Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New Sonic games incoming in 2013

Comment on site articles.

What do you want from the next Sonic game?

It's been a pretty quiet year for Sonic on Nintendo platforms with Sonic And All-Stars Racing and Mario And Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games 3DS being the only new games starring the hedgehog in 2012. However, there's more to come from the hog in 2013 as new games are planned for next year.

... read more

New Sonic games incoming in 2013

Postby shy guy 64 » 09 Nov 2012, 10:32

good to know
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: New Sonic games incoming in 2013

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 10:45

I'll ask the same as I always do:

A new game, without extra "friends", that plays like the Megadrive originals. That's all.

I don't want Sonic Generations which ruins the original games. I don't want Sonic Colours which is nothing like the originals. I don't want Sonic 4 which superficially looks exactly the same as the originals but adds broken physics and stupid gimmicks.

I just want a 2D, sprite based, PROPER Sonic game. Is that too much to ask?
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 10:53

I think it's funny how Sonic doesn't seem to be allowed to move on and do something different. Wouldn't you ever want a game like Mario Galaxy but starring Sonic?
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Guybrush20X6 » 09 Nov 2012, 11:06

deKay wrote:I'll ask the same as I always do:

A new game, without extra "friends", that plays like the Megadrive originals. That's all.

I don't want Sonic Generations which ruins the original games. I don't want Sonic Colours which is nothing like the originals. I don't want Sonic 4 which superficially looks exactly the same as the originals but adds broken physics and stupid gimmicks.

This statement has everything wrong with the Sonic fandom.
I'm willing to bet if Sega did bring out a sprite game people would complain about Sonic being one shade too bright or Eggman wearing the wrong colour of underpants.

Personally I found Classic Sonic's sections of Sonic Generations to be one of the best parts, rewarding precise timing and skilful platforming.
Thanks to LightSamus for the awsome sig.

"Patience is a sharp razor to swallow"
-Sam (Sam & Max: Culture Shock)
Guybrush20X6

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 11:09

tomonm wrote:I think it's funny how Sonic doesn't seem to be allowed to move on and do something different. Wouldn't you ever want a game like Mario Galaxy but starring Sonic?

Sonic *has* been allowed to move on and do something different. Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 were great.

Problem is, whereas virtually every Mario game, however different, is great, Sonic fails and disappoints. He's just less versatile than Mario. It's not a bad thing, but he needs to play to his strengths: i.e. 2D platformers or non-technically-broken 3D games (Sonic Heroes and Sonic 06 are actually broken).

Nintendo poor love into each Mario game and layer polish and shine over it. Sega rush a pile of crap out with Sonic's face on it because kids will buy it. They no longer care.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 11:10

Guybrush20X6 wrote:Personally I found Classic Sonic's sections of Sonic Generations to be one of the best parts, rewarding precise timing and skilful platforming.

They were one of the best parts. But sadly, they made up 10% of the overall game.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 09 Nov 2012, 11:13

I think if SEGA could make a 3D adventure game the quality of Galaxy, it would be very popular. However, most recent attempts have been rather disappointing. I think that the developers have taken too literally that Sonic is extremely fast, and that has ruined the gameplay.
In Mario games, you move quite slowly and the emphasis is on precision platforming skills, much like the original Sonic games of the Genesis era. Nowadays, with games like Rush, Colors and Generations giving "modern Sonic" blistering speed, it's difficult to even tell where you're going, which completely spoiled those games for me (I only played Generations for the classic Sonic levels).
I think the fans would enjoy it more if Sonic went back to it's roots, with simpler, slower gameplay, a reduced moveset and a design resembling the original Sonic games.
Perhaps a downloadable title similar to Sonic Advance 1, or something like Generations with more of a focus on classic Sonic. Not another unfathomably quick 3D adventure platformer with a measly amount of levels.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby Darren Hastie » 09 Nov 2012, 11:29

they should keep sonic 2D and make the levels bigger and the games longer 2d is the way sonic sould be keep him in the format he was meant to be in
Darren Hastie

