Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

What is the best Pokemon generation?

Comment on site articles.

Chris Rooke wonders if Black and White has been a golden generation

I was curious to see ONM's countdown of the top-rated DS games this week which featured two Pokemon games in the top ten: Pokemon HeartGold and Soul Silver plus Pokemon Black and White. With Black and White just behind New Super Mario Bros at number two, I am wondering if Generation V is the golden generation? Will we look back upon this generation of games as the best of the best, or will it fade away like the Game Boy Advance games?

... read more

Postby bobble173 » 03 Nov 2012, 14:30

Although since I was very little, second gen were my favourites, after a recent replay of gen 3, I changed my mind. Hoenn, in my mind, is still the most innovative region, and I have a soft spot for proper pokemon contests ( none of the musical rubbish) they also incorporated loads of my favourite pokemon ( breloom, Milotic and gardevoir to name a few). Whilst there was nothing brand new about third gen, in my opinion it took the best bits of the previous games and consolidated them to make my favourite pokemon games thus far.
bobble173

Postby SammyDodger » 03 Nov 2012, 14:30

It's a very difficult choice, they are all wonderful experiences. The first games obviously give the most nostalgia, but I can't let that affect my choice. Though my favourite Pokémon were from the 1st and 5th gen, and although the 5th gen had by far the best story, I can't help but choose gen 3 because of how interesting the region is. I feel that counts for a lot more because you are constantly experiencing it while the story has always taken a back seat (until now), and you only carry 6 Pokémon so you don't need to like that many.
3DS FRIEND CODE: *2148-8136-3243* Please add and let me know :)
SammyDodger

Postby GengarGuy094 » 03 Nov 2012, 14:32

That was a hard decision for me.
I think in terms of how good the main games are I'd say:
-Gen 2 (G/S/C)
-Gen 5 (B/W, B2/W2)
-Gen 3 (R/S/E, FF/LG)
-Gen 4 (D/P/P, HG/SS)
-Gen 1 (R/G/B/Y)

Although I voted generation 4 because that's the games I personally have the best memories with, since it was at that time I was able to trade and battle with friends because they liked Pokemon at that point. Now I am just all alone playing B2/W2... -.-
-AXEL =D
GengarGuy094

Re: What is the best Pokemon generation?

Postby King Slazo » 03 Nov 2012, 14:49

Its still Gen2 for me, although I'll grant Gen5 comes a close second, and that may change once I've had a chance to properly play BW2.

Gen1 was great, but full of flaws and bugs. I appreciated the challenge they offered which no Pokémon game has replicated since, but they were ridiculously slow paced and had the series still finding its feet.

Gen3 is for me the weakest, with a dull overworld, an unrealised story (the two teams battling it out theme could've been done so, so much better), and the complete lack of pushing its new features like double battles and contests. The Shadow games and the anime respectively did a far better job at getting them over.

And as for Gen4, while the world was a big imporvement, it didn't have any memorable moments, nothing that defined it, except maybe the birth of arguably the best Champion since the originals. It was a solid game, but little else.

Gen5, well, they gave it their all. Some tricky moments, a nice(ish) world, lots of prettiness from their new 3D engine, a good story, smart design choices like merging Marts and Centres and putting healers in the field, and, well, it achieved the goal of being a fresh start with aplomb. Sadly, there were chinks in the armour, the world being a loop-de-loop, reusing the Fire/Fighting starter again, gym "puzzles" that required no thought... all those niggles added up to mean it couldn't quite beat the dual region, genre-defining, time-defying classics of Gold and Silver. Gen2 still stands tall today, although I can see them falling in the near future if Gen6 improves upon what the Unova games achieved.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby alexjones94 » 03 Nov 2012, 14:56

On a purely technical level, each is better than its predecessors. Whichever generation is a personal favourite is down to which you grew up with, or which holds the most nostalgia. For me, that was Gen I and the original 151 pokemon.
alexjones94

Postby ThePokekid78 » 03 Nov 2012, 15:02

>Sees article title
>Clicks excitedly
>Reads "the third generation is miles behind every other generation."
>Laughs
>Sees that Gen 5 has most votes

._. whatisthis

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Gen 5?? I get the Gen 2 love, I really do. Those games were great. Understandable why you like them.

