Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

The best Pokemon generation ever

Comment on site articles.

The results are in! What is your favourite Pokemon generation?

Pokemon Black and White 2 were released last month, signing off Generation V in style. But was the fifth generation of Pokemon games the series high point so far? Or did you prefer the older games such as Gold and Silver or even Ruby and Sapphire. We asked you to name your favourite Pokemon generation in a poll a few weeks ago and we now have the results. Here we go!

... read more

The best Pokemon generation ever

Postby Darkblizz » 14 Nov 2012, 17:38

Shame the Johto and Kanto maps are mixed up....
Darkblizz

Re: The best Pokemon generation ever

Postby Magmortar963 » 14 Nov 2012, 18:18

1. Johto
2. Kanto
3. Sinnoh
4. Hoenn
5. Unova
Creator of the infamous Majora's Mak 3D Hoax
Magmortar963

Postby ThePokekid78 » 14 Nov 2012, 18:24

NOOOOO how could Gen 5 beat Gen 3?!?!

Oh well, I'm off to EV train my Milotic for the Battle TOWER in RUBY. Yeah, none of this subway rubbish!!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Argenthor » 14 Nov 2012, 18:31

Darkblizz wrote:Shame the Johto and Kanto maps are mixed up....

Yeh...
Argenthor

Postby Fishman92 » 14 Nov 2012, 18:34

Dudes, you've mixed the Johto and Kanto maps up. How, I have no idea.
Fishmaniacs Network
Fishman92

Postby mushroomchow » 14 Nov 2012, 18:40

While I'd have possibly placed Gen 1 above Gen 3, I feel justice has been done by finally confirming what I've been saying for years - Gen IV is the worst of the lot. :wink:
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 14 Nov 2012, 18:56

I could easily put gen 2 last and put gen 1 first and gen 3 second. There again that's just my opinion
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby CaptainSnivy » 14 Nov 2012, 20:23

1. Gen V
2. Gen IV
3. Gen III
4. Gen I
5. Gen II

In my opinion each generation beats the one before, except Gen II, which somehow managed to be worse than Gen I.
CaptainSnivy

Postby Mew3 » 14 Nov 2012, 20:26

Why is everyone going on about gen 2?! I've played it and i think the newer generations are much better!

1. gen 5 (amazing graphics and gameplay)
2. gen 3 (rayquaza!)
3. gen 4 (my first game and dialga)
4. gen 2
5. gen 1
Mew3

Postby the_yoshimaster » 14 Nov 2012, 20:46

i like them all :D
the_yoshimaster

Postby King Slazo » 14 Nov 2012, 20:47

Crazy people galore here if you think Gen2 wasn't one of the better games. If you think one of the other gens is better, that's fine, but if you think its the worst, then honestly? You're an idiot. Sorry.

But yeah, as I said in the last topic, 99% of fans who've played all five gens will tell you 3 or 4 are the worst. That's not saying either are particularly bad, they just struggle to standup to the peaks hit by Gen2 and 5.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby shy guy 64 » 14 Nov 2012, 20:48

the_yoshimaster wrote:i like them all :D

same
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby silver2010 » 14 Nov 2012, 22:37

I now own atleast 1 game of every gen again and from Xmas I will replay them in order (can't wait!) here's hoping memories of my 1st pokemon (squirtle in blue) or the greatness of crystal will not be ruined by going back to them after the graphics and fluidness of the more recent games.
ADD ME on 3ds: 2277-7889-5743 I am re-collecting pokemon cards after 10-12 years!
silver2010

Postby Kieran Drakes » 14 Nov 2012, 23:06

5 . Johto cause there is nothing special
4 . Unova cause it should be better, i mean, after platinum, you wait and they give you a super simple design
3 . Kanto cause it has an excuse, at the time it was a great game
2 . Sinnoh cause it has a nice layout, just that
1 . Hoenn cause even though I have never completed this region, it was the most challenging, designed best, and just epic
Kieran Drakes

Postby chance7711 » 14 Nov 2012, 23:18

i wanna win a pokemon black and white 2 becuse i a pokemon fan since i was lil
chance7711

