Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Today's Nintendo Direct - the facts

Comment on site articles.

Iwata and Reggie stole the show, but what else did we learn?

So, that was that. We've now seen Miiverse and a whole heap of other Wii U features revealed, and Iwata had one of the most awkward conversations we've ever heard with Reggie Fils-Aime himself. Now that we've had an hour or so, we've even managed to translate it. Below are our findings.

... read more

Postby scouserfuller9 » 07 Nov 2012, 14:44

Worried about an SD card needed for system transfer. The slot on my Wii is somehow damaged and now doesn't work :(
scouserfuller9

Postby shy guy 64 » 07 Nov 2012, 14:49

cool
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 07 Nov 2012, 14:52

One of teh most informative Nintendo Directs yet. It certainly cleared up a lot of the mysteries behind MiiVerse and the Wii U's operating system. I'm really like the Home Screen. It looks like a perfect blend of the Wii and 3DS Home Sceens.

Iwata's Wii U unboxing was great, especially when he tried to put the GamePad in the stand the wrong way round. The gloves were a nice ouch, although now that I know that he carries them around in his suit pocket I'm worried that he's secretly a master thief.

And the Video Chat. I don't know what was more cringe-worthy; the awkward air of the set up chat, or Reggie's Japanese.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: Today's Nintendo Direct - the facts

Postby shadowlugia101 » 07 Nov 2012, 16:42

this is awesome! it seems to me that the miiverse is probably a bigger innovation for the wii u than the gamepad
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 07 Nov 2012, 16:59

This is just as good as Xbox Live and PSN...

FORGET THAT! IT'S WAY BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!!!

NOW I SEE WHY OTHER DEVELOPERS ARE SO EXCITED!!!!

AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN SCRATCHED THE SURFACE OF THE ESHOP YET!!!

# I'M SO EXCITED#
#AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT#
#COME ON COME ON COME OOOOOOOON!!!!# WOOOOOOOOOOOP! :mrgreen: :twisted: 8) :D :!:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby spacemen13 » 07 Nov 2012, 17:14

The miiverse plaze looks a bit overpacked and messy to me...
I am a Chicken murderer.
Appeared in issue 83,84,85
Playing= Resident evil 4 wii edition. minecraft PC Pm me.
Sig by TJhiphop and avatar by Dizzybow!
My model gallery Image
spacemen13

Postby Commandervideo » 07 Nov 2012, 17:16

You can transfer Wiiware/VC games...
But what about save data for Monster Hunter Tri, SSBB and other online games that can't be moved or copied?
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 07 Nov 2012, 17:26

Commandervideo wrote:You can transfer Wiiware/VC games...
But what about save data for Monster Hunter Tri, SSBB and other online games that can't be moved or copied?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo have already spoken about a System Transfer system that moves save data too.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Mr Roboto » 07 Nov 2012, 18:28

Thanks for this it has answered a lot of my questions.
Mr Roboto

Postby K-tet » 07 Nov 2012, 20:40

Commandervideo wrote:You can transfer Wiiware/VC games...

If I'm right in understanding how it works, without being too technical, because all of your Wiiware/VC software and online-enabled save game data is tied to a unique code on your Wii, you'll be able to transfer said code to Wii U, meaning it will transfer everything. This I also believe is true for Mii's too. Don't quote me on that part (although I know that's true for 3DS system transfers).
K-tet

Postby Brimstone » 07 Nov 2012, 22:03

spacemen13 wrote:The miiverse plaze looks a bit overpacked and messy to me...

I tend to agree, i think it the biggest thing i don't like about it. I hope it's more intuitive use than it looks...
Nintendo have never let me down so far so i'm hopeful it'll be good in the end.... but it looks terribly messy to me.
Brimstone

Postby tohaker » 07 Nov 2012, 22:51

The Miiverse looked amazing when they announced it. Now it just looks AMAZING! However, Nintendo somehow managed to find the most BORING, LONELY Japanese guy to show it all off. He looked like he was being held hostage by Iwata until his whole life was managed by the Wii U. Bring back Non-Specific Action Figure!! As for the system transfer, you will probably need a working SD Card slot, and I reckon Nintendo will release an app that puts your whole system onto an SD Card (the Wii has a Hard Drive of 512mb, so you don't need a big SD card). Then you will probably be able to transfer your data over when you first turn on your Wii U (or after the day 1 update). 8)
tohaker

Postby lyingthroughyour » 07 Nov 2012, 23:03

It's looking good! I'm started to get excited about MiiVerse/Wara Wara Plaza's potential.

The only worrying thing is they STILL haven't discussed how online play will work or shown any online games in actions.

I really hope there is some kind of non game/game lobby voice chat
3DS Code - 2836-0078-7983
PSN:Glasstones
Xbox :tomregan
Check out the gaming sites I write for
http://www.dailyjoypad.co.uk http://www.expansivedlc.com
lyingthroughyour

Postby the_yoshimaster » 08 Nov 2012, 03:28

every time i read this stuff i just want to get the wiiu more!!! :)
the_yoshimaster