Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

7 things that would make Smash Bros Wii U beat Brawl

Comment on site articles.

What we want from the next Smash Bros game

So you know what characters we want to see in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, the stages we want to play in but what about the other stuff? What improvements would be like to see made to the game to make Smash Bros 4 the best game in the brilliant brawling series so far? Read on...

... read more

Postby deKay » 13 Nov 2012, 17:28

I preferred Melee to Brawl, so in my opinion, yes - Brawl has already been beaten.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby lminett » 13 Nov 2012, 17:29

So far all the smash bros games have been well made and have improved everytime, im feeling confident that the wii u version should improve on the series again
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Re: 7 things that would make Smash Bros Wii U beat Brawl

Postby shy guy 64 » 13 Nov 2012, 17:40

i'd say more history is a given, and playing as the master hand is just stupid
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Quarg Ranger » 13 Nov 2012, 17:45

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease let the physics engine be more akin to Melee. I understand that it's intended to be a free for everyone to play game, but I played Melee for years and it always seemed fair, despite the ability to go down the 'train hard get better' route.

Huge floatiness just takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Wrathy: Water's not just a drink. I mean, you can't have a bath in lemonade, wash the dishes in sprite or flush the toilet with irn bru.
--
Gallery | RedBubble | Never Forget
--
I used to have an original sig, now I'm just a mod.
Quarg Ranger
ONM Moderator

Postby me4ndubz » 13 Nov 2012, 17:59

this is sakurai we're talking about, of course brawl can be beaten
me4ndubz

Postby Da_Epic_Fail » 13 Nov 2012, 18:19

I love the glitch to play as Master Hand, how the guy found it seven years after Melee launched is amazing. :D All his moves are mapped to the d-pad for some reason.

Pretty much the main thing I feel needs major improvements in the next SB is the online. I remember the error screens as well, and the matches that did work were usually really slow. I love the idea of the creators adding to the trophy descriptions too, would really add a nice personal touch to the game.
Da_Epic_Fail

Postby Argenthor » 13 Nov 2012, 18:29

deKay wrote:I preferred Melee to Brawl, so in my opinion, yes - Brawl has already been beaten.

Boom.
Argenthor

Postby Lew3107 » 13 Nov 2012, 18:31

A character biography section would be amazing for all 35+ characters, listing their appearances, their creation and their future. Transferring characters from the 3DS is a given, and hopefully they have slightly different rosters so we can take full advantage of the feature. Leaderboards and more online/ co-op modes would be cool too, but playing as master hand - and bosses in general - just isn't a good idea.
I think SSB4 should play similarly to Melee, and see some more advanced techniques added back to it (L-cancelling, wave dashing, running evasions, etc.), but have an in-game tutorial for them so that more players can get into the competitive scene. They should also change a few of the character moves to combat spamming; Pit, Bowser, Zelda, Pikachu and DK need some moves to be altered. The clones like Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf & Lucas should to be changed, and clones like Toon Link need to be removed. The characters in the new game need to be more diverse.
Nintendo Network ID: Lew3107
Lew3107

Postby Guybrush20X6 » 13 Nov 2012, 19:29

One thing that could be added is alternate costumes. I wouldn't mind if they were DLC as long as they don't do that on the Disc nonsense that Capcom loves. That way we could have both toon link and young link, Mario and Doctor Mario.
Thanks to LightSamus for the awsome sig.

"Patience is a sharp razor to swallow"
-Sam (Sam & Max: Culture Shock)
Guybrush20X6

Postby thenintendoer » 13 Nov 2012, 19:32

agree that the online needs to be much improved as it was such a disapointment in brawl and proabbaly the only bad thing about it
thenintendoer

Postby LavaTwilight » 13 Nov 2012, 20:13

I prefer Melee to Brawl too, but that said, I think the SSE is an awesome adventure mode, and I sincerely hope they offer a 'sequel' or something for the new SSB game. I don't know about having the bosses as playable characters... maybe a special mode where ONLY the bosses are allowed to be chosen as if to see which one is the most badass, etc. That said, however, I would love for Tabuu to be a playable character, maybe even incorporated into the story. Of course his moves can't all be reproduced if that's going to be the case but then simply making him as a playable fighter, he'd get a new set of moves that would make him 'fair'.

I would like to see a return of the tournament mode from Melee because I loved that! Also keep the 300+ trophies to collect (lets aim for 500+ this time). I didn't like the retro demos, I found them really pointless and felt the space could've been used for MORE trophies :D I also loved the stage editor and felt that more variety and options could be used! Get rid of clone moves and PLEASE no more Link alternatives (ie young link / toon link).
LavaTwilight

Postby snowballx » 13 Nov 2012, 20:26

I would like to say they seriously need to make Shadow the Hedgehog playable. I still don't understand why they didn't?! People have gone as far to actually make Shadow themselves and do methods to put it in their system etc. lmao. I also totally agree about the online situation because that was just tacky!
snowballx

Postby Balderz » 13 Nov 2012, 21:36

snowballx wrote:I would like to say they seriously need to make Shadow the Hedgehog playable. I still don't understand why they didn't?! People have gone as far to actually make Shadow themselves and do methods to put it in their system etc. lmao. I also totally agree about the online situation because that was just tacky!