Postby blaziken411 » 15 Nov 2012, 01:18

5. johto because it had the <deleted> pokemon
4. kanto because kanto was generally boring
3. sinnoh because it was really good and had the best elite four
2. hoenn because it had the most awesome pokemon
1. unova because it made the biggest evolution from the previous generation
#Ampharoskingofjhoto
My brother made this.
3ds friend code: 4811-7239-6713
Nintendo Network ID : Black-wolf209
Youtube channel: OmegaBlaxel
blaziken411

Postby CaptainSnivy » 15 Nov 2012, 15:13

King Slazo wrote:Crazy people galore here if you think Gen2 wasn't one of the better games. If you think one of the other gens is better, that's fine, but if you think its the worst, then honestly? You're an idiot. Sorry.

But yeah, as I said in the last topic, 99% of fans who've played all five gens will tell you 3 or 4 are the worst. That's not saying either are particularly bad, they just struggle to standup to the peaks hit by Gen2 and 5.

Wait, what? Gen II is definitely the worst generation. The entire generation is just done so shoddily. The level curve is awful, and aside from that just about everything is worse than it was in Gen I, aside from the exp bar underneath the HP one. And "99% of fans who've played all five gens will tell you III and IV are the worst?" No <deleted> way. Gen III and IV beat I and II in so many ways, it's probably about 33% instead. And how dare you compare Gen II to the brilliance that is Gen V.
CaptainSnivy

Postby King Slazo » 15 Nov 2012, 15:48

Firstly, don't swear, if you have to resort to that in an argument you're clearly not doing well.

Secondly, the level curve is setup with the mindset of "there's a second region". While Johto being easier was a downside, that was so the curve could continue into Kanto up to Red. Certainly a better curve than your beloved Gen5 which after the main game dumps you with a 10+ level disadvantage to all the metagame trainers with 60s creatures.

Thirdly, showing the EXP curve was the tip of the iceberg to what Gen2 did. Day / Night? The introduction of Dark and Steel? Splitting the Special Stat? Making types like Bug and Ghost actually useful? Swarms? Rematches? The beginning of the metagame? Letting the player choose if they're a boy or a girl? None of those count? Don't be ridiculous.

Fourthly, you really need to get some perspective. I don't say that "99% yadda" phrase because its my personal opinion, I say it because that's the way it is. You can make arguments for Gen1, 2, 3 or 5 being the best, and that's fine. But there is no argument for Gen2 being the worst because of everything it accomplished and did for the franchise, hence why it won out. And you're more than welcome to go back to the voting topic where most people who named their worst gen had it as 3 or 4. Former because Hoenn is so devisive, latter because it didn't add much, as my quote in the article says.

And finally, "how dare I compare Gen2 to 5"? In an article about comparing the generations? Seriously dude. They both stand waaaay above the others in terms of quality, and I'm damn happy they were the top two in this, because heaven knows they deserve to be.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Tamzily01 » 15 Nov 2012, 16:05

I don't like getting mixed up in these Gen Wars. All of them have their own highs and lows. However, I will say that Gen 1 isn't my personal favourite. Sure, it started everything off, but other than that, there wasn't much to it until the Gen 3 remakes. And please, don't get me any more involved than I already am.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby Pyron12 » 15 Nov 2012, 17:28

King Slazo wrote:Crazy people galore here if you think Gen2 wasn't one of the better games. If you think one of the other gens is better, that's fine, but if you think its the worst, then honestly? You're an idiot. Sorry.

True for generation 4 but gen 3? No way! It made a bigger impact than generation 5 ever did. Lets see what did gen 3 introduce? OH I KNOW! Double battles, natures, abilities, the best roster of pokemon introduced, the battle frontier, the start of several great spin-offs (dungeon and ranger) and plenty more. in 3rd place? no way but I can tolerate second.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby BIGBUTTER » 15 Nov 2012, 18:36

No matter what...Pokemon Snap was the best Pokemon game of all time
BIGBUTTER