Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Virtue's Last Reward review

Comment on site articles.

The best game you'll read all year

A ringmaster, belly dancer and geriatric wake up in a locked room. Sounds like a bad joke, but this is no laughing matter. Turns out they're contestants in a game of survival, a curious blend of Saw's murderous machinations and Golden Balls' trust exercises.

... read more

Virtue's Last Reward review

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 22 Nov 2012, 14:07

I tried the demo last week,and I was pretty impressed,so I might just go for it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Re: Virtue's Last Reward review

Postby toffeeman30 » 22 Nov 2012, 14:19

sequel to 999. looks agood game, shame mainstream gamers will give it a miss
toffeeman30

Postby Aboyandhissequel » 22 Nov 2012, 14:22

Reviewed by someone who clearly never played the first game in the series, there was no reference to it at all.

Would be really nice if ONM didn't only review games that were sent to them from publishers, as the first (equally excellent) title clearly wasn't.
As soon as there is a new Boy and His Blob game, for Wii U, 3DS or future Nintendo platform; I can delete this account and make a new one with a better name.

Make it happen Nintendo.
Aboyandhissequel

Postby MatthewONM » 22 Nov 2012, 14:28

Aboyandhissequel wrote:Reviewed by someone who clearly never played the first game in the series, there was no reference to it at all.

Would be really nice if ONM didn't only review games that were sent to them from publishers, as the first (equally excellent) title clearly wasn't.

For your information, I did play the first game. In fact, I reviewed it for NGamer. I didn't talk about the game in the review because it was never released in the UK and ONM does not cover the import scene. In the magazine review, there's a small boxout talking about how it relates to the first game. In short: you don't need to have played 999, but there are a few cute extra details if you have.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby alexjones94 » 22 Nov 2012, 15:29

I really like the look of this. As a huge Phoenix Wright fan, is it a similar sort of game (albeit a bit more mature, I gather)?
alexjones94

Postby MatthewONM » 22 Nov 2012, 15:33

alexjones94 wrote:I really like the look of this. As a huge Phoenix Wright fan, is it that sort of thing (albeit a bit more mature, I gather)?

Sort of. The novel sections of a game are hardly a game compared to Wright. You literally read the story and make decisions at key points. The locked rooms are more like point-and-click adventures than Wright. That said, it has a similar blend of humour and melodrama, so you'll probably get on really well with it.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby alexjones94 » 22 Nov 2012, 15:39

MatthewONM wrote:That said, it has a similar blend of humour and melodrama, so you'll probably get on really well with it.

Those two things are what make PW so great for me, so I'll definitely give this a go, thanks!
alexjones94

Postby Yirba » 22 Nov 2012, 16:40

[I think I was being kinda trollish in this post, so gone it is. :-P]

Anyway, really looking forward to Virtue's Last Reward. I really enjoyed 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, so I'm expecting it to become one of my favourite Nintendo 3DS games.
Last edited by Yirba on 22 Nov 2012, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Yirba

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 22 Nov 2012, 16:42

I too played the demo and I loved it. It reminded me a lot of CiNG's brilliant DS game, Another Code. With CiNG no longer operating, I think that Virtue's Last Reward will be a perfect way for filling my interactive-mystery-novel-game shaped hole.
I'll see if I can buy it from Rising Star directly at the next MCM Expo.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Xenobladeperson » 22 Nov 2012, 18:29

Demo wasn't as good as I expected, but I'll pick this up eventually.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 22 Nov 2012, 18:37

I thought the demo was mind-numbingly boring with everything taking ages to do - even opening a door. I gave up after I got the four numbers out of boredom.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby Da_Epic_Fail » 23 Nov 2012, 08:43

It might be worth mentioning that, from what i've read in other reviews, this game spoils the plot to 999. If you haven't played it (which isn't too unlikely since it never came out in this country, but the american version will work on a 3DS) i'd recommend playing that one first.

999 is pretty much my favourite game on the DS, so VLR can't arrive quick enough :D
Da_Epic_Fail

Postby jaco_p » 23 Nov 2012, 18:18

MatthewONM wrote:
Aboyandhissequel wrote:Reviewed by someone who clearly never played the first game in the series, there was no reference to it at all.

For your information, I did play the first game. In fact, I reviewed it for NGamer. I didn't talk about the game in the review because it was never released in the UK and ONM does not cover the import scene. In the magazine review, there's a small boxout talking about how it relates to the first game. In short: you don't need to have played 999, but there are a few cute extra details if you have.

that told you chops! Think before you speak
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby offensive diary » 25 Nov 2012, 15:13

I've already managed to corrupt my save file! Yay! :roll:
offensive diary

Postby 9Westy9 » 27 Nov 2012, 00:07

I played 999 and I've been hyped for this since I heard about it. Hopefully it should arrive tomorrow.
Get going Simon. Just don't be distracted by the what-ifs, should-ifs, and if-onlys.
The one thing you choose for yourself, that is the truth of your universe.
9Westy9

Postby Rufan » 12 Dec 2012, 21:53

I got this game and I love it, nearly finished I think, it's better than Professor Layton, I don't know what all do after I finish it, I've only put it down to charge my 3DS.
Looking for Animal Crossing New Leaf friends, My friend Code is: 3566-1527-3477 Please PM me your friend code so that I can add you. thanks!
Rufan

Postby master sword » 24 Dec 2012, 14:27

I've always wondered why VN style games very rarely make it over here, those that do, usually always receive critical acclaim or a cult classic status (Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, VLR and 999) so it doesn't really make much sense to me, they also appeal to Older Gamers who prefer good stories (Look how well Professor Layton did as an example)
i will fight for:
. good reviews
. the next ONM mag
. smash bros on the 3DS
. pikmin 3
. the last bowl of pasta
master sword

Postby 9Westy9 » 25 Dec 2012, 23:08

master sword wrote:I've always wondered why VN style games very rarely make it over here, those that do, usually always receive critical acclaim or a cult classic status (Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, VLR and 999) so it doesn't really make much sense to me, they also appeal to Older Gamers who prefer good stories (Look how well Professor Layton did as an example)

Because they usually don't sell very well over here. It's a shame because VN's are usually quite good imo
Get going Simon. Just don't be distracted by the what-ifs, should-ifs, and if-onlys.
The one thing you choose for yourself, that is the truth of your universe.
9Westy9

Postby BlueLimpet » 06 Mar 2013, 23:03

This game is fantastic. Think Professor Layton meets Battle Royale. Throw in loads of plot twists and turns and a crazy white rabbit. Definitely worth buying, especially if you are a bit of a bookworm. And like a good book this game is nearly impossible to put down. So, the only question is: Will you Ally? /or Betray....
BlueLimpet

Postby lillolone » 16 Dec 2013, 22:20

Thanks for the 999 heads up... I've just ordered it!
lillolone