Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New Wii U facts we learned today

Comment on site articles.

Postby tohaker » 12 Nov 2012, 17:42

We need the Wii console to transfer the games back!? But what about us poor people who need to sell our Wii to afford the Wii U!? Can we not do it by SD Card on its own!? :shock:
tohaker

Postby goldbricks » 12 Nov 2012, 17:47

I apologise if I have not read the article correctly. But I am right in thinking that if I download a game- it can only be downloaded to the console itself, not the external hard drive? Also if I have games to an external hard I need to move them to the console to actually play them, rather than playing them off the external hard drive?
goldbricks

Re: New Wii U facts we learned today

Postby HyrulianToad » 12 Nov 2012, 17:52

Just 18 days now! I've never wanted a time machine more than I do now . :x
HyrulianToad

Postby shadow663 » 12 Nov 2012, 17:56

So essentially I cant play anything that is on my SD card and have to transfer save data and the game back and forth between the card and console just to be able to play it? The Wii let you play downloaded games on the SD card so long as the save data was on the console.
shadow663

Postby CyberGW » 12 Nov 2012, 18:06

Thank goodness I'm getting the Premium Bundle then seeing as you can't really expand the storage, just create copies of it for later use.
Pretty awkward, but luckily 32GB should really be enough for me. Sorry to those that it isn't. :(
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby yoshimad » 12 Nov 2012, 18:15

When you move your Wii game data does that also carry over all saved files. Not like I'm planning to get rid of my old exhausted wii console. Also if games are on SD card but some are on the console itself can then be moved and then transferred on to the Wii U?

Hahah I'm not even getting a Wii U till MH3U comes out anyway. :D
yoshimad

Postby Lonegamer » 12 Nov 2012, 18:43

This is all starting to sound very half assed imo :x
Lonegamer

Postby mattym727 » 12 Nov 2012, 18:49

Seems like a really awkward way of saving and storing through my eyes. :?
3DS FRIEND CODE: 2449-4608-8574
NNID: mattym727
ADD ME
PLAYING:
Injustice, Mario Kart 8, Arkham City Armoured Editon (Wii U)
TLOZ:ALBW (3DS)
mattym727

Postby mattym727 » 12 Nov 2012, 18:55

Lonegamer wrote:This is all starting to sound very half assed imo :x

Agreed
3DS FRIEND CODE: 2449-4608-8574
NNID: mattym727
ADD ME
PLAYING:
Injustice, Mario Kart 8, Arkham City Armoured Editon (Wii U)
TLOZ:ALBW (3DS)
mattym727

Postby aerosmith20 » 12 Nov 2012, 19:02

Ok so I am confused really. What happens when you have a full sized retail download on your harddrive. Everytime I want to play this 25GB file I have to move it back to my wii u? So what if you have loads of other games on your wii u? You have to move everyone of those games to the USB drive to make room for this file? And what if you only have an 8 GB console. Does this mean you can't play these games whatsoever because there is not enough room on the system itself? More info please? Totally confused?
aerosmith20

Postby JamieRIOT » 12 Nov 2012, 19:16

The storage issue gives me another reason to wait to buy a Wii U. Hard drive storage is dirt-cheap these days, it's pretty shameful that they couldn't have put 120GB in the basic pack and 250GB in the premium.
JamieRIOT

Postby ledreppe » 12 Nov 2012, 19:33

aerosmith20 wrote:Ok so I am confused really. What happens when you have a full sized retail download on your harddrive. Everytime I want to play this 25GB file I have to move it back to my wii u? So what if you have loads of other games on your wii u? You have to move everyone of those games to the USB drive to make room for this file? And what if you only have an 8 GB console. Does this mean you can't play these games whatsoever because there is not enough room on the system itself? More info please? Totally confused?

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a shambles on Nintendo's behalf and ONM's on their interpretation of the reporting of it. This raises more questions and queries than it answers. I'm getting the 32GB version, so I'm anticipatingess problems storing the game I want to play off the hard drive onto the I verbal memory, but this shouldn't be the way it's done. I'd assumed that any game could be played directly off the HDD, but now I see Nintendo's tendency to screw things up, along with the digital prices of full games on the 3DS eShop being to expensive I now have little hope for the Wii U eShop prices for digital copies. Very unhappy today. :x
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby MJTH » 12 Nov 2012, 19:55

Everytime I want to play this 25GB file I have to move it back to my wii u?

Most game file sizes currently don't go past 16GB, with the odd exceptions, but this is a true problem for anyone with an 8GB Wii U. The Wii U game discs will have a disc capacity of 25GB, so at some point in the future developers will be using this to it's fullest. This is a ridiculous idea that you won't be-able to play games from the USB mass storage device. Sure this will stop people having the ability to play games they've downloaded from any Wii U (drastically decreasing piracy), but it just makes things inconvenient for the consumer, especially since the Wii U won't have USB 3.0 as well. At least if it had USB 3.0 then speeds for switching files from a USB drive to the Wii U would be very fast (potential 4GB a second speed) potentially quick enough to be unnoticeable. But with USB 2 you could be waiting up to a minute just to switching out files to get the game you wanted. And knowing Nintendo you'll have to switch files manually....

I was originally going to buy a USB 500GB passport drive, keep that with my Wii U and download the majority of my games. But now I'm not even going to bother. It will be physical media all the way for me, the internal memory only kept for save game files and a few e-shop downloads. I may get a 32GB USB stick in the future just in case, but for now....

I guess this is what I get for being an early adoptor. In 2 years time Nintendo will probably release a 120GB version or something, as an excuse not to decrease retail price. :|

Apart from that though, the rest of these new details appear to be good news. Especially the download while you play feature, which sounds very convenient. So that's what that extra GB of RAM will be used for.
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH

Postby mqblank » 12 Nov 2012, 20:11

If Page 1 is true and that you cannot play any game of a External memory device then this is a MAJOR mistake by Nintendo. As NintendoLife website says :-
"Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition will be available to download from the eShop in Japan, but it comes with a hefty file size of 16.7 GB" So if you have a Basic model Wii U you cannot even download this game and even if you have Premium it will take up over half of your storage capacity. This must be wrong. I can fill 32GB just thinking about it!
mqblank

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 12 Nov 2012, 20:17

Looks like I'll just be using the eShop for smaller games.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 12 Nov 2012, 20:23

This has to be a mis-translation, I mean that can't be seriously what they're doing. It all sounds ridiculous and confusing.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby nick richardson » 12 Nov 2012, 20:50

The fact is that this is how the wii started, when it first came out you couldnt play games or anything strait off the sc card but then there was an update that let u do it so i wouldnt worry about it, chances are there will be a similar update for the wii u at some point
nick richardson