Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

The best Nintendo consoles of all time

Comment on site articles.

What is your number one console?

A few weeks ago, Nintendo revealed the list of the best and worst selling Nintendo consoles and there were some surprises. While we expected DS to be on top, it was sad to see GameCube languishing in last place. To redress the balance, we asked you what your best Nintendo console of all time is and we now have the results of our poll.

... read more

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 14:32

No Game Boy Micro? That was clearly the best. Portable SNES with backlight and a battery that lasts for months.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby toffeeman30 » 09 Nov 2012, 14:34

n64 is ok but the best nintendo console of all time? no chance
toffeeman30

Re: The best Nintendo consoles of all time

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 14:36

The N64 did have the best Nintendo game of all time though, so at least you can give it that.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 14:37

But that would be like including 3DS XL as a separate console to 3DS. Game Boy Micro is just a small Game Boy Advance.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby reeesy » 09 Nov 2012, 14:39

Put the SNES in second place, and the GameCube in third, and i would pretty much agree with this order.
But at the end of the day they are all awesome in their own way.
reeesy

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 14:43

deKay wrote:The N64 did have the best Nintendo game of all time though, so at least you can give it that.

What game is that?
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 15:06

tomonm wrote:
deKay wrote:The N64 did have the best Nintendo game of all time though, so at least you can give it that.

What game is that?

Mario 64 of course!
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 15:06

tomonm wrote:But that would be like including 3DS XL as a separate console to 3DS. Game Boy Micro is just a small Game Boy Advance.

I suppose, but it is so, so much better.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby tomonm » 09 Nov 2012, 15:09

We agree! Mario 64 is also my favourite game of all time!
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby King Slazo » 09 Nov 2012, 15:14

Gamecube and N64 at the top? Fine with this.

Nope, no tirades from me today. N64 pioneered a ridiculous amount of memorable Nintendo franchises (Paper Mario, Smash Bros etc) , which the Gamecube iterations then built and improved upon (TTYD, Melee) while bringing its own set of new classic games to the mix (Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Chibi Robo).
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby sciqueen » 09 Nov 2012, 15:17

I love the N64 but the SNES definitely should be first, followed by the Game Boy and then the N64.
sciqueen

Postby jawafour » 09 Nov 2012, 16:16

It's great to the the N64 claim first spot. Zelda Ocarina, GoldenEye and ISS64 stand as some of my personal "wow" moments in videogaming. Alongside cult classics such as Road Rash 64, Robotron 64 and WCW/NWO Revenge, it's the reason why my N64 machine has been in use since I got it in '98.

It was massively under-rated as the PlayStation took the spotlight, but those in the know recognised the wealth of diamonds that could be found. There were some awful ports and misjudged releases as not many developers had the skill to get the best from the machine. Even so, there were a large number of gaming experiences that just weren't available on other platforms.

Right, I'm going to have a quick blast of Robotron to celebrate :-)
jawafour

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 09 Nov 2012, 17:17

They quoted me, Hooray! :mrgreen:

All these consoles are truly amazing, I really find it hard to choose, I picked NES because we wouldent have games today without it. I had a dream the other night when I went back to several different points in time and bought every single Nintendo console on launch day, then went back to the present and kept them as a collection.
IF ONLY THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED! :cry:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 09 Nov 2012, 17:22

King Slazo wrote:
Nope, no tirades from me today.

THE APOCOLYPSE IS UPON US, WE ARE ALL DOOMED!
PIGS ARE FLYING AS WE SPEAK! SATAN IS ICE SKATING TO WORK!

(Actually, I shouldn't be rude to a mod, I respect your opinion always)
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Pyron12 » 09 Nov 2012, 17:40

deKay wrote:No Game Boy Micro? That was clearly the best. Portable SNES with backlight and a battery that lasts for months.

