Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U Premium Pack - Nintendo reveal how much money you will

Comment on site articles.

You need 500 Points for an Activation code

The Wii U Premium Pack may cost more than a Basic Pack but as well as having a bigger hard drive, it will also save you money on downloading games. Now Nintendo UK has detailed how you will save money on your downloads.

... read more

Postby skyluigi » 20 Nov 2012, 18:32

So for every £62 or so you spend, you get £5 back?
Well, I'd say, that's not excellent, but it's not bad either. Better than I was expecting, to be honest.
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

Postby lminett » 20 Nov 2012, 18:34

Would have been nice if it was a 10% off deal really, but never mind
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby Tams » 20 Nov 2012, 18:35

I'm not sure I like these rewards just for downloaded content. I much prefer to have the discs and boxes.

Then again, I'm not sure whether you can get Stars for downloaded content, so it might work out OK. I still wish if you bought a game you could get both (like you can with some films and books).
Tams

Postby Chewie » 20 Nov 2012, 18:36

So, instead off 10% off each purchase we make, we have to spend £63 to get a fiver off? I assume I've gone wrong in my calculations somewhere, someone please tell me I'm wrong.
Edit* Nope, other people above have got similar. Not good enough Nintendo.

Also, I suppose it's personal preference, but I'd much prefer to have 10% off each individual purchase than wait until I've gained enough points. It's an entirely unnecessary system, just give us the 10% off.
Last edited by Chewie on 20 Nov 2012, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
3DS friend code: 3394-3537-0725
Chewie

Re: Wii U Premium Pack - Nintendo reveal how much money you

Postby lui_gui » 20 Nov 2012, 18:38

How could anyone think this is a good way of doing this.
lui_gui

Postby thecoolmana777 » 20 Nov 2012, 18:53

Not happy with Nintendo for doing this, why can't it just be a simple discount!
Who wants to go through the lengthy process of collecting an activation code and then entering it to get your money off
Have an awesome day :D
3DS FC- 3394-3533-6027, NNID-Thecoolmana777 PM me
thecoolmana777

Postby ledreppe » 20 Nov 2012, 18:58

I can live with having to wait until I've spent £62.50 to get £5 back, but what I wont be able to live with is higher prices for digital distributed games over boxed version. Just look at the 3DS, and the shambles Nintendo have made of the pricing for full downloadable retail games, often £10 dearer! I want to go all digital with the Wii U, but Nintendo could make it very difficult for me to do so. C'mon Nintendo pull your finger out your ar*e and do this digital platform the way it should be done.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby Argenthor » 20 Nov 2012, 19:12

Chewie wrote:So, instead off 10% off each purchase we make, we have to spend £63 to get a fiver off? I assume I've gone wrong in my calculations somewhere, someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Also, I suppose it's personal preference, but I'd much prefer to have 10% off each individual purchase than wait until I've gained enough points. It's an entirely unnecessary system, just give us the 10% off.

Yes, I thought that was what had been advertised?
Argenthor

Postby JamieRIOT » 20 Nov 2012, 19:30

Considering in places like GAME, you have to spend £100 to gain £2.50, it really isn't bad. Feel lucky that you actually get rewarded at all for buying content from them!
JamieRIOT

Postby thenintendoer » 20 Nov 2012, 19:41

not too bad but i wont bother if they dont reduce the price of games over time nsmb2 is £40 on the eshop but elsewhere in stores its lower than £25 so i dont download these games striaght from the shop
thenintendoer

Postby ThePokekid78 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:47

Ah, Nintendo...I love you so, but you do get the simplest things wrong!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby MJTH » 20 Nov 2012, 19:48

Whilst the deal may sound disappointing at first, when you compare it to the xbox 360 where they've only just made a 2% deal on downloads, or PSN+ which is a great service, but in the end you're just paying for discounts on newer games, this is pretty good.
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH

Postby Riverlution » 20 Nov 2012, 19:49

I thought they were promising 10% off everything. I don't mind having to redeem it with this silly system, but I could swear that they've lied to us.
Riverlution

Postby Pichu10585 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:51

Chewie wrote:So, instead off 10% off each purchase we make, we have to spend £63 to get a fiver off? I assume I've gone wrong in my calculations somewhere, someone please tell me I'm wrong.