But Gen 5, the best generation?? You have to trolling here! Gen 5 had arguably the worst generation of pokemon (it's a close call between that and Gen 4), it had the worst overworld (soooo linear), godawful Musicals, not to mention no Battle Frontier/Berry picking/Game Corner/Safari Zone!!

Not tryna say I hate the Gen 5 games - I'm enjoying White 2 as I write this. But how very dare you dismiss Gen 3 (THE BEST GENERATION) so easily, then claim Gen 5 is the 'golden generation'. Shame on you!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby fisher2007 » 03 Nov 2012, 15:07

I have favorite pokemon every generation that i like also hard to choose and i think generation 2 is my favorite because played original pokemon sliver gbc more than original pokemon red long time ago also my first pokemon game was red but i like original sliver gbc more and there two region's johto and kanto and it be good if there was 2 region's again maybe next pokemon game and i hope gamefreak does this.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

3DS FC is 0130-1987-2452 If you add me then please PM me
fisher2007

Postby Redfish20 » 03 Nov 2012, 15:40

Am I the only one who hated generation V? I'm all for streamlining but not when that takes the form of ripping out everything good.
Example 1, no vs seeker. The biggest flaw with the first gen games was that you couldn't fight trainers more than once. they started to rectify this from II onwards perfecting it in the form of the vs seeker in Fire Red/Leaf Green and it was good. Until gen V. (I appreciate there was no vs seeker in Heart Gold/Soul Silver but the phone system from the originals made a return. I was quite angry about it then as well).
Example 2. infinitely reusable tms. Makes the games a little less deep.
Example 3. Trubish. The name says it all really.
Example 4. the horribly jagged, pixelated sprites. Graphics don't make a game I know and they have never been Pokemon's strong suit but when they're worse than the previous generation even I'm forced to stop with a confused look on my face.

My vote lies firmly with gen IV.
Cloud_of_Shame
Redfish20

Postby Darkblizz » 03 Nov 2012, 16:09

As much as I love the shake-ups Gen V has provided, Gen 2 will always be my favourite. It just felt so big and epic.
Darkblizz

Postby King Slazo » 03 Nov 2012, 16:25

Hahaha, I'm dying with laughter at the Gen V hate. Allow me to dissect a few posts here.

Redfish20 wrote:Example 1, no vs seeker. The biggest flaw with the first gen games was that you couldn't fight trainers more than once. they started to rectify this from II onwards perfecting it in the form of the vs seeker in Fire Red/Leaf Green and it was good. Until gen V. (I appreciate there was no vs seeker in Heart Gold/Soul Silver but the phone system from the originals made a return. I was quite angry about it then as well).

Instead you got a metagame that forced you to get stronger than before. How dare they put in all those Lv 60 to 70 trainers and new content with towns, cities and a rematch with Cynthia, and your first actual match with Alder.

Redfish20 wrote:Example 2. infinitely reusable tms. Makes the games a little less deep.

Also means field TMs can actually be used on multiple move slaves as well as making life much easier for metagame players. Having only one of a certain move per playthrough was ridiculous and counter-intuitive, putting off players from using them rather than encouraging diverse move sets.

Redfish20 wrote:Example 3. Trubish. The name says it all really.

Every gen has badly designed Pokémon, every gen has well designed Pokémon. Gen5 was admittedly a bit more black and white (pun intended) in its designs on whether they were good or bad, but after 500 of the buggers, I appreciate coming up with another 150 original designs isn't exactly easy.

Redfish20 wrote:Example 4. the horribly jagged, pixelated sprites. Graphics don't make a game I know and they have never been Pokemon's strong suit but when they're worse than the previous generation even I'm forced to stop with a confused look on my face.

Ahahahahah. Good one. Gen5's 3D engine had some actual breathtaking moments, and with all the animations, dynamic camera angles and variety of landscapes, Gen5 were by far the most visually impressive Pokémon games.

ThePokekid78 wrote:But Gen 5, the best generation?? You have to trolling here! Gen 5 had arguably the worst generation of pokemon (it's a close call between that and Gen 4), it had the worst overworld (soooo linear), godawful Musicals, not to mention no Battle Frontier/Berry picking/Game Corner/Safari Zone!!

