Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U can unite families - Miyamoto

Comment on site articles.

Nintendo's legendary developer reveals big aim for new console

Nintendo is aiming to unite families with Wii U. That's the word from Shigeru Miyamoto who wants families to get together to play Wii U games or browse the internet in front of the TV.

... read more

Wii U can unite families - Miyamoto

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 07 Nov 2012, 13:28

It'll certainly be more interesting to use the Internet with the family. I've often got my family to stand around the computer to show them a funny YouTube video, but to know that I can do the same thing on the TV where everone is confortably sitting on a sofa will make it all the more enjoyable.
Not to mention for anyone in the position where there is only one family computer and multiple people wanting to browse the internet for different things, the Wii U can be another device which doubles as a game console. Add in the fact that if can use things like Netflix, and suddenly its a full-on family entertainment machine. Makes me think that a better name for the Wii U would be the "Family Computer" or prehaps the "Nintendo Entertainment System". Seriously, somebody at Nintendo should get a trademark on those before someone else nicks 'em.
I've got some cool video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble, so please check them out.
Latest Design: GURU-GURU, the Windmill Man
Don't forget about my Colors! Gallery
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: Wii U can unite families - Miyamoto

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 07 Nov 2012, 16:50

This sounds like a similar idea thay had with getting families together with Wii Sports, I remember having my whole family playing Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii and just thinking to myself "My family is playing a videogame with me, this would never be possible on other consoles!"

I really hope I get that feeling from Wii U, makes me sad when I see people dismissing this "Cheap ipad rip-off" as "another one of Nintendos kiddie consoles" :(

Ah well, they don't know what they're missing out on :mrgreen:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Mr Roboto » 07 Nov 2012, 18:50

It will be interesting how the Wii u sales will compare with the Wii launch sale figures.

Nintendo is regarded as a family brand with easy to use interfaces so I think Miyamoto will be correct. It was easier to teach my mum on how to use the iPad than the Sky+ remote :mrgreen:
Mr Roboto

Postby thenintendoer » 07 Nov 2012, 19:29

i feel this has been done already with the wii but im guessing miyamto is refering to news ways to unite families
thenintendoer

Postby Nintendalek42 » 08 Nov 2012, 00:31

"I really hope I get that feeling from Wii U, makes me sad when I see people dismissing this "Cheap ipad rip-off" as "another one of Nintendos kiddie consoles" "

Those dismissing it as an I-Pad rip-off are very ill-informed idiots who won't try to properly understand something before criticising it. Those calling it a "kiddy" console are "gamers" who think gaming limits itself to Call of Duty or necessarily something with HD graphics and usually unimaginative gameplay. I try to respect X-Box 360 and PS3 fans, but they often have this sort of despicable elitist behaviour,which is bad for their image. I don't care for a PS3 or an X-Box 360, but I don't see a reason in bashing perfectly decent consoles that provide fun to people.
Nintendalek42

Postby KairiZero » 08 Nov 2012, 01:24

I don't understand a lot of the hate this system is generating also, these people are not actual gamers, they're just narrow fanboys - and the comments about the system being tailored for kids are just preposterous - there is a strong emphasis on family usage, but it also more than displays its graphical prowess and brings some excellent launch titles with it - who wouldn't be interested in trying such an intriguing new gaming concept like the Wii U out? I own both the PS3 and Xbox and to be honest they're both very good consoles with a good choice of titles between them, but from the moment I saw the original tech demos and possibilities for this machine, I knew it was a must have. I've owned quite a few consoles over the years, but there isn't anything quite like the hype of a new nintendo product, especially something as game changing as this, how people can mock it is insane!!

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero

Postby Alaxtis » 08 Nov 2012, 14:47

Those dismissing it as an I-Pad rip-off are very ill-informed idiots who won't try to properly understand something before criticising it. Those calling it a "kiddy" console are "gamers" who think gaming limits itself to Call of Duty or necessarily something with HD graphics and usually unimaginative gameplay. I try to respect X-Box 360 and PS3 fans, but they often have this sort of despicable elitist behaviour,which is bad for their image. I don't care for a PS3 or an X-Box 360, but I don't see a reason in bashing perfectly decent consoles that provide fun to people.

Hoorah!! :D
Luigi!!
Alaxtis

Postby SM3DL2 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:51

Of course the WiiU can unite families. Nintendo aced that with the Wii, this is just a lucky promotional side effect. :D :D :D
SM3DL2

Postby SM3DL2 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:53

Let's just face it. The WiiU Gamepad is just an iPad. Agreed? Why don't they do the option of a (cheaper) WiiU without a Gamepad but you just sync your iPad? BAM!
SM3DL2

Postby SM3DL2 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:56

Quote from 'MartinIsAwesome: It'll certainly be more interesting to use the Internet with the family. I've often got my family to stand around the computer to show them a funny YouTube video, but to know that I can do the same thing on the TV where everone is confortably sitting on a sofa will make it all the more enjoyable.

I never thought of that. Thanks. That's another reason to get a WiiU.
SM3DL2

Postby Zamros » 09 Nov 2012, 09:03

As much as I'd like to see this, it's kind of a reason why the Wii U is going to struggle to be taken seriously by gamers. The Wii was simply a joke among the eyes of almost every gamer on the planet and naming it this, marketing it to families and launching many a Mini-game title. I do hope that the Wii U can successfully appeal to both demographics :/
Nevertheless, I'd like to see families picking up Bayonetta 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 :P
Wii: 6192 3402 8156 8236
3DS: 3781 - 0288 - 9795
Zamros

Postby the_yoshimaster » 11 Nov 2012, 03:20

the wiiu will do more than unite families,but will bring joy to them.The wiiu is something that dont try to just give you enjoyment.It like they say,brings families together and the features it has like the chat function also can bring you together with family far away.And i dont know what else can bring people together but this consul will do what Nintendo wants it to tell people.With out competitions with the other companies.
the_yoshimaster