Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

10 amazing Zelda facts and secrets

Comment on site articles.

How many did you know?

It's that time again. As with the Pokemon series, the Kingdom of Hyrule and the lands beyond it hold too many secrets and so we're back with another round of amazing Zelda facts and secrets. How do you get mistaken for a twenty foot skeleton? Why is the Ocarina of Time blue? Why is a certain boss fight hilarious in German? What is the connection between Luigi and Dodongo's Cavern? All of this and more will be revealed...

... read more

10 amazing Zelda facts and secrets

Postby shy guy 64 » 12 Nov 2012, 15:00

knew it
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: 10 amazing Zelda facts and secrets

Postby inuyashaDS » 12 Nov 2012, 17:11

The "L is real" thing is a reference to paper Mario on the N64 expected release date.

thxs to bradders543 the sig!

http://www.firebox.com/product/5413/Gamer-Soaps :)
Come join my mario kart 7 racing comunities
Racing nerds - 55-6413-0547-0471
Lucky*star cup - 20--1047-4313-6092
inuyashaDS

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 12 Nov 2012, 17:20

Actually, it's "L is real 2401" and also the Mario 3 warp whistle sound is taken from the original Zelda (the sound that the recorder makes when you use it) and it hasn't actually been confirmed that the World 4 map music inspired the fairy fountain theme but they don't sound excatly the same.

My own bonus fact : A suprising amount of people don't know that Zeldas Lullaby, Hyrule Castle theme, and the Fairy Fountain theme first debuted in A Link to the Past!
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Pyron12 » 12 Nov 2012, 17:22

I knew the Luigi fact from SM64.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 12 Nov 2012, 17:55

With regard to entry #01, I actually noticed that right at the beginning of the game. I've said before that I sent between 3 and hour hours in Skyloft before even getting the Green Tunic, and that was so I could take in brand new world, looking at every nook-and-cranny. Looking up at the dome before the Hylia statue show's half of the medalion symbols.

Also in Skyloft, there's a bird statue with an eye missing near the waterfall cave. This becomes important at the end of game, but throughout the adventure, if you look at it between day and night you will notice that it mysteriously changes the direction it faces.

Also, similar to that recurring reference to "It's a secret to everybody", if you hit an Error 404 page on the new Nintendo of Europe website, you'll encounter Error from Zelda II who will direct yo to King's Tomb:
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Xikelle » 12 Nov 2012, 18:06

With regard to the Skyward sword (spoilers-risk) one, I remember when I first visited the temple on the surface, and saw some of the symbols, and later I saw the other symbols on the half in the sky, and saw the great likeness (of the "entrance" bits) with the half on the surface and was like woah... 0.0

MartinIsAwesome wrote:Also in Skyloft, there's a bird statue with an eye missing near the waterfall cave. This becomes important at the end of game, but throughout the adventure, if you look at it between day and night you will notice that it mysteriously changes the direction it faces.

I think that that was something that I suspected, several times, of being the solution to problems I was wandering around stuck with.
Heh, general thing that happens when encountering unresolved things I guess.

...Does anyone know the significance of the number with the Luigi one?
Rock on, girl gamers.
Some of the greatest games, have some of the greatest music.
Xikelle

Postby lrwr14 » 12 Nov 2012, 18:54

Always thought the statues in Wind Waker represent see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil??
Imagine a really cool picture here.
lrwr14

Postby epiclink » 12 Nov 2012, 19:12

so if the L is real says"when giant dead dodongo sees red a new way to go will open" that is a pretty interesting easter egg because you can translate the giant dead dodongo to giant dead monster to giant dead ghost to giant dead boo to giant boo to big boo and when it sees red (which in case, Mario) a new way to go will open which is a path that takes you to Big Boos Haunt. :mrgreen:
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby K-tet » 12 Nov 2012, 20:08

I knew about the SMB3 references particularly. The Great Fairy Fountain theme is actually more similar to fusing both Water World and Giant Land map screens. It has a slight progression to it that's reminiscent of Giant Land, with the main melody being a re-arrangement of Water World. As for the Ocarina sound, I think that was first used in the FDS version of The Legend of Zelda (titled The Hyrule Fantasy: Zelda no Densetsu). It was reused in Super Mario Bros 3 and has become synonymous with both franchises ever since.

Of course, both Mario's and Zelda's soundtracks were composed by the great Koji Kondo. Kazumi Totaka isn't the only one that has done his own Easter Eggs, only that his are more prominent as it's simply "Totaka's Song", which also appears in the Japanese version of Link's Awakening (an Easter Egg you missed out on). You can catch it here, and also take note on the Super Mario Land 2's Underground Beat.
K-tet

Postby goldtanooki » 12 Nov 2012, 21:24

epiclink wrote:so if the L is real says"when giant dead dodongo sees red a new way to go will open" that is a pretty interesting easter egg because you can translate the giant dead dodongo to giant dead monster to giant dead ghost to giant dead boo to giant boo to big boo and when it sees red (which in case, Mario) a new way to go will open which is a path that takes you to Big Boos Haunt. :mrgreen:

Nice!
Pignite The Fight!
3DS Friend Code: 2449 - 5158 - 7486
PM Me If You Friended Me
goldtanooki

Postby Commander SP » 13 Nov 2012, 00:52

No10 is nearly a ripoff from One Piece skypiea arc, there is a building cut in EXACTLY the same way. Further references to One Piece can be found throughout the Zelda series, from the sky world in minish cap (first sky world ever on a zelda game) looking a bit like skypiea (gian vine looks too much like giant jack - two kinds of clouds) even Spirit Tracks has rails ON THE SEA (Water 7) and of course the dungeon there is pretty much Impel Down (but backwards)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMOUkBY ... ults_video

16.16 onwards. Yes it is a ripoff :p
Commander SP

Postby epiclink » 13 Nov 2012, 16:58

goldtanooki wrote:
epiclink wrote:so if the L is real says"when giant dead dodongo sees red a new way to go will open" that is a pretty interesting easter egg because you can translate the giant dead dodongo to giant dead monster to giant dead ghost to giant dead boo to giant boo to big boo and when it sees red (which in case, Mario) a new way to go will open which is a path that takes you to Big Boos Haunt. :mrgreen:

Nice!

well of course my job is to find easter eggs throughout the world of Nintendo :)

epiclink

Postby picton » 14 Nov 2012, 20:19

There is another hidden 'Easter egg' in OCARINA OF TIME on the 3ds version to do with SKYWARD SWORD which I haven't seen mention.........
picton

Postby epiclink » 16 Nov 2012, 18:55

picton wrote:There is another hidden 'Easter egg' in OCARINA OF TIME on the 3ds version to do with SKYWARD SWORD which I haven't seen mention.........

I think i have found that already

epiclink

Postby smash-brother » 25 Nov 2012, 19:37

10 dosn't really spoil anything
Jack, I'm only an elected official, i can't make decisions by myself
smash-brother

Postby smash-brother » 25 Nov 2012, 19:38

lrwr14 wrote:Always thought the statues in Wind Waker represent see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil??

acually it is called the "three wise monkeys"
Jack, I'm only an elected official, i can't make decisions by myself
smash-brother