Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Why 70% is a good review score

Comment on site articles.

New-look ONM has a new scoring system

If I received 70% in an exam at school I would have been awarded an A (these were the days before A stars. I'll get my walking stick). I would have been dancing down the pedestrianised streets of Norwich city centre. In fact, I might have done a little jig on the roof of the castle had I got 60%. To tell you the truth, I got a 2:2 at university which means all my hard work amounted to a score between 50 and 59%. I was quite happy with that.

... read more

Postby jimbob555 » 21 Nov 2012, 15:01

"70-29% Bronze"

Quick edit needed there. :P

Seems like a good idea.

Sigh.
jimbob555

Postby toffeeman30 » 21 Nov 2012, 15:03

90-100 is a masterpiece of a game. i remember buying mean machines and they gave super kick off 96% for the master system. im still shocked till this day
toffeeman30

Re: Why 70% is a good review score

Postby Slinkington » 21 Nov 2012, 15:06

I've always thought of a 70% as a good score. I mean why isn't it? It's only a few from the top.

People have varying opinions on this. I see anything below 50% as "not good". 60% is playable but with a few flaws, 70% and above is an enjoyable experience.

90%-100% should be reserved for SPECTACULAR games. Only the best should be awarded such a score. Too many sites are way too lenient on this now.
Last edited by Slinkington on 21 Nov 2012, 15:08, edited 3 times in total.
Slinkington

Postby Targey » 21 Nov 2012, 15:06

toffeeman30 wrote:90-100 is a masterpiece of a game. i remember buying mean machines and they gave super kick off 96% for the master system. im still shocked till this day

Didn't NOM give Donkey Kong Country 3 98%, which is the highest score they ever gave a game? I remember them mentioning it in a feature on Twilight Princess.
Targey

Postby reeesy » 21 Nov 2012, 15:24

I've never really understood why people feel the need to attack other peoples review scores. I'v been playing games since the late 80s, and i'm more than confident in my own opinion on what makes a good game. I only really look at review scores as a general guide, and I usually know whether i'm going to buy a game or not before I read the reviews. Unless a review points out serious flaws, I'm more than happy making up my own mind. Some of my most memorable gaming moments have been from games that weren't particularly well reviewed at the time.
At the end of the day a review is merely one persons opinion - thats why they differ from review to review. They're there to give you a idea of what to expect. If its a good review it will give you all the facts, good and bad. And from that you should be able to make your own mind up whether its worthy of your money.
reeesy

Postby BlockPunch » 21 Nov 2012, 15:27

Typo: 70-29%

Should be: 70-79%

B-
Try better next time.
:wink:
BlockPunch

Postby danbish » 21 Nov 2012, 15:34

I hoped you'd get rid of percentages score completely and just mark them out of 10, was a bit disppointed when I read your new mag at the weekend and found percentages still there. I don't see why people bicker over a review score, and I think its rather pointless too, by just a few percent, "71%? It deserves at least a 76%!" but I know that they'd bicker all the same with a 7/10 saying it should be 8/10 etc.

Also, whats the difference, and how do you decide on a number like 71% or 77% instead of a whole 7? It's still an overall mark of 7 (I see 73's etc as a whole 7/10), just seems a bit like random guessing to me.
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby IPecksU » 21 Nov 2012, 15:41

*salutes*
IPecksU

Postby MatthewONM » 21 Nov 2012, 15:47

danbish wrote:Also, whats the difference, and how do you decide on a number like 71% or 77% instead of a whole 7? It's still an overall mark of 7 (I see 73's etc as a whole 7/10), just seems a bit like random guessing to me.

There's no right or wrong system, and it's largely down to personal taste. Personally, I've always liked using percentages as more of a ranking system. Dragon Quest V is a little bit better than Dragon Quest IV, and can be reflected in a few extra points. Of course, that only holds up if you mark consistently, which is down to the editorial team. Fingers crossed, eh?
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby danbish » 21 Nov 2012, 15:52

MatthewONM wrote:
danbish wrote:Also, whats the difference, and how do you decide on a number like 71% or 77% instead of a whole 7? It's still an overall mark of 7 (I see 73's etc as a whole 7/10), just seems a bit like random guessing to me.

There's no right or wrong system, and it's largely down to personal taste. Personally, I've always liked using percentages as more of a ranking system. Dragon Quest V is a little bit better than Dragon Quest IV, and can be reflected in a few extra points. Of course, that only holds up if you mark consistently, which is down to the editorial team. Fingers crossed, eh?

