Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Highest rated Wii games

Comment on site articles.

As we gear up for Wii U, it's time to celebrate the best Wii games

Is it time to say goodbye to the Wii? Not according to Nintendo Of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime who has said that the company will continue to sell the console side-by-side with Wii U for some time. Even so, it's probably fair to say that we've played the best Wii games already. While LEGO Lord Of The Rings and Epic Mickey 2 are still to come this year, they're probably not going to hit the heights of the games released during the Wii's peak era.

... read more

Highest rated Wii games

Postby Lego master » 02 Nov 2012, 08:34

I definitely agree with most of this list. To be honest, I would have put Smash bros third or second but besides that, I think this list is pretty accurate.
Lego master

Re: Highest rated Wii games

Postby Pyron12 » 02 Nov 2012, 10:23

Again same problem with the DS version of the article.
WHERE THE HELL IS NO MORE HEROES AND DESPERATE STRUGGLE! *cools down*
No, seriously why aren't they there? Suda51 made two great games and they get completely ignored in the making of this list.

I think Other M is better than Super Metroid (rage all you want SM fans I still stand by this statement). People noticed Other Ms similarity to Fusion yet they overlooked the fact that Super Metroid has the same enemies location and bosses. In short, I think Super Metroid is overrated because of those reasons including the addition of shooting in all directions (whilst a good change) felt gimmicky at times. The only good thing about Super Metroid is its final boss.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby kespino20 » 02 Nov 2012, 10:35

I largely agree with this list but I think Last Story should be on there! Xenoblade should have been a bit higher too...
kespino20

Postby chuddy2001uk » 02 Nov 2012, 10:42

Agree with the list but there's a broken bit of HTML on the Metroid: Other M section.
chuddy2001uk

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 02 Nov 2012, 10:51

Smash bros and Twilight princess should swap places in my book. I also would have reduced the position of new super mario bros by quite a bit as well
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby Super llama bro » 02 Nov 2012, 11:04

Onm really cant make there mind up about some things. In an article from a while ago, they said mario galaxy 2 was the best nintendo game ever and put skyward sword second and twighlight princess is quite far up the list (22nd i think). However in this they put galaxy 2 in 4th and even put its predeccessor (which at one point they said it wasn't as good as the sequal) in front of it and what was ince second first. Anyway, onm seem to confuse me in some ways is what im trying to get at :?:
Super llama bro

Postby King Slazo » 02 Nov 2012, 11:27

Skyward Sword the best Wii game? That's fine.

But Twilight Princess the second best? Dear God no, that game repulsed me before I could even hit the first dungeon. Looked bad, controls were bad, story was bad, the entire thing was just... bad. One of the five worst games I've ever played.

Still, better than having Brawl as the greatest game ever. How that's managed to win the forum's top 100 two years in a row is beyond me...
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby shy guy 64 » 02 Nov 2012, 11:27

thw two zeldas are at the top rightly so id say
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby higgins78 » 02 Nov 2012, 11:41

Agree with @King Slazo that Twilight Princess doesn't deserve to be placed so highly, I wouldn't even place it in my top 20 Wii games, and I am as big a Zelda fan as is possible to get. It was for me the first time Nintendo tried pleasing the "fans" who didn't play Wind Waker for simply not looking "hardcore" enough, and in that regard end up pleasing nobody. The first time Zelda felt stale and trite. Skyward Sword on the other hand is nothing short of a masterpiece. Also I agree with @Pyron 12...where the hell is No More Heroes either 1 or 2? Definitely deserve to be placed somewhere in the top 20. Finally, where the hell is Punch Out!?

