Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U: The original designs

Comment on site articles.

See a cardboard GamePad

Last month, Nintendo revealed how they designed the Wii U and now they have unveiled the original designs for the Wii U GamePad during a new Iwata Asks.

... read more

Wii U: The original designs

Postby Commandervideo » 08 Nov 2012, 11:51

Considering I won't be able to get a WiiU for some time...
I might have to resort to sticking bits of card together with glue and pretend I'm playing it... If I'm desparate that is. Unlikely.

*Goes off to find card and glue*
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Re: Wii U: The original designs

Postby LavaTwilight » 08 Nov 2012, 13:30

It would have been perfect for playing Paper Mario on though 8)
LavaTwilight

Postby Mr Roboto » 08 Nov 2012, 16:51

LavaTwilight wrote:It would have been perfect for playing Paper Mario on though 8)

lol some one had to say that :mrgreen:
Mr Roboto

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 08 Nov 2012, 16:54

LavaTwilight wrote:It would have been perfect for playing Paper Mario on though 8)

Imagine if that was an item in a Paper Mario game, he could use it as a scanner, or a way of keeping in touch with others, or shoot ninja stars at enemies with it!
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 08 Nov 2012, 17:19

I can see this being included as next months free gift. XD
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby SM3DL2 » 08 Nov 2012, 22:58

It is amazing how something as brilliant (and expensive) as the WiiU can start with something as simple (and cheap) as cardboard and paper.
SM3DL2

Postby PuAl » 09 Nov 2012, 01:13

Misleading headline guys, they didn't reveal the original designs at all - they merely revealed a cardboard mock-up of an early design made by people with no hand in the design of the gamepad. It may reveal the original design, but it's just as likely that all they needed to reconstruct in perfect accuracy was the screen size, and thus it could generally look nothing like the original design.
PuAl

Postby Hams96 » 10 Nov 2012, 06:14

MartinIsAwesome wrote:I can see this being included as next months free gift. XD

agreed, as long as we don't have to build it ourselves like the abomination that was last months free gift
Hams96

Postby the_yoshimaster » 11 Nov 2012, 03:09

it must of took some work to make something like that and better yet i should do that myself :D
the_yoshimaster