Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New Super Mario Bros U screenshots show different environmen

Comment on site articles.

The latest screens from Mario's Wii U adventure

Nintendo have released another batch of screenshots showcasing a variety of game-world environments for New Super Mario Bros U.

... read more

New Super Mario Bros U screenshots show different environmen

Postby Shinigami_Link92 » 01 Nov 2012, 15:51

No, they're almost entirely the exact same environments, just with fancy stuff in the background. When they're being criticised of not being innovative, why do Nintendo go and use the exact same world themes they always do? Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world? I'm not suggesting Tony Hawk/GTA style urban, but through a village or town in the Mushroom Kingdom or something. Definitely giving this game a miss.
Also, I love how the newest thing that this game has that everyone is getting hyped about is a new character. Not a new villain or anything, it's essentially an overworld hazard. Really not that special.
Shinigami_Link92

Re: New Super Mario Bros U screenshots show different enviro

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Nov 2012, 18:00

looking good
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Liefesa » 01 Nov 2012, 18:15

I think it's looking great - should be very fun to play :)

Shinigami_Link92 wrote:Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world?

Thinking back to Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins (long ago...) there were some pretty different themes - space, on the moon with floaty gravity, inside a tree with odd goopy stuff that was hard to move through, in the branches of a tree, mechanical/clockwork house...
Liefesa

Postby Skywardwolf23 » 01 Nov 2012, 18:29

Hmm the new enviroment looks almost exactly the same, maybe a slight quirk here or there but not that much diffrent :|
Skywardwolf23

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 01 Nov 2012, 18:50

looking fantastic , plus i think mario know's how to get to bowser's castle by now it's not like he move's house every game , also why doe's mario have a blue hat and jumper and red dungaree's for ?
5OUNDWAVE

Postby Shinigami_Link92 » 01 Nov 2012, 19:18

Liefesa wrote:I think it's looking great - should be very fun to play :)

Shinigami_Link92 wrote:Why not have an actual space-themed world? Or a more urban-themed world?

Thinking back to Super Mario Land: 6 Golden Coins (long ago...) there were some pretty different themes - space, on the moon with floaty gravity, inside a tree with odd goopy stuff that was hard to move through, in the branches of a tree, mechanical/clockwork house...

Yeah, that was the level I was thinking of. I loved the level. I only vaguely remember it, because I was about 6 when I last played that game, but yeah, what I remember of it was great.
Shinigami_Link92

Postby mrmariomaster » 01 Nov 2012, 21:48

5OUNDWAVE wrote:why doe's mario have a blue hat and jumper and red dungaree's for ?

Because he's ICE MARIO!
Friend code: 0216 0853 8882
Friend code name: Ewan
Dream code: 6000 2211 2882
mrmariomaster

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 01 Nov 2012, 22:54

Regardless of whether the worlds are original, at least they look better than ever before. And if they're anything like the levels in the demo that's been on tour with the Wii U Showcase, they'll look even better on your telly and in motion.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby GloverMist » 02 Nov 2012, 20:07

I don't care if they're not the most original worlds ever, but my God, those underwater levels look pretty! Also, while I'm thinking about it: YAY, BOOM-BOOM'S BACK! He needs more love. :lol:
I've got two words for you, people: FALCON and PUNCH!
By the way, check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel! I'm currently doing a Let's Play of Super Smash Bros. Brawl!
GloverMist

Postby olrodlegacy » 02 Nov 2012, 23:28

I still can't see this as any more than flogging a long-dead horse. Not enough originality to prompt me to part with £50 of my hard-earned money.
Twitter: @olrodlegacy 3DS Friend Code: 3523-2031-4532. PM me yours!

"There is a purpose greater than myself."
olrodlegacy

Postby Nintendalek42 » 03 Nov 2012, 01:44

I agree that the environments aren't innovative, and that Mario should definitely move away from his Plains-Desert-Beach-Forest-Mountain-Snow-Sky-Lava routine. The hype about a simple map enemy reflects the fact that NSMB2 only featured 5 new ennemies, with 1 being a mini-version of an enemy, and 2 being variations of each other. I'm still buying the game, if only for the lavish visuals and usual quality of gameplay. Mario is never disappointing, and this game is more innovative than this year's 3DS counterpart (which was still a great game), but I think the franchise's 2D series may risk becoming quickly truly stale. Releasing 2 games in one year wasn't a great idea, and i hope the next sequel is more innovative, even if we get no Mario next year. I'm avidly waiting for the next 3D opus though.
Nintendalek42

Postby koopa_kicker » 04 Nov 2012, 01:44

5OUNDWAVE wrote:i think mario know's how to get to bowser's castle by now it's not like he move's house every game

From the trailer it looks like Mario and co were flung far away, so maybe the order of worlds has just been mixed around, as they try get back to save Peach. I personally they need a different storyline to just Bowser/minions nabbing Peach pretty much every single time. Love to see something such as a villian using Bowser as a pawn(though at least they do things like this already in the side games) for example: dunno how it'd turn out, but even a completely bonkers senerio has to be better than the same reincarnation of NewNewNewSuperMarioBros.
Friend Safari: Panpour, Floatzel, Frogadier
Most shinies in one day on Pokemon X: 4
The times on wonder trade where I trade Eevee for Eevee...
koopa_kicker

Postby DonnyKD » 04 Nov 2012, 13:13

So having a Layer Cake Desert isn't original or new, but space is? Yeah, because that's never been done in Mario before!

Shinigami_Link92 wrote:Also, I love how the newest thing that this game has that everyone is getting hyped about is a new character. Not a new villain or anything, it's essentially an overworld hazard. Really not that special.

Yeah, because replacing Bowser with a fat frog no one remembers was SOOO ORIGINAL!!!1!!!!

And the fact that Nabbit is an overworld hazard is why we're hyped for it. THEY'RE CHANGING THINGS UP.

Tell me how having a mechanic where you chase a little rabbit dude for a special item in established levels is less fun than Mario in space for the fifth time in the freaking row. Or replacing Bowser with someone we won't give a damn about.
DonnyKD

Postby SM3DL2 » 11 Nov 2012, 22:07

I hope there's not too many desert levels with Chain Chomps because I don't like them.

Looking good so far, however.
SM3DL2