemon (I spent a lot of time building a very high SpAttack for mine in Soul Silver), so, having caught mareep, it will no doubt find a place in my party later on.

I've been quite keen to have a different party this time round compared to the first White, but I have found myself falling back on a few favourites from that game, such as Sandile and its evolutions. One thing I do appreciate about the game is the careful addition of Pokemon from generations 1-4, adding a bit more variety. Riolu in particular was very helpful early on.

Just as good as the first Black/White, and I like all the new additions, too.
mooksam22

Postby Bexie » 28 Oct 2012, 16:16

"As I started the game I reminisced about how far we have come from travelling in the back of a lorry to Pallet Town"

Er... what? Never happened. That's R/S/E.
NYANMIE
My grasp of sarcasm over the internet is non-existent.
Overuses the xD face.
3DS FC: 5412-9906-7581
Bexie

Postby me4ndubz » 28 Oct 2012, 17:42

olrodlegacy wrote:Not sure whether to get this now or wait til Christmas. When does the Genesect distribution end?

mid november
me4ndubz

Postby shy guy 64 » 28 Oct 2012, 17:48

it is indeed an awesome game
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Kirby8 » 28 Oct 2012, 19:47

Brought both Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 from GAME and they came on launch with their free case. I then proceeded to play Black 2 non-stop and complete the main game. Loved it! I played some of the side game too. I have only managed to play a bit of Pokémon White 2 as my workload at Uni started to increase after my completion of Pokémon Black 2 main story. And now I have Professor Layton 5 to play as well, plus that workload is still there. Like you, have been playing the games since the first games and still adore the series. I always look forward to the next Pokémon games. I just love the fact that even though this was supposed to be the second bunch of games in the current Gen, it didn't feel like it in the slightest. So much changed in Unova over those 2 years. And Game Freak have changed a lot from Black and White. And I too love the addition of older Pokémon. The only thing I found weird is that some pokémon are unavailable in the games due to the changes in Unova, although normally their evolved forms are available. Like Vanillite isn't available, but Vanillish is because the Cold Storage has been destroyed and the PWT has been built in it's place. And it's changes like this that make the games different. There is still construction in the desert...does this mean Black and White 3 or another set of games in Unova. I doubt it, but you never know.
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby blaziken411 » 28 Oct 2012, 20:54

i enjoyed black 2 a lot, but I finished it a bit late because I got sidetracked by all the fun mini-games! I was surprised that you couldn't get kyurem until after the credits but muk surpassed expectations as a replacement, there's nothing an acid armour, minimize and gunk shot combination can`t handle. my team also includes electivire, samurrot, arcanine, lucario and altaria
#Ampharoskingofjhoto
My brother made this.
3ds friend code: 4811-7239-6713
Nintendo Network ID : Black-wolf209
Youtube channel: OmegaBlaxel
blaziken411

Postby fisher2007 » 28 Oct 2012, 21:32

shy guy 64 wrote:it is indeed an awesome game
fisher2007

Postby PokeMarti » 28 Oct 2012, 22:03

Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

Great example of how easy it is to miss things after several proof reads. I think I accidentally cut out and merged that sentence when moving things around and forgot to correct it. Something along the lines of starting in your room playing SNES in pallet town, to riding in a back of a truck to your new home of littleroot.

Forgive me oh wise ONM readers! :(
ONM Blogger - Twitter @martibennett
PokeMarti

Postby K-tet » 28 Oct 2012, 23:13

PokeMarti wrote:Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

Great example of how easy it is to miss things after several proof reads. I think I accidentally cut out and merged that sentence when moving things around and forgot to correct it. Something along the lines of starting in your room playing SNES in pallet town, to riding in a back of a truck to your new home of littleroot.

For me to forgive you, you must beat me in a Pokémon Battle. You game?
K-tet

Postby shy guy 64 » 29 Oct 2012, 11:30

PokeMarti wrote:Argh yes I know the truck was littleroot

wise?! are we on the same forum
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby metalgario » 29 Oct 2012, 15:12

I'm just getting stuck trying to capture a good Terrakion as he is brutal to capture even when on low health.

I chose Tepig again, Genesect, Dwebble, Maractus and transferred over Keldeo. In game Zorua and Volcarona helped a bit but I'm looking forward to playing the Dream Radar properly and finding out what happened to N and the original protagonist.

I miss the amount of rival battles though, it felt like Cheren and Bianca were always on my toes in White, but in Black 2 it's a more lonely adventure, I can't warm up to Hugh or this Coreless.
metalgario

Postby CraigEmberson » 29 Oct 2012, 20:14

Marti... I'm confused. Putting the older DS games in the 3DS, doesn't change what you catch in Dream Radar, so I'm confused. You seem to be confused about how the features work with the new games.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby NintyFan90 » 30 Oct 2012, 10:57

CraigEmberson wrote:Marti... I'm confused. Putting the older DS games in the 3DS, doesn't change what you catch in Dream Radar, so I'm confused. You seem to be confused about how the features work with the new games.

What Marti was saying is correct. If you put Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold or Soul Silver in your 3DS, you can then have the opportunity to catch those game's mascots (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Ho-oh and Lugia) in Dream Radar. But this feature is only available after getting enough points to catch Landorus. Hope that clears up any confusion :)
'pokemon karaokemon' :D
My Youtube channel
NintyFan90

Postby megacharazard » 06 Oct 2013, 17:49

:mrgreen: Plz can someone swap me my zoroa for a tepig
megacharazard