My top 5 for the Wii would be...5. Punch Put 4. Xenoblade Chronicles 3. No More Heroes 2 2. Skyward Sword 1. Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.
Last edited by higgins78 on 02 Nov 2012, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
higgins78

Postby K-tet » 02 Nov 2012, 11:42

Not quite the list I agree with. In actual fact I think it's pretty poor. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is by far the best game on Wii, and is far better than both Zelda offerings by a clear country mile (Skyward Sword is a masterclass but had technical problems, and is nowhere close to Galaxy 2 in terms of in-depth gameplay in my opinion). If we're comparing Twilight Princess to Galaxy 1, clearly you've missed the point. TP is nowhere near Galaxy's calibre. Smash Brawl is an absolute let-down. Overhyped and doggedly defended by the fans that can't see just how bad it is compared to Melee. Promised so much by Sakurai and aside from the SSE, failed on every count. It's not even worth 75% if I'm brutally honest. Mario Kart Wii is a miles better game. Everything else kind of seems about right, although I'd throw Pandora's Tower and The Last Story on there and rank them higher. If I were to compile the same list, Brawl wouldn't feature, it's that bad when compared to the other offerings.

For the record, in my honest opinion, Super Mario Galaxy (in terms of being the complete package: entertainment factor, how engrossing the game is, its audio and visuals, and its presentation) is the best first-party game ever made in the 7th generation bar none across all platforms. What Galaxy 2 did thereafter just set the yardstick so high that I've yet to see any game on any platform to date even come close to it. ZombiU looks to challenge it and that's a third-party game. Black 2 and White 2 also came close as a direct sequel too, and I class those as the best games on the DS period.
K-tet

Postby Quantum Raven » 02 Nov 2012, 11:47

Skyward Sword is not the best Wii game because it's Wii MotionPlus-enhanced controls are inaccurate every now and then so for me the best Wii game is Super Mario Galaxy 2 and personally I would put Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 at number 2 and number 1 on the list because they are 1,000 times better and as gameplay experinces go they are head and shoulders above the rest.
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven

Postby Super Sladey » 02 Nov 2012, 12:53

Xenoblade should have been higher than 14 surely! Can't wait to see what monolith do for the wii u :D
Come back later when I've thought of one
Super Sladey

Postby MatthewONM » 02 Nov 2012, 12:58

King Slazo wrote:But Twilight Princess the second best? Dear God no, that game repulsed me before I could even hit the first dungeon. Looked bad, controls were bad, story was bad, the entire thing was just... bad. One of the five worst games I've ever played.

Hyperbole is fun!
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby NSMB23DS » 02 Nov 2012, 12:58

I have no idea why anyone could like Skyward Sword for anything other than the story, which wasn't all that great either. And the orchestral music in Galaxy was the downfall. AND Mario Kart Wii was my least favorite racing game. In my opinion Brawl would be once again the best Wii game with NSMBW close behind simply because of it's multiplayer. I have nothing agianst the Metriod or Xenostuff series for not playing it. But if Origins on the 3DS was as bad as the one on the Wii, then it should be replaced with Super Paper Mario.
Obviously got NSMB2 midnight of August 19th (hence the name)
NSMB23DS

Postby danbish » 02 Nov 2012, 13:11

I never owned Guitar Hero & Rock Band, (not my thing) or Rayman and also sold Monster Hunter, Zack & Wiki and Okami - tried them and didn't like them. Own everything else on the list though.

Skyward Sword the best Wii game? Saw that coming a mile off.

chuddy2001uk wrote:Agree with the list but there's a broken bit of HTML on the Metroid: Other M section.

Yeah and quite a few spelling and grammar errors throughout!
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby ThePokekid78 » 02 Nov 2012, 13:22

Good list here ONM! I'm surprised Galaxy 2 didn't take the #2 spot, as I know how much you guys love that game, but I'm not complaining since Twilight Princess is my favourite game of all time!!