And instead introduced the most advanced metagame since Kanto in GSC along some of the smartest design choices the franchise has had in years.

ThePokekid78 wrote:But how very dare you dismiss Gen 3 (THE BEST GENERATION) so easily, then claim Gen 5 is the 'golden generation'. Shame on you!

Redfish20 wrote:My vote lies firmly with gen IV.

99% of fans who've played all five generations will tell you either Gen 3 or 4 are the worst one. Usually varies depending on what they thought of Hoenn, and when they started playing.
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 03 Nov 2012, 17:19

King Slazo wrote:
99% of fans who've played all five generations will tell you either Gen 3 or 4 are the worst one. Usually varies depending on what they thought of Hoenn, and when they started playing.

Agreed, everyone is voting on pure nostalgia, I personally think that none of the gens are bad, but the most forgettable pokemon are from the 3rd gen. Gen 4 was way too similar to gen3, but had online battles and much easier menus for battles thanks to the touchscreen. Gen 2 is probably the best, but Gen 5 is still brilliant :mrgreen:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby lol95 » 03 Nov 2012, 17:28

Gen III because it was my first proper Pokemon game.
- It had the first and arguably best deviation from battling, contests (which were to be destroyed with dancing, dress up and musicals in future gens).
- Double battles were introduced, a format I enjoy an awful lot as do many others.
- Abilities were introduced as well as IVs and EVs, the base of all competitive Pokemon today.
- Many Pokemon designs were different and quirky compared with previous Gens giving a real sense of variety between regions.
- The Hoenn Region was brilliant in design, I know most people complain about the amount of surfing for the last half of the game but for me it was thrilling to discover the different islands. Sootopolis is my favourite City in all of the Pokemon world, hidden away in the middle of the ocean.

So putting the Gens in order for me it'd be: 1. Gen III 2. Gen V 3. Gen II 4. Gen I 5. Gen IV
lol95

Postby redeye » 03 Nov 2012, 17:39

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum my first pokemon games which will for me always be the best.
redeye

Postby Redfish20 » 03 Nov 2012, 18:09

Dear King Slazo

Your defence of Gen V in reply to my ravings seems to be largely based on the fact that Black/White are better "metagames" than any of the others. I googled "metagame" had a quick read of the wikipedia page and am confused about how exactly I should have been playing B/W in a meta way. I am also slightly confused as to how B/W being made more meta (if that makes sense) means that they are better than previous games in the series. Could you please enlighten me.

Sincerely Redfish20
Cloud_of_Shame
Redfish20

Postby King Slazo » 03 Nov 2012, 18:33

The term metagame can be used to refer to both post game content and the competitive battling scene of a game.

Plus, y'know, besides that they also had better design, an improved graphical engine allowing them to do a whole lot more with the world, an actual emphasis on story, a brilliant soundtrack... for the first time in the best part of a decade, they made Pokémon feel fresh and exciting, a feeling missing since... oooh... Gold and Silver.
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby mushroomchow » 03 Nov 2012, 19:11

A tough choice between Gen 1 and 2 for me. I still play Gen 1 more than any other, but that's down to glitches. G/S/C are the more complete games, and so therefore there's nothing better. :)

I would nominate Gen IV on the basis that Heartgold was awesome - possibly my favourite of all time - but Diamond and Pearl sucked too much for that accolade - hideously dull and almost turned me off Pokémon altogether until my friend convinced me to buy Black & White. Gen IV is probably the worst generation.

Come at me, fanboys.

Redfish20 wrote:Example 3. Trubish. The name says it all really.
My vote lies firmly with gen IV.

How you can slate Trubbish then defend a roster so half-baked it was filled with unneccesary prevolutions and evolutions is beyond me.
Last edited by mushroomchow on 03 Nov 2012, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby Kirby8 » 03 Nov 2012, 19:14

I think my vote is purely nostalgia and therefore lies with Gen I and Gen II. They're all great though and all have some fantastic pokémon. But I started my journey with R/B/Y when they first game out and love that Gen a lot. And Gen II pokémon have a lot of love because of the way the games link with R/B/Y.
Last edited by Kirby8 on 04 Nov 2012, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby ThePokekid78 » 03 Nov 2012, 19:24

King Slazo wrote:The term metagame can be used to refer to both post game content and the competitive battling scene of a game.

