Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New-look Official Nintendo Magazine incoming!

Comment on site articles.

Get your Wii U launch edition today!

The Wii U launch issue of the Official Nintendo Magazine is on sale now, and it boasts an all-new look.

... read more

New-look Official Nintendo Magazine incoming!

Postby tohaker » 20 Nov 2012, 17:30

The last refresh was for the launch of the 3DS I think? Bit too soon for this one I think - I'm only just getting used to the new (old) look :/ But it's good to see some thought is actually going into the magazines.
tohaker

Re: New-look Official Nintendo Magazine incoming!

Postby alexjones94 » 20 Nov 2012, 17:51

I've been a subscriber for 5 or so years now. I can honestly say that with the new team and this re-design, the magazine is - in my opinion - the finest it's ever been. Packed with well written, funny, informative content, I can't recommend this issue highly enough. The re-design itself is sleek and professional, and gives the writers more words to play with; their creativity flourishes under this new space and the community features look like they're going to shape up to be brilliant over the coming months. Another subscription is already on my list for Mr. Claus.

Why are you even reading my ramblings instead of heading to the shops for a copy of ONM? :lol:
alexjones94

Postby ninja tanooki » 20 Nov 2012, 17:53

I actually got this a week ago.
ninja tanooki

Postby inuyashaDS » 20 Nov 2012, 17:56

I must have those coasters!

thxs to bradders543 the sig!

http://www.firebox.com/product/5413/Gamer-Soaps :)
Come join my mario kart 7 racing comunities
Racing nerds - 55-6413-0547-0471
Lucky*star cup - 20--1047-4313-6092
inuyashaDS

Postby shadowlugia101 » 20 Nov 2012, 17:57

i look forward to getting this, the cover doesn't seem as exciting as in past issues. but hopefully that will change
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby ledreppe » 20 Nov 2012, 18:03

I was underwhelmed when I first saw the new look. It's basically been frigged around the edges and not changed enough. There's still too much news that's out of date by the time it goes to print (seen it on independednt websites weeks before). The Wii U features are next to useless, it even repeated the information about what's in the Wii U box from the last issue! Then there's the faq's about the Wii U, talking about how to connect a Wii U to a t.v, I mean seriously who needs this pointless info? The games guide at the back will just be repeated or rehashed every month, I don't read these guides, I don't need them and it's a waste of magazine page space. There's just too much that I already know that makes it's way into the magazine, and the rest is useless to me. A proper redesign is needed.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby HyrulianToad » 20 Nov 2012, 18:28

Some of the best reviews I have ever read , ZombiU and NSMBU especially . Love the new design , it gives a more professional feel, and I think lowering the scores is a good move.If I'm being honest I haven't quite enjoyed ONM as much as I normally do lately , but this mag completely blew my mind. Brilliant! :P
HyrulianToad

Postby thecoolmana777 » 20 Nov 2012, 18:38

I must buy more tea so I can put those coasters to good use! :)
Have an awesome day :D
3DS FC- 3394-3533-6027, NNID-Thecoolmana777 PM me
thecoolmana777

Postby MatthewONM » 20 Nov 2012, 18:42

ledreppe wrote:The games guide at the back will just be repeated or rehashed every month, I don't read these guides, I don't need them and it's a waste of magazine page space. There's just too much that I already know that makes it's way into the magazine, and the rest is useless to me. A proper redesign is needed.

What a laughable remark. We welcome constructive criticism, but criticising the mag for a feature you *imagine* might appear in the future is nothing short of ludicrous. When it comes to posting, a proper brain is needed.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby ThePokekid78 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:38

I've had my issue a week now and I was never aware that subscribers got their copy so far in advance!

Not a huge fan of the new design if I'm honest (I feel as though the different sections aren't distinct enough) but I guess it's a case of getting used to it...

And the coasters are honestly your worst free gift yet...

But, though I hate to say anything positive, I do like your new style of reviews, as well as the slightly harsher scores you awarded - harsher is better!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Tams » 20 Nov 2012, 19:39

I can't tell that much of a difference, but then again I'm not a regular reader. As long as the content remains good and it continues to look sleek, yet colourful, I don't mind.

ledreppe wrote:I was underwhelmed when I first saw the new look. It's basically been frigged around the edges and not changed enough. There's still too much news that's out of date by the time it goes to print (seen it on independednt websites weeks before). The Wii U features are next to useless, it even repeated the information about what's in the Wii U box from the last issue! Then there's the faq's about the Wii U, talking about how to connect a Wii U to a t.v, I mean seriously who needs this pointless info? The games guide at the back will just be repeated or rehashed every month, I don't read these guides, I don't need them and it's a waste of magazine page space. There's just too much that I already know that makes it's way into the magazine, and the rest is useless to me. A proper redesign is needed.

If you read gaming news sites, then what else do you expect?! Magazines as a format clearly aren't for you. They cater to people who don't keep up with gaming news and who want something edited for them, so they have something concise to read (yes, you can search a website rather easily, but it is still a chore). They are also for people who like something very well thought out and organised, yet not generic (like many online articles look).

I agree with stuff like 'how to connect a WiiU to a T.V.' being a bit of a waste of space, but there are younger people who read this magazine for whom it may be useful.

Anyway, the new format has more community stuff.

