Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo thinking about Wii U and 3DS connectivity

Comment on site articles.

But Miyamoto is concerned that people won't own both

Shigeru Miyamoto has said that Nintendo are looking into ways in which Wii U can connect with 3DS.

... read more

Postby goomba_guy » 05 Nov 2012, 17:43

But surely, if Wii U/3DS connectivity was offered more readily, people are more likely to buy the one they don't own to be able to use these features...
goomba_guy

Postby tohaker » 05 Nov 2012, 17:43

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but there is a MASSIVE picture of DS in one of the shops of Super Paper Mario on Wii. When I phoned up Nintendo to ask about it they said they were working on a handheld Paper Mario (of which we now know the name). I think this is one of the things they will have compatible between Wii U and 3DS (or even just the normal Wii). Just a thought.
tohaker

Re: Nintendo thinking about Wii U and 3DS connectivity

Postby Starman64O » 05 Nov 2012, 19:11

But Miyamoto is concerned that people won't own both

I can see where he's coming from. I've just about recovered from buying a 3DS last year. I was saving up so much, then I realised that most new games have come out inbetween my Birthday in May and Xmas. So bye bye savings! Hello to Layton, Pokémon, Mario Bros!
3DS friend code is 4596-9551-4435

'If you bully a fish on its inability to climb a tree
it will live out the rest of its life blaming itself for being incompetent'

A bit like introducing a Noob to EV training then?
Starman64O

Postby K-tet » 06 Nov 2012, 01:17

"But Miyamoto is concerned that people won't own both..."

Drop the concern and run with it. What Nintendo have is a great opportunity to get that ball rolling with two devices that can interconnect with one another. Nintendo pioneered this back with the Cube and the GBA, so this is nothing new. The concept of being able to play the same game on two different platforms however is still relatively new in the grander scheme of things (as in, it's not that well known, so to the general consumer they'll see it as innovative), and Nintendo can easily lead the pack in this regard. Also, once Nintendo Network accounts are interlinked between one's Wii U and 3DS, should any downloadable software become available for both systems, have the option to buy both for the respective systems for a suitable price and hey presto, problem averted, plus more sales for Nintendo.

Leave luck to heaven. They'll be fine in pursuing such an avenue anyway. Their only competition doesn't know how to market its handheld at best interconnecting with a system that's nearing the end of its life cycle. It's an opportune moment for Nintendo to make its move and really assert its authority over the industry.
K-tet

Postby Hams96 » 06 Nov 2012, 06:05

goomba_guy wrote:But surely, if Wii U/3DS connectivity was offered more readily, people are more likely to buy the one they don't own to be able to use these features...

Agreed, if you give people a reason to buy something, they are more likely to buy it. Nintendo's problem in the past is they didn't really do anything worthwhile between the Wii and DS, The only time I can remember connecting the two was when playing the abysmal Pokemon Battle Revolution. If they make the 3DS useable as a second Gamepad, presumably only using the top screen, it will give people a reason to buy both, providing they actually manage to advertise it enough
Hams96

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 06 Nov 2012, 15:32

To me, the best way of including some form of connectivity would be like the few games on the Gamecube that could link with the GBA. In those cases, it was some little bonus or mini-game. In the two Sonic Adventure games you could move your Chao between the Chao Garden and a temporary Tiny Chao Garden (or a perminant one if you had Sonic Advance). In Animal Crossing, you could link to the GBA to meet Kap'n and access the tropical island. Zelda: Wind Waker had the Tingle Tuner which allowed you to participate in some exclusive side-quests and get special items. I believe that even Phantasy Star Online had some form of connectivity.

With the Wii U and 3DS, instead of making games built around the idea of connectivity, just include a bonus feature. If it's a mini-game, it could be downloaded to the 3DS from the Wii U game as though it were an eShop game. For example, if it was the next Sonic game for Wii U, you could download a Chao Garden to your 3DS which will be perminantly on your 3DS Home Screen and accessable and playable whenever you want. If it was more like the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker, likewise, a Tingle Tuner App would be downloaded to the 3DS and you'd have to launch it on your 3DS to use it in conjunction with "Zelda U".
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator