Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Highest rated DS games

Comment on site articles.

How many do you own?

It's the end of an era. Unless you're really looking forward to Monster High: Skultimate Roller Maze, it's probably fair to say that Pokemon Black and White 2 is the last classic DS game. So it seems like a good time to look back over the best games of the last seven years as we reveal our writer's highest-rated DS games ever.

... read more

Highest rated DS games

Postby Lego master » 01 Nov 2012, 09:30

I thought this was pretty good. I do think Spirit tracks should have been a lot higher though. I find the gameplay is much improved from PH (however Linebeck almost makes up for it.) I don't no why but I've never really liked NSMB much. I love the wii version but just can't seem to enjoy the DS one.
Lego master

Re: Highest rated DS games

Postby Pyron12 » 01 Nov 2012, 09:57

I have Pokemon White, SS, Pearl, Platinum and Mario & Luigi 3!
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby NintyHippo » 01 Nov 2012, 10:12

I have 11 of them.
Hooray for hippos!
Many thanks to Casplen for the sig, and Dizzybow for the avatar.
NintyHippo

Postby emperor ing » 01 Nov 2012, 10:15

Very interesting to see the differences in scores between games, particularly with sequels. Considering there's a few sequels out there that seemed a lot better to me (BW2, Spirit Tracks), it goes to show that a lot of the time ratings are a bit too high.
emperor ing

Postby chaz 1805 » 01 Nov 2012, 10:25

I've owned 21 of the games (including the top 5) and would have to say that my personal top 5 would be:

5) Ghost Trick
4) Mario & Luigi: BiS
3) Animal Crossing: WW
2) Zelda: Spirit Tracks
1) Pokemon Soul Silver

I've included only one Pokemon game to add diversity, even though my top 5 could consist of them alone!
Thanks a lot to TJ Hiphop for the brilliant sig!
chaz 1805

Postby JamieRIOT » 01 Nov 2012, 10:40

I remember buying Tony Hawk's Sk8land when it came out and I was very impressed by it.
JamieRIOT

Postby Quantum Raven » 01 Nov 2012, 11:01

While New Super Mario Bros. is brilliant I think the best DS game is Super Princess Peach because not only is it the first time the roles were reversed but Super Princess Peach has something that New Super Mario Bros. doesn't have and I can't really derscribe it and on top of that Super Princess Peach is an ultra-cute, ultra-entertaining and massively fun-filled game that looks fantastic and is fantastic to play and every time I play Super Princess Peach it puts a mile-wide smile on my face and as a result I'm now on my 45th go.
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:30

i own several of those
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby stary64 » 01 Nov 2012, 12:13

*sigh*, it wouldn't be an ONM list without Mario as number one. In my opinion Pokémon Black and White 2 are the best DS games and are not only my favourite games on the DS, but are now my favourite Pokémon games of all time.
My 3DS FC
1934-0644-1279 PM me yours!
stary64

Postby mushroomchow » 01 Nov 2012, 12:13

NSMB is over rated.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby stealth1497 » 01 Nov 2012, 12:47

My top three would be:
3. Mario Kart
2. Zelda: Spirit Tracks
1. Pokemon Black / White 2

The Pokemon games are TOO good in my opinion 8)
3DS code: 1160 9854 7866 NNID: Natty_T
stealth1497

Postby kespino20 » 01 Nov 2012, 12:54

I think Spirit tracks were much better than Phantom Hourglass. It took what was good in PH and made it better as well as destroying the Temple of the Ocean King :evil: and replacing it with something much less tedious.
kespino20

Postby Scirm » 01 Nov 2012, 13:40

I would put there Solatorobo for the great story and cutscenes. And where is Rhythm Heaven? There is a bunch of good games, but I would kick some off them out of the list and put there DQIX or 999, for example. Happy to see Black and White so high, it was unbelievable how I felt. It was like time travel to the moment of the very first Pokemon or 3rd generation witch hit me like a hammer with its graphics ;) - haha, or Crystal with moving, coloured sprites!
Scirm

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 01 Nov 2012, 13:40

I get how this list is compiled by review scores, and that the scores are only reflective of the many people who have reviewed games for ONM, but c'mon, Sonic Rush Adventure being better than Sonic Rush. Rush Adventure's core gameplay may have the same as the first, but as a package it suffers due to the various boating sections (although the waterbike was actually very enjoyable), awkward hud world and rather bland music. Rush Adventure may have more in quantity, but lacks quality.

Also, before everybody jumps on New Super Mario Bros. (althogh some already have), you have to remember that it was a very big deal when it first came out which is why the score was so high. It's also a very good and very enjoyable game despite its comparitive length and difficulty.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby ThePokekid78 » 01 Nov 2012, 14:23

Meh, I was only really into the Pokemon games on DS, never really got many others
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Mmmyeah » 01 Nov 2012, 15:59

ThePokekid78 wrote:Meh, I was only really into the Pokemon games on DS, never really got many others
Then you really missed out!

It's nice to see Soul Bubbles on the list, thats a game that I really enjoyed and while ONM gave it a good review and gave it quite a bit of attention it doesn't seem to have translated into sales, which is a shame as I think it is one of the best examples of the DS's touch screen gaming.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby bik75 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:46

Where is TWEWY? Can't believe ONM didn't include it
bik75

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 01 Nov 2012, 17:25

The world ends with you
Scribblenauts
WHERE ARE THEY!!! :evil:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Ezlo Minish » 01 Nov 2012, 20:52

bik75 wrote:Where is TWEWY? Can't believe ONM didn't include it

It really does seem like an oversight, especially considering that the list is a good 30 titles strong and contains Nintendogs, Korg Synthesiser and 4 Pokémon titles. Fair enough those first two both have their own audiences, but I'm not sure if they really fit on this sort of 'best of' list...
My splicing gallery is [url=http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=504]here[/url], but I'm taking a break at the moment.
Ezlo Minish

Postby TheNessInator » 01 Nov 2012, 21:51

I have 17 of them :D
Jeff Was Here
Giygas 4 president
Onett conquest
and other earthbound trash.
TheNessInator

Postby JAYMCK2103 » 01 Nov 2012, 22:33

Just noticed how much castelia city has changed since it was first shown off in early 2010...
JAYMCK2103

Postby GuitarHero » 01 Nov 2012, 22:34

Top games would be Hotel Dusk and Apollo Justice for me, two great games.
GuitarHero

Postby King Slazo » 02 Nov 2012, 01:57

NSMB, the best DS game. Oh god, you're killing me. Its one of only a few games I've traded in because I found it utterly boring. Like, goddamn, it was bad. Give me any of the classic SMB games anyday over it.

I'll be interested to see how the reader list differs when you compile that.

And I own (well, owned) 17 of these over the years. More if you count multiple Pokémon versions. Still need to play Meteos though, heard many good things back in the early days of DS (god that feels so long ago now...) but never took the plunge.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 02 Nov 2012, 01:59

What! no Ghost Trick?
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Darkblizz » 02 Nov 2012, 03:18

No TWEWY?

You're out of your vector.
Darkblizz

Next