Postby reeesy » 09 Nov 2012, 11:30

After playing Sonic 4, i'v realised If you want classic 2D Sonic, play the originals on the Virtual Console. No modern 2D Sonic will ever be able to step out of their shadow. They're too nostalgic.
I too agree that Sonic needs to move on. On to what exactly, I don't know. I'm not a fan of the 3D games so far. Due to the lightening fast speed, I find there are too many cheap deaths as you can't see where you're going. They are treated almost like racing games when they should be about platforming. His recent games aren't terrible games by any means, but they haven't quite nailed 'it' quite like Mario did with the Galaxy games.
But there's definitely life in the old hog yet. He's a popular character.
reeesy

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 11:47

All this keeping Sonic 2D business. I thought people liked Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 11:50

tomonm wrote:All this keeping Sonic 2D business. I thought people liked Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube.

I do. It's fantastic.

The problem is they "evolved" it into Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06 and so on. Sonic Adventure 3, I would like.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby Tamzily01 » 09 Nov 2012, 11:57

Sega should make more 3D Sonic games, just to spite those who think the series should go back to its 2D roots. Now, I know there have been some games in the series recently that the fans have enjoyed for its side-scrolling gameplay (Sonic 4 Episodes 1&2, Classic Sonic in Generations), but these are more 2.5D than they are 2D. The games have been improving since Unleashed though. Not the Wii/PS2 version, that was terrible. And I really see Generations as having the best 3D Sonic gameplay since SA2 was released. If Sega keep with that, I'll be more than happy to buy the next platformer. Oh, and keep Mike Pollock on as Eggman.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 12:04

Okay,s o if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right? As for going back to its 2D roots, Sega have done that with Sonic 4 and there's plenty of room for that. Look at the success of the New Super Mario Bros series and how well Rayman Origins has been received by the critics.

But I just think that Sonic needs to move on. Unless Sega can inject new life into the 2D platformer as Ubisoft did with Rayman Origins, doing another 2D platformer is a bit safe. Sonic Adventure 3, if Sega could get it right? Now you're talking...
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 09 Nov 2012, 12:23

tomonm wrote:Okay,s o if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right? As for going back to its 2D roots, Sega have done that with Sonic 4 and there's plenty of room for that. Look at the success of the New Super Mario Bros series and how well Rayman Origins has been received by the critics.

But I just think that Sonic needs to move on. Unless Sega can inject new life into the 2D platformer as Ubisoft did with Rayman Origins, doing another 2D platformer is a bit safe. Sonic Adventure 3, if Sega could get it right? Now you're talking...

Maybe...
I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube when I was young, but became tired of it as I grew older. The controls were too imprecise and you could never tell what you were going to home in on until you pressed the button. And I didn't like using the different characters, like Tails in that machine of his.
Sonic 4 was a shambles. Episode 1 had broken physics which completely ruined it. Although the ideas, such as the level design, bosses and special stages were good - attempting to recapture the classic style - modern Sonic doesn't work with 2D platformers for me. And as far as I'm concerned, Episode 2 doesn't exist as it never came to a Nintendo console. Would it have been too hard to bring it to the eShop?
Even though I would prefer a back-to-basics classic Sonic title, I'm not against seeing the series move on. Sonic Heroes shook up the gameplay with character teams, which I found quite enjoyable, so I'm not saying they shouldn't try to progress the series, but it's not the sort of thing that would be on the top of my list of Sonic games I would like to play.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 12:33

tomonm wrote:Okay,s o if Sega make Sonic Adventure 3 we're happy, right?

As long as it's as good or better as SA or SA2, yes.

tomonm wrote: As for going back to its 2D roots, Sega have done that with Sonic 4

And broke it. They changes the physics. They added lock-on. They forgot about how the game was supposed to play and just made it look the same as a HD Sonic 2 - even recycling the graphics rather than creating new one.

tomonm wrote:and there's plenty of room for that. Look at the success of the New Super Mario Bros series and how well Rayman Origins has been received by the critics.

