Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Epic Mickey: The Power Of Illusion review

Comment on site articles.

We wished upon a star, but nothing happened

There are few situations in which we find ourselves yearning for the delineated review scores of yesteryear. You know the sort: scores separated uselessly into categories like 'gameplay', 'sound' or 'length'. Perhaps the most damning thing we can say about DreamRift's handheld Disney spin-off is that it deserves to be appraised that way.

... read more

Epic Mickey: The Power Of Illusion review

Postby shy guy 64 » 22 Nov 2012, 15:57

im still gonna give it a try
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: Epic Mickey: The Power Of Illusion review

Postby ploiper » 22 Nov 2012, 16:34

i still think this will be my fave game this year, none of the bad things that gets mentioned bother me in the slightest
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ploiper

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 22 Nov 2012, 17:14

Joe, your being generous. I had the chance to play it at the Wii U Showcase during the London MCM Expo, and my excitement and optimism at the premise fell flat the moment I started playing. Even after just playing the first Peter Pan stage for 5 minutes I found the platforming dull and the paint/thinner mechanic tedious. The latter point is also guilty of destroying the games flow. Instead of pressing on like you would in Castle of Illusion, you have to stop every half a minute to paint and outline or erase something. It was only made bearable by the fact that the sylus was hanging on a little wire attatched to the demo console which made it easier to grab. I can just imagine how annoying it could be to have to be constantly switching between the 3DS's face-buttons and whipping out the stylus to do some touch screen stuff then put it away, only to have to get it out again half a minute later.
Honestly, I didn't hesitate to hand it back to the demonstation assistant dude.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 23 Nov 2012, 12:58

Still want it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby bennyt » 23 Nov 2012, 23:53

Ba Humbug... :)

From the review in the magazine, it seems that the presentations/graphics are top notch but other than that, the game is deemed to be let down by the 'shortness and repetitiveness'. After all the previews in the onm magazines running up to this, seeming to praise it and all, the score (and i know it's only an individuals opinion) seems a little unexpected and low.

The lack of many worlds is disappointing but I'm still looking forward to it though, especially as it's my first Mickey Mouse game and rescuing characters and upgrading their rooms in the hub sound great. Hopefully, it will be in the post tomorrow and tide me over til the Wii U as next week is going to drag so badly.

A little off topic, but the game sort of reminds me of Halo 4 in whereas for me, the campaign didn't really thrill me, yet the graphics were phenomenal and kept me playing and feel it may be similar for me in the case of The Power of Illusion.
bennyt

Postby pinkgamer634 » 24 Nov 2012, 15:57

bennyt wrote:Ba Humbug... :)

From the review in the magazine, it seems that the presentations/graphics are top notch but other than that, the game is deemed to be let down by the 'shortness and repetitiveness'. After all the previews in the onm magazines running up to this, seeming to praise it and all, the score (and i know it's only an individuals opinion) seems a little unexpected and low.

The lack of many worlds is disappointing but I'm still looking forward to it though, especially as it's my first Mickey Mouse game and rescuing characters and upgrading their rooms in the hub sound great. Hopefully, it will be in the post tomorrow and tide me over til the Wii U as next week is going to drag so badly.

I agree, no one complains about New Super Mario Bros. 2 being short, some platformers are short but it's Disney and what is there is of good quality so it provides a great gaming experience.
pinkgamer634

Postby Chewie » 25 Nov 2012, 12:27

Like others above, I still want it.
3DS friend code: 3394-3537-0725
Chewie