At the end of the day, take it or leave it.
Tams

Postby wilrc6 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:50

Over the last year or so the quality of the paper used for the pages has deteriorated and this new look issue is even worse. The pages all crinkle up and curl just by flicking through for the first time. The magazine then looks like it has gotten wet and dried out. I was comparing the new look magazine with Issue 1 and I actually prefer the fresh look of that. :-(
Currently Playing:
LEGO Lord of the Rings (XBox360)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
LEGO Indiana Jones (DS)
Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Looney Tunes ACME Arsenal (XBox360)
wilrc6

Postby zappy27 » 20 Nov 2012, 21:04

I am a subscriber and i am still waiting. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
zappy27

Postby Mr Roboto » 20 Nov 2012, 21:19

If the new look is more adult looking I will be happy.
Mr Roboto

Postby NintendoForLife » 20 Nov 2012, 21:24

tohaker wrote:The last refresh was for the launch of the 3DS I think? Bit too soon for this one I think - I'm only just getting used to the new (old) look :/ But it's good to see some thought is actually going into the magazines.

No, I think they only changed the colour of the band at the top then. This is the first redesign since 2007. There are always minor changes but this is the only BIG one since then. :D
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby Buffoonary » 20 Nov 2012, 21:36

I've had my issue for a few days now, and I'm really liking the new design. It feels like there's so much more content packed in, as well as it being presented much clearer way. The more critical reviews, as with what seems slightly trivial but honestly helpful award system, are quite refreshing to see.

Good work, guys!
Username is obviously not just a word with a letter changed. Original, right?
Buffoonary

Postby shy guy 64 » 20 Nov 2012, 22:22

chandra's pose on the subscription page wierds me out

no offence
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby mattym727 » 20 Nov 2012, 23:11

ledreppe wrote:I was underwhelmed when I first saw the new look. It's basically been frigged around the edges and not changed enough. There's still too much news that's out of date by the time it goes to print (seen it on independednt websites weeks before). The Wii U features are next to useless, it even repeated the information about what's in the Wii U box from the last issue! Then there's the faq's about the Wii U, talking about how to connect a Wii U to a t.v, I mean seriously who needs this pointless info? The games guide at the back will just be repeated or rehashed every month, I don't read these guides, I don't need them and it's a waste of magazine page space. There's just too much that I already know that makes it's way into the magazine, and the rest is useless to me. A proper redesign is needed.

Everything you've said there is very arrogant,and you haven't considered the general audience who may need all this,and arent as much as a die hard gamer as you are.As someone previously mentioned,the magazine format is NOT for you.
3DS FRIEND CODE: 2449-4608-8574
NNID: mattym727
ADD ME
PLAYING:
Injustice, Mario Kart 8, Arkham City Armoured Editon (Wii U)
TLOZ:ALBW (3DS)
mattym727

Postby Hylian_hi_ho » 20 Nov 2012, 23:40

Pleased to see a new design on the spine too. If I'm right it's a Wii U.
Hylian_hi_ho

Postby Lego master » 21 Nov 2012, 08:16

ThePokekid78 wrote:I've had my issue a week now and I was never aware that subscribers got their copy so far in advance!

Not a huge fan of the new design if I'm honest (I feel as though the different sections aren't distinct enough) but I guess it's a case of getting used to it...

But, though I hate to say anything positive, I do like your new style of reviews, as well as the slightly harsher scores you awarded - harsher is better!

What do you mean the worst gift yet? I#ts finally something that's not a poster or a diorama which I'm rubbish at putting up!
Lego master

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 21 Nov 2012, 09:04

I must say, those responsible for the redesign have done an excellent job on this one. It's new and snazzy whilst also remaining familiar. Well done to everyone involved.
I like how the Connect section has been rebranded "MiiVerse", and I'm very proud to have my words printed in it's inaugural issue.

Mr Roboto wrote:If the new look is more adult looking I will be happy.

I would say it was certainly more mature looking in it's presentation, whilst still using a healthy dose of primary colours (blue and yellow to tie-in with the Wii U game packaging banner), at it features several uses of Serif fonts. If that isn't adult enough, I don't know what is.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 21 Nov 2012, 12:26

I'll be picking up a copy sometime this week.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby nintenu » 21 Nov 2012, 14:21

Think I’ve only bought about 2 issues since future took over, issue 1 put me off …which I still have, and it's in very good condition ...so if anyone is ...running short on toilet paper, hit me up!

...those coasters, they do look nice!!

I'm sold ...FREE coasters!!!
:D
NintenU One Game at a Time!
Be a part of it ...Join the Staff!
nintenu

Postby ThePokekid78 » 21 Nov 2012, 17:32

Lego master wrote:
ThePokekid78 wrote:I've had my issue a week now and I was never aware that subscribers got their copy so far in advance!

What do you mean the worst gift yet? I#ts finally something that's not a poster or a diorama which I'm rubbish at putting up!

Don't worry, they're only slightly worse than the dioramas - they all instantly went in the bin, but some of the posters are pretty cool!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby barriboy » 21 Nov 2012, 18:37

Think this is the best design since Future took it over for me. Think it's gone a bit the way NGamer went at the end and that was the best design for me. Liked the coasters as I'm not impressed with all those posters and decals.
barriboy

Next