*insane laugh* The GB Micro? That was the most pointless handheld since the VB existed! The GBA was already a portable SNES so that is a stupid point to make. The N64 deserved to win. :)
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 09 Nov 2012, 18:05

Nice, one of my comments was featured! :D
JoeOdranDoran

Postby gabrieljrc1 » 09 Nov 2012, 19:05

3DS has got to be the best of all time atleast way better than Wii :evil: :( :evil: :( :evil: :( :evil:
3DS FC: 0344-9606-6213

Wii FC: 7324 4565 8314 6443

Colors: @gabrieljrc9

ONM Staff, please add me on stuff!
gabrieljrc1

Postby wiill 64 » 09 Nov 2012, 19:16

Hard to argue against most the list there.
N64 was great with Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, Lylat Wars, F-Zero X, Smash Bros, Goldeneye and more but for me the Gamecube bettered it with Zelda: Wind Waker, Smash Bros Melee, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and much more.
The DS should be higher I mean, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, HG/SS, Black/White and B2/W2 as well as Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, 2 Advance Wars, 2 Zeldas, Elite Beat Agents, Golden Sun, the Professor Layton series and loads more.
Credit to KameRule for sig
3DS FC:5198-2404-6786, NNID: wiill64. PM if you add me please.
wiill 64

Postby 3DDCaptinJ » 09 Nov 2012, 19:19

Interesting list - for me this is more accurate list.

10. DS
9. Game Boy Colour
8. N64
7. Wii
6. Game Boy
5. Gamecube
4. Game Boy Advance
3. 3DS
2. Super Nintendo
1. NES

The NES is the best for me as it basically resurrected the entire gaming industry.
THIS IS A OLD ACCOUNT.
MY CURRENT ACCOUNT IS PARA. SEE YOU THERE.
3DDCaptinJ

Postby thenintendoer » 09 Nov 2012, 19:33

to me i feel the 3ds may have been lpaced a bit too high mainly coz of it being the new handheld console but i must agree it has some fantastic games from tons of franchises with more to come, im starting to fall behind with all these great games being relased
thenintendoer

Postby ledreppe » 09 Nov 2012, 19:42

King Slazo wrote:Gamecube and N64 at the top? Fine with this.

Nope, no tirades from me today. N64 pioneered a ridiculous amount of memorable Nintendo franchises (Paper Mario, Smash Bros etc) , which the Gamecube iterations then built and improved upon (TTYD, Melee) while bringing its own set of new classic games to the mix (Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Chibi Robo).

You say the N64 pioneered a ridiculous amount of memorable Nintendo franchises, but I'm guessing you're maybe too young to remember the NES and SNES. Because otherwise you'd be saying the best console was either the NES or SNES. Just think of all the games that debuted on the NES; Mario, Zelda, Metroid to name a few and then there's the SNES; Pilotwings, Star Fox, Super Mario Kart I could go on. No, the N64 (and I have all the home consoles) is definitley not the best home console of all time, I am split between the NES and SNES.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby TheVelvetRoom » 09 Nov 2012, 20:07

I really think N64 and NES are the weakest systems at holding up well today. Sure they were the start for a lot of things, but the majority of their games were baby steps for a lot of developers and while they had ambition, they lacked the sheer polish and attention to detail which gave the SNES an incredible amount of classics that feel like they haven't aged a bit.
PS Forever UK an enthusiast site for Playstation games new and old
Steam: velv
PSN: tvrsteve
TheVelvetRoom

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 20:24

Pyron12 wrote:
deKay wrote:No Game Boy Micro? That was clearly the best. Portable SNES with backlight and a battery that lasts for months.

*insane laugh* The GB Micro? That was the most pointless handheld since the VB existed! The GBA was already a portable SNES so that is a stupid point to make. The N64 deserved to win. :)

If you owned a GBM (and I have a GBA and three GBA SPs too) then you'd see how not pointless they were. So small, with a fantastic screen and perfect controls, and a battery that just never seemed to run out. It was a bigger difference from (and improvement over) the GBA than the DS Lite was over the DS, and that was a massive leap in terms of comfort, style, screen, and so on.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby deKay » 09 Nov 2012, 20:26

tomonm wrote:We agree! Mario 64 is also my favourite game of all time!

It's my top game-released-on-a-Nintendo-console of all time, not my favourite game of all time ;)

That goes to the little known but still played regularly to this day (albeit on my DS or phone now) Spectrum game called Run Baby Run.

Mario 64 is top three though, yes.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby me4ndubz » 09 Nov 2012, 20:28

lol brawl and melee were written the wrong way round
me4ndubz

Next