Plus, y'know, besides that they also had better design, an improved graphical engine allowing them to do a whole lot more with the world, an actual emphasis on story, a brilliant soundtrack... for the first time in the best part of a decade, they made Pokémon feel fresh and exciting, a feeling missing since... oooh... Gold and Silver.

Slazo, I respect you on these forums, really do, but lets have a think about both parts of the metagame:

1) Post game content - let's be honest, the Battle Frontier from Emerald has not been bettered yet. Even the HG/SS Frontier didn't have as many different events! If that doesn't make an amazing metagame, nothing does. It's all very well fighting much stronger trainers post-Elite 4, but they really were nothing compared to the Frontier.

2) Competitive battling - this one I understand better, but really, if players are that serious about competitive battling they'll do 1 of 2 things: 1) Do it on pc, on a program like Pokemon Online or Shoddy, or 2) Pokesav items in - ie cheat - which straight away detracts from the rest of the experience, no? My point being, that if people are really into B/W just for the competitive battling, then there's a good chance they won't care for the other features which you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby wizardgamer94 » 03 Nov 2012, 19:46

Generation 2 because I started my journey as a pokemon trainer with gen 2. And some of my favourite pokemon are from generation 2 (Typhlosion, suicune etc). But for my 2nd place I'd have generation 3. I love black and white and their sequels but there was something about the 3rd generation that made it special. Maybe it was the battle frontier in emerald. Maybe it was the 2 amazing (in my opinion) criminal gangs, magma and aqua (no other generation has 2 criminal organisations). Or maybe it was the defining cutscene in emerald when Rayquaza came down from the skies and stopped Kyogre and Groudon from fighting. Or it could be all of these things. But that's just my opinion. All the generations are awesome and no matter what I will always love the games :)
wizardgamer94

Postby VinceLovesToast » 03 Nov 2012, 20:20

Emerald was my first game so i love hoenn + some of the best pokemon come from there like BLAZIKEN SCEPTILE SWAMPERT BRELOOM SHIFTRY LUDICOLO WAILORD METAGROSS MILOTIC GARDEVOIR RAYQUAZA DEOXYS KYOGRE GROUNDON REGICE/ROCK/STEEL LATIOS LATIAS SLAKING WALREIN AGGRON EXPLOUD SALAMENCE FLYGON MANECTRIC JIRACHI and im sure ive forgot some
VinceLovesToast

Postby VinceLovesToast » 03 Nov 2012, 20:25

Gen 3 was the first game with good graphics like the ones we have 2day
VinceLovesToast

Postby Drsayus123 » 03 Nov 2012, 20:30

First the best. Can't beat the original. Had the best pokemon, was the most challenging and fun to play.
Drsayus123

Postby KingoftheSocks » 03 Nov 2012, 20:49

Hoenn destroys. It made proper weather (And not the really bad weather that was in Gold and Silver, that was awful)
KaptainKrauser: Bring on the Asockalypse.

Credit to liberal for the sig
Steam: chronofighter PSN:KingofheSocks
KingoftheSocks

Postby Ai64 » 03 Nov 2012, 21:19

My favourite is probably Generation II because it's the beginning of improving and development.
Not to mention the introduction of day and night and breeding too.
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby C00LI098 » 03 Nov 2012, 21:32

Gen V is my clear winner. Gen IV follows, then III extremely close behind. I'm not quite sure how to rank the first two generations, but I think Gen II slips ahead.

So, V>IV>III>II>I.

That's strange. I'd never noticed that before. I guess I feel that they're always improving in quality.

3DSRulesO.K wrote:
King Slazo wrote:

Agreed, everyone is voting on pure nostalgia, I personally think that none of the gens are bad, but the most forgettable pokemon are from the 3rd gen. Gen 4 was way too similar to gen3, but had online battles and much easier menus for battles thanks to the touchscreen. Gen 2 is probably the best, but Gen 5 is still brilliant :mrgreen:

What, really? I think Gen III had some of the most unique and interesting designs (Gen V's a close contender). There's not one Pokémon from III that I dislike.
C00LI098

Next