Indeed. Thanks for the answer!
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby GreatGonzalesJr. » 21 Nov 2012, 16:08

I've always found 70% to be a good score. For me, I will definitely buy a game if it gets 85% or more and look at gameplay videos if it gets 70% - 84%

Never once have I thought "That game got only 72%, therefore it's a terrible game that makes Ninjabread Man look good".
GreatGonzalesJr.

Postby Devilmancheese » 21 Nov 2012, 16:25

I still think the "not worth stealing" should be used for 0 to 29%
Devilmancheese

Postby K-tet » 21 Nov 2012, 16:42

70% is a decent review score, and nothing more than decent. Stretching into the 'good' territory would be 75% at the least (while many would opt for 80%). Bronze being 70-79% however is worth it, but 98%+ (in other words, as close to near-perfection as can be, then near-perfection. ending with perfection) deserves its own wing. I'd suggest a Platinum Award for those.

For me, if I rate a game 30/40 or higher, it's a title I'd recommend to others. I prefer the Famitsu scoring system myself (but rather than four individual reviews, each of the main core components (Gameplay, Audio, Graphics and Longevity) are marked out of 10). Each to their own of course.
K-tet

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 21 Nov 2012, 16:49

I like the new system, but the actual logo for the awards should be taken back to the previous one. The new ones dont look like 'awards', they look way too basic! :|
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Pyron12 » 21 Nov 2012, 17:16

Slinkington wrote:I've always thought of a 70% as a good score. I mean why isn't it? It's only a few from the top.

People have varying opinions on this. I see anything below 50% as "not good". 60% is playable but with a few flaws, 70% and above is an enjoyable experience.

90%-100% should be reserved for SPECTACULAR games. Only the best should be awarded such a score. Too many sites are way too lenient on this now.

I do the same thing. But there was one time when I bought a Wii game (Rampage TD) and it was a couple of years before I found out it got 20%. Imagine my embarrassment. :oops: :roll:
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby mushroomchow » 21 Nov 2012, 17:40

Excellent. This brings me back to the laughs I used to have reading the parts of the magazine where readers "disagreed" with your scores, along the lines of "POKEMON ORANGE EDITION ONLY GOT 91%? WHAT THE HELL ONM? IT SOOO DESERVED 93%!"

Fact is, the people who rely on scored reviews to buy their games genuinely do need the system spoonfed to them to understand that there's no shame in buying a game that doesn't get a near-perfect score. Excellent job, ONM Towers!
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby masamune » 21 Nov 2012, 17:42

this also applies to onm
masamune

Postby thenintendoer » 21 Nov 2012, 19:29

good idea im always discouraged from buying anything less than 80% even though i know a 7/10 and to some extents 6/10 is a good score
thenintendoer

Postby jaco_p » 21 Nov 2012, 19:35

Edge only gave zombiu a 7. Does that mean i won't buy it?? hell no!! even 60% is good if you're a fan of that particular genre, and anyway, a review is only the point of view of ONE PERSON. Or maybe a couple, im not sure. Thing is, it's a guide, not the gospel truth, and as someone who has their own personality and unique point of view, you may disagree!! Shock!! Horror!!
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby jaco_p » 21 Nov 2012, 19:38

Devilmancheese wrote:I still think the "not worth stealing" should be used for 0 to 29%

Verry nice. I also like "You couldn't pay me to play it!!(again, 'coz i already reviewed it hmmph)"
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby Argenthor » 21 Nov 2012, 19:45

Targey wrote:
toffeeman30 wrote:90-100 is a masterpiece of a game. i remember buying mean machines and they gave super kick off 96% for the master system. im still shocked till this day

Didn't NOM give Donkey Kong Country 3 98%, which is the highest score they ever gave a game? I remember them mentioning it in a feature on Twilight Princess.

I remember NOM.... *memories*

The problem with trying to get people to understand that 70% is a good score is that it has to be encouraged universally. Places like metacritic don't show individual differences when it comes to scores and so people may be put off by a lower score.
Argenthor

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 21 Nov 2012, 20:09

I hope that the ONM review scores aren't going to be much more lower than before because of this.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby jawafour » 21 Nov 2012, 20:24

Fully justified; the Master System version of Kick Off was superb! Far better then the awful Megadrive version... :-)
jawafour

Postby jawafour » 21 Nov 2012, 20:30

A good stance from the ONM team. The "assessment" of videgames is rapidly losing credit; online sites are more concerned with getting their review of a game out first rather than offering anything approaching insight. Equally, most game fans who look online for reviews seem more concerned that a review matches their expectation rather than actually learning something about the game.

70% should be "pretty good"; while anything in the 90% plus area should be exceptional. Well played, ONM.
jawafour

Postby Mr Roboto » 21 Nov 2012, 21:14

Not bad but I would prefer out of 10 for review scores.
Mr Roboto

Next