The idea is so that Nintendo know that they have your custom before giving the discount. It is just a better business model, really.

And, for goodness sake, why is everyone complaining? At least they are giving you a discount at all!
I agree with the person above me. Not literally above me.

Operation Moonfall. You know it makes sense.

¬_¬
Pichu10585

Postby Mr of Spain » 20 Nov 2012, 19:58

Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

Nintendo dont have to give its customers anything off. Most other companies dont. A|so, it wasn't that long ago that Decent Nintendo games used to be £40.00 in the shops. Then the high street (Game, HMV etc) started lowering the RRP. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the UK's desperate desire to compete to the point where business' are going bust as opossed to the programmers whose hard work deserves its reward...Its not like you dont have the choice to buy or download is it :evil:
Mr of Spain

Postby Greene-Stuff » 20 Nov 2012, 20:13

Even though we'd have to spend 60-something quid to get a fiver off, it's better than getting the basic pack and having to pay 60-something quid and get no money off, right?
Nintendo Network ID : TheChubbyLad
If you follow me on MiiVerse, I'll follow you back!
3DS Friend Code: 2793 - 0583 - 4285
Greene-Stuff

Postby adamatsu » 20 Nov 2012, 20:38

does anyone know how much super mario bros wii u is going to cost to download? thanks
adamatsu

Postby Kieran Drakes » 20 Nov 2012, 20:53

What we have got to remember is that downloading is only for people who want the game immediately, personally i prefer the ability to open a box and take the game out and put it in my console, but i think seeing a silly download screen just annoys me, it is like teasing you, watching it go up slowly. :oops:
Kieran Drakes

Postby Chewie » 20 Nov 2012, 21:54

[quote="Pichu10585"][quote="Chewie"]So, instead off 10% off each purchase we make, we have to spend £63 to get a fiver off? I assume I've gone wrong in my calculations somewhere, someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Also, I suppose it's personal preference, but I'd much prefer to have 10% off each individual purchase than wait until I've gained enough points. It's an entirely unnecessary system, just give us the 10% off.[/quote]
The idea is so that Nintendo know that they have your custom before giving the discount. It is just a better business model, really.

And, for goodness sake, why is everyone complaining? At least they are giving you a discount at all![/quote]

We paid the extra £50 for not only for Nintendo Land (which when bought separately with a basic model is cheaper than the deluxe), but the premium discount and the extra memory required to download these games. The deluxe model is surely aimed at those who intend to use the Wii U shop? Nintendo are aware of how much our retailers are charging for their product, they are surely aware that buying Nintendo Land and the Basic model is cheaper than buying the Deluxe model. It is fair to assume therefore that, given Nintendo are an incredibly successful business, are aware that a large percentage of those who buy the deluxe model will be paying extra for the online benefits, and would assume you are going spend money on the Wii U shop.

But all that is irrelevant, when considered that if someone doesn't use the 10% discount at all, neither the developers or Nintendo are impacted by the discount, giving them no reason (that we're aware of) to not have the 10% off. We're complaining because we were told we were getting a 10% discount, and instead we get a point system that requires us to spend £63 before we save anything at all. What if I was only interested in Trine 2? No discount.
3DS friend code: 3394-3537-0725
Chewie

Postby Mmmyeah » 20 Nov 2012, 22:04

Mr of Spain wrote:Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

Nintendo dont have to give its customers anything off. Most other companies dont. A|so, it wasn't that long ago that Decent Nintendo games used to be £40.00 in the shops. Then the high street (Game, HMV etc) started lowering the RRP. So if you want to blame anyone, blame the UK's desperate desire to compete to the point where business' are going bust as opossed to the programmers whose hard work deserves its reward...Its not like you dont have the choice to buy or download is it :evil:

Actually they do have to give money off when they have promised that that is what you will get when you buy the premium package. Put it this way, Nintendo told us that if we buy the premium package part of the deal is a rewards system. It wouldn't be fair for them to then take that back. People are annoyed because they expected something better, particularly if they have preordered expecting 10% off.

