Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U eShop prices confirmed, indie devs set their own price

Comment on site articles.

You can pay as little as $9.99 to download a game

Trine 2 is the most expensive Wii U eShop launch game in America. Wii U eShop game prices range from $9.99 to $19.99 but according to Trine 2 devs Frozenbyte, indie studios now have the power to set their own prices.

... read more

Wii U eShop prices confirmed, indie devs set their own price

Postby MJTH » 19 Nov 2012, 11:52

I hope this also means that publishers and regular developers can also set when they want to put sale prices on full retail games as well. I'm already bursting the bank with just from the few launch title games I've pre-ordered with the Wii U, but there is is still stuff on that list (well more specifically one game) that whilst I can't afford now, if it went on sale some time next year I'd totally download.
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH

Re: Wii U eShop prices confirmed, indie devs set their own p

Postby K-tet » 19 Nov 2012, 12:42

This is a step in the right direction. By giving control to the developers to price their own software for Wii U, it promotes that side of the eShop to fledgling/future potential Indie developers, making it sustainable for them in the long run. Bundle that with the Unity engine that's made available to every SDK Nintendo distribute to all party developers (including University game studios), and you've got a user-friendly system with plenty of potential just through its control mediums alone (and that's not factoring in the raw power of the system), that the only limit is the imagination of the developers.

If the eShop rubric eventually turns out to be similar to what Steam is, then Nintendo will have at last learnt how to cater to the gaming consumer as well as the developing consumer. I'm all for it.
K-tet

Postby LavaTwilight » 19 Nov 2012, 15:00

If those prices are converted to the UK prices as is (IE Trine 2 will be about £13 and Little Inferno is about £9.50) then they I'll be buying them on day 1! And don't forget we'll get 10% back if we buy the deluxe :D
LavaTwilight

Postby KKNinty347 » 19 Nov 2012, 16:47

I think the Wii U eShop will be something special after launch. Let's hope to see more support!
Favourite 3DS game: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Favourite Wii game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Favourite DS game: Super Mario 64 DS
Most anticipated game: New Super Mario Bros. U
3DS FC: 4253-3472-0892
My website: www.ksnewsandreviews.blogspot.co.uk
KKNinty347

Postby Zing06 » 19 Nov 2012, 18:57

it's good to see that 3rd party retail games are already available to download
Zing06

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 20 Nov 2012, 11:40

This sounds great. Hopefully this will convice more independant developers to release their games on eShop.
Also, I'm looking foward to finding out what the UK prices will be.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Alex Cook » 20 Nov 2012, 17:44

I would be happy if it was put into pounds directly because that means u can download games cheaper than you can get them of amazon :D
Alex Cook

Postby Wii U Gamer » 21 Nov 2012, 20:05

$9.00 minium $60+max well if i convert it to € & £ well that is quite expencive :( :? :cry: :cry: :cry: :x
name:WiiU Gamer(colin)
3dsFriendCode:2621-3945-0343
WiiFriendCode:7094-8986-3424-1530
MarioKartWiiFriendCode:3397-1086-5618
pm me if you add me please please add me i go on letter box a lot and mk7 online & mk wii online
Wii U Gamer

Postby GuitarHero » 21 Nov 2012, 20:10

As long as they have sales, it all sounds good.
GuitarHero

Postby smash-brother » 25 Nov 2012, 19:15

that,s all well and good but, what are they in our (uk) munny (lol kh references :lol: )
Jack, I'm only an elected official, i can't make decisions by myself
smash-brother