Only complaint: Monster Hunter Tri. It didn't even make the Top 20!? What!? It should easily have made the Top 10...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Darkblizz » 02 Nov 2012, 13:24

I still think Okami is boring.
Darkblizz

Postby vtheyoshi » 02 Nov 2012, 13:26

I own around ten of the games on this list, but the one I'm most proud to own and love the most, is by far Okami. It's a massive game packed with so much charm and inventiveness. It should be a bit higher up.
Oh and, screw you Darkblizz.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Thanks for the memories and great times, ONM. It's been a damn good run.
vtheyoshi

Postby MatthewONM » 02 Nov 2012, 13:35

We should point out that this list is based on the scores ONM gave the games. In the new look ONM, our directory is no longer purely score-based - it takes into account forgotten gems and the fact that certain games haven't aged at all well. Lots of games missing from this list will be in it. I'll be interested to see what you guys think of it...

Edit: Personally I'd put Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 above Skyward Sword, but that's me...
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby danbish » 02 Nov 2012, 13:36

MatthewONM wrote:We should point out that this list is based on the scores ONM gave the games. In the new look ONM, our directory is no longer purely score-based - it takes into account forgotten gems and the fact that certain games haven't aged at all well. Lots of games missing from this list will be in it. I'll be interested to see what you guys think of it...

Looking forward to seeing it. Should be interesting...
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 02 Nov 2012, 13:40

MatthewONM wrote:
King Slazo wrote:But Twilight Princess the second best? Dear God no, that game repulsed me before I could even hit the first dungeon. Looked bad, controls were bad, story was bad, the entire thing was just... bad. One of the five worst games I've ever played.

Hyperbole is fun!

BURN!! XD

But seriously, once again this list is based on the top ONM Review scores, and at the time it was released Twilight Princess was brilliant and one of the best looking games on the Gamecube. So yes, it rightly got a very high score. Of course, plenty of people would score it differently, especially after all the years it was released. Even so, "replulsed" is taking it a bit far. And saying the controls were bad is like saying the controls for Wind Waker were bad, which they're not because they use the exact same control scheme. Still, horses for courses - not that I know what it means, but its usually what people say in this scenario.

As for everyone asking "Where's such-and-such game?", this list only includes the games that scored 90+%, and while games like No More Heroes, Punck-Out!! and The Last Story are no doubt great titles, they just weren't rated quite as highly.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby carnivine chaos » 02 Nov 2012, 13:50

Herpa derp, Wii Fit and Wii Sports are first party games and have Wii in the title, derp derp derp, ONE HUNDRED PERCENT, DERP 100% OMFG BEST DERPIN GAME EVAR.

Some of this list is a joke. Mario Kart Wii 94%? You give Luck 94% out of 100? Bossing the race, 1st place for the entirety of the race, gets hit by red shell near the finish line of 3rd lap, finishes 6th place. Way to reward skill there.

I do agree with most of this though.
3DS: 4811-6932-4056
Avvy goes to 71 - Victreebel
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
Sir_Bowser: People on ONM aren't actual people.
carnivine chaos

Postby King Slazo » 02 Nov 2012, 15:10

MatthewONM wrote:

Hyperbole is fun!

Implying I was joking.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Xenobladeperson » 02 Nov 2012, 15:14

So Guitar Hero is better than MHTri and Wii Sports is better than Xenoblade?
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby K-tet » 02 Nov 2012, 15:18

carnivine chaos wrote:Mario Kart Wii 94%? You give Luck 94% out of 100? Bossing the race, 1st place for the entirety of the race, gets hit by red shell near the finish line of 3rd lap, finishes 6th place. Way to reward skill there.

Someone doesn't know how to play Mario Kart Wii properly. =3

Sarcasm aside, you're not wrong. That was the single biggest issue all American players had with the game (also, Rubber Banding AI). Just a shame the pro European players laughed at them until they RQ'd. I play the game at its hardest difficulty just so that it becomes the norm. Having a lot of powerful items did scupper the 'skill' factor, but I thought it made it more fun because it kept a level playing field, something earlier Mario Kart games didn't quite get right.

However, if I can get and maintain half-a-course leads after finishing either against the CPU and in quite a few cases via online play, what does that make of players like myself? I wouldn't call myself a pro by any stretch.
K-tet

Next