Personally though I'm not fussed! I would have got the premium package for the extra memory and zombiu among the other bonuses anyway, without the money back. I must admit the deal isn't quite as good as I hoped, but its still nice. I can see myself in the future having downloaded loads of stuff and being pleasantly surprised to find that Nintendo are giving me a bit of money back to buy more games with!
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby awesomejimmie » 20 Nov 2012, 22:51

Mmmyeah wrote:
Mr of Spain wrote:Seriously! stop moaning! :evil:

Actually they do have to give money off when they have promised that that is what you will get when you buy the premium package. Put it this way, Nintendo told us that if we buy the premium package part of the deal is a rewards system. It wouldn't be fair for them to then take that back. People are annoyed because they expected something better, particularly if they have preordered expecting 10% off.

Personally though I'm not fussed! I would have got the premium package for the extra memory and zombiu among the other bonuses anyway, without the money back. I must admit the deal isn't quite as good as I hoped, but its still nice. I can see myself in the future having downloaded loads of stuff and being pleasantly surprised to find that Nintendo are giving me a bit of money back to buy more games with!

They have never promised the UK market 10% off, they promised it to the US, and the US have the exact same system as we will have, when you spend $50 you get $5 back, now with conversion rates it makes our offer about the same, so be glad where getting it! Unlike the TVii service which we don't get :(
awesomejimmie

Postby Lew3107 » 20 Nov 2012, 22:58

Some of you people are insatiable. Seriously.
You're getting a discount. Where's the negative? I've been buying downloadable games on 360 for years with no sort of incentive. Now, we're getting a £5 discount for pretty much every 4/5 games you buy. I don't understand the moaning. I was going to buy indie games anyway, discount or not. This is just a bonus. We're not entitled to a discount, so I have no clue why so many people here are acting like we're having our human rights breached. They never fully explained the reward system, so thinking that you got 10% off of every purchase was just your assumption.
There's nothing wrong with this system, I'm just grateful that we're getting something.
Nintendo Network ID: Lew3107
Lew3107

Postby sambrown64 » 20 Nov 2012, 23:19

This is the first Nintendo console that I'm not interested in. Although I really want NSMB U, I think I'll hold off until the game line-up has more to offer; ideally the next 3D Mario/Galaxy 3.
3652-0543-1657
sambrown64

Postby K-tet » 21 Nov 2012, 00:50

From a business sense, it's an interesting incentive. You get 8 points for each £1 you spend. Do the maths here, if I spend £50 on a game via eShop, I get 8 x 50 = 400 points. So that's £62.50 for 500 points, and a fiver off. It's not exactly 10% (as that would be £6.25), but you know something, 8% it's actually not that bad of a deal. Basic mathematics can really help you out here.

In any sense, spend big to get money off early, or spend incrementally to accumulate the points in the long-term. In any case, you can do this as many times as you want up until the end of 2014. The fact that if you buy a £50 game, you're getting 80% of the total amount of redeemable points right off of the mark isn't a good enough incentive to give it a go, then I don't know what is.

However, digital downloads will be too expensive to warrant people parting with their money, and until the NN accounts work similar to how Steam etc work, I'd feel rather anxious over investing so much cash into a system where my purchases evaporate if my Wii U breaks and it gets lost in the post on the way to Nintendo for repair or so. Nintendo may well work this system better in the future, but for now, it's a risk thinking about it from that perspective.

Nintendo need to get this right in the end, otherwise it's not worth doing. Yes we're all critical of Nintendo, but for very good reasons. We want them to succeed, and the only way to do so is for them to set their standards to as close to perfection as possible.
K-tet

Postby CraigEmberson » 21 Nov 2012, 01:45

Basically, if you download a game thats £39.99 - you get 8 points per £1, which equals over 300 points. Download 2 titles of that price and you'll have over 600 points.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Next