Not to self-plug or anything, but I did have some ideas for Shadow as playable - posted them on a previous topic here: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co. ... he-roster/ (on the last page of comments).
Balderz

Postby shy guy 64 » 13 Nov 2012, 22:03

snowballx wrote:I would like to say they seriously need to make Shadow the Hedgehog playable. I still don't understand why they didn't?!

because it's it's a nintendo fighting game so there's 2-3 3rd party spots witch the're not going to fill up with sonic characters and therefore even if sonic dose return he'll still be on his own
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Tailzy » 13 Nov 2012, 23:28

Why do you need to say better online 7 times
3ds fc: 0731 5021 3362
Tailzy

Postby K-tet » 14 Nov 2012, 00:14

This article has my name written all over it. Brawl was a poor game compared to Melee, so the next Smash game couldn't possibly get any worse.

To elaborate on each point though:
1. Better online infrastructure is required. They got it right with Uprising, so there's no reason why they can't with the next Smash game. Nintendo Network is clearly a better rubric than Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

2. Co-op play using asymmetric controls or cross-platform integration would certainly open more avenues and enjoyment. Remember, this game's also being developed for the 3DS.

3. Friend Leagues or Communities would seriously improve online structure as each community can have their own divisions. Being able to set rules in these communities like in Mario Kart 7 would also improve online play.

4. If Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate allows you to transfer save data from Wii U to 3DS and vice-versa, any kind of cross-platform feature like that would most certainly be welcome. I believe transferring characters and such would also be a great addition, but what about DLC from Wii U to 3DS? That'd be awesome.

5. Screenshots? Sure, but think beyond that. How about Video Capture? It is possible and given how these can be spread across Miiverse etc would make the social aspect of the game far more prominent. YouTube integration would be a huge benefit (though a pipe dream). You wouldn't have a problem saving the videos as they can be saved on any medium of your choice.

6. Ah history. More would be cool, but less gimmicks (e.g. masterpieces) would be better. After all, the history of these characters is a welcome novelty in itself. Perhaps more minigames that lead to in-game unlockables would fix this.

7. Play as Master Hand? No. There are better characters available from a huge IP roster Nintendo have. Keep the Hands as boss fights where they belong, and throw a more fitting character into the mix.

6/7 isn't bad at all, but the one thing you've missed out on is full DLC. Character Packs, Arena Packs, Music Packs, and Custom Packs would all add-up. Remember, storage space is irrelevant thanks to non-proprietary media options. They can do so much to make this next addition even better than Brawl.
K-tet

Postby MASTER260 » 14 Nov 2012, 03:25

#1 is to be expected mainly because Brawl wasn't even originally supposed to have online & the only reason it ended up in the game was because fans complained so much, which is also the only reason Sonic ended up as a character. Thus, just like Sonic, they crammed it into the game at the last minute. The fact that in SSB4 they probably won't cram it in at the last minute & the fact that Nintendo Network is a million times better than Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, (& is only getting better, what with all the stuff Nintendo Network will have on the Wii U that they'll add to the 3DS via update,) means that you probably shouldn't have much to worry about with SSB4 having better online play. Also, #5 is technically possible, (I've been doing it since shortly after Brawl came out,) if you use this program called, "bin2jpg," which is basically a Brawl screenshot to jpg converter. Then it's just a matter of uploading them to Facebook & Twitter...
MASTER260

Postby Scirm » 14 Nov 2012, 07:57

And the most important thing: Layton as a playable character :D
Scirm

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 14 Nov 2012, 12:12

One new feature I would like to see in Smash Bros. is tag-team fighting. Imagine getting to pair up Samus and DK and switching between them in one fight, capitalising on Samus' ranged attacks and DK's brute strength close-combat. Maybe there can even be special Tag-Team attacks which are unique to each character combination. That'd be really cool, especially when you consider the possibility of Mario launching Sonic as a massive spinning fireball.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby King Slazo » 14 Nov 2012, 12:20

Make it a Melee re-release, that'd be better than Brawl.

Jokes aside, combining and improving upon the revamped single-player Brawl implemented (with no terrible ending) with Melee's gameplay would make for a dang-near unbeatable Smash Bros experience. And making the online function, as you've already stated.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby LavaTwilight » 14 Nov 2012, 17:00

To reply to 2 previous comments, TAG TEAMS? ABSOLUTELY! With them just doing Tekken Tag Team for the WiiU, it seems an obvious choice! Also DLC? For sure! When I first connected SSBB to the internet I was so disappointed that there wasn't any. Also I would really like to see Sonic make a return due to his long-term rivalry with Mario. I'd also like to see PacMan as another iconic 3rd party character (although I probably won't use him that much I'd still like to see him there).
LavaTwilight

Postby VinceLovesToast » 14 Nov 2012, 21:14

Maybe have toon link on 3ds and normal link on wii u and den u cud transfer them
VinceLovesToast

Postby Kieran Drakes » 14 Nov 2012, 23:10

Personally i think online would make it great, especially if they added like a plaza where you meet random people, and battles with like 64 players, it would get annoying, but hilarious
Kieran Drakes

Postby chance7711 » 14 Nov 2012, 23:20

i wanna win a smash borthers on the wii u becuse i love the game and i a big fan
and i love the becuse im a big fan
chance7711

Postby LavaTwilight » 15 Nov 2012, 00:51

Kieran Drakes wrote:Personally i think online would make it great, especially if they added like a plaza where you meet random people, and battles with like 64 players, it would get annoying, but hilarious

YES YES YES OMG YES, online tournaments and everything that would be so awesome!!! :mrgreen:
LavaTwilight

Next