Because they have been good. They've been crafted, not thrown together by the work experience boy.

tomonm wrote:But I just think that Sonic needs to move on. Unless Sega can inject new life into the 2D platformer as Ubisoft did with Rayman Origins, doing another 2D platformer is a bit safe. Sonic Adventure 3, if Sega could get it right? Now you're talking...

I just want another good Sonic game. I've been waiting forever.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby callum2003 » 09 Nov 2012, 12:34

tomonm wrote:All this keeping Sonic 2D business. I thought people liked Sonic Adventure 2 on the GameCube.

I know! I liked shadow the hedgehog idk what all the hate was for.

Thanks to Fabong Letang for the awesome sig and avatar! They look great!
callum2003

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 12:36

callum2003 wrote:

I know! I liked shadow the hedgehog idk what all the hate was for.

In all seriousness, are you (or were you) ill?

I mean, look:
http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/gameover/vide ... -hedgehog/
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby K-tet » 09 Nov 2012, 12:41

Unfortunately, asking people what they want in a Sonic game is always going to cause arguments. The Sonic Fanbase is atrocious. I'm a fan of Sonic, but hell, I would never associate myself with the fanbase as god awful as the Sonic Fanbase actually is. I thought herd mentality was a marketing ploy.

What would I like to see from Sega and their new Sonic games? Nothing in particular. I'll play whatever they come up with and then judge it for myself. I don't care if Sonic's a shade too blue or Eggman's name rolls back to Robotnik or whatever petty argument the fanbase can cough up. I just want to play a new Sonic game. I don't care if the fanbase hates it, just as long as I like it and enjoy it for what it is, a Sonic game. Like the minority I guess, I want a good Sonic game, just unfortunately, the majority doesn't seem to want to move on from 2001 at the very latest, with some refusing to move on past 1994. It's ridiculous.
K-tet

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 13:04

I'm happy to move on to new Sonic games. As long as the new Sonic games are worth playing.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby KairiZero » 09 Nov 2012, 13:09

I'm banking on a sequel to Sonic Generations! Not a bad thing, I quite enjoyed it, probably one of the better sonic games in the last few years for sure!!!

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 13:11

Stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork is a better Sonic game than most from the last few years as well, though...
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby CDS » 09 Nov 2012, 13:15

Sonic Adventure 2 for me is the best, as I sure it is for many, 3D Sonic game. From the Gamecube's Battle, and the HD Dreamcast remake on the XBOX360, I've had loads of hours playing this. Then never had another Sonic game until Generations on the PS3.
Still play Sonic Advance 2 on the GBA, but that's about it. Going onto Generations again, after returning to Battle, the 3D sections don't have the same feel, however spectacular looking, of Adventure 2. And I feel the same goes for the classic Sonic levels of Generations against the Advance games.
If Advance and Adventure were rebooted [Advance 4 / Adventure 3], with the same feel as the originals, that would make my day.

As for a new direction? Open world exploration or a full Chao Garden experience. Maybe you could even bring both of those together. Be a great start for a new Sonic on WiiU.
CDS

Postby carnivine chaos » 09 Nov 2012, 13:29

deKay wrote:I'll ask the same as I always do:

Clearly you haven't played Sonic 4 Episode 2...
Avvy goes up to #071 - Victreebel
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
Sir_Bowser: People on ONM aren't actual people.
carnivine chaos

Postby hammster » 09 Nov 2012, 14:03

Sonic is basically Poochie from the Simpsons. That's how I imagine he was designed.

Ditch the friends, ditch the stupid 'tude, ditch the story, ditch the voice acting, ditch the cheesy music and, provided the level design/camera aren't terrible, you've potentially got a half decent game. Just make a game where you can run really fast and do jumps and loops and stuff.
My Twitter
Xbox Live: sir hamm2
hammster

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 14:30

carnivine chaos wrote:Clearly you haven't played Sonic 4 Episode 2...

I have. Physics is better, but still wrong. Graphics are still mostly just from other games (Act 1 is Aquatic Ruin mixed with Marble Garden, for example). Still has homing. Still has useless gimmicks.

Even worse, it has Tails as a necessary assist! Lord help us all.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Next