Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Comment on site articles.

Wii U is more graphically intensive than rival consoles

Nintendo's US boss Reggie Fils Aime has hit back at a suggestion that Wii U is on a par with Xbox 360 and PS3, arguing that third party games such as Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 look dramatically better on Nintendo's new console.

... read more

Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby MJTH » 26 Nov 2012, 11:00

According to Digital foundry, whilst the Wii U version of Black ops 2 does look better in some cases, it does suffer from a severe inconsistent frame rate at other times. One moment a good solid 60FPS, at other times down to 30FPS.

The Wii U is a new system and according to some, devs only had the final specs for 7 months or so before release. It take much more time then this make a consistent port in most cases, especially for hardware and system tools that developers aren't used to. Hopefully by next year, when devs have had more time with the console and games are being developed with it more in mind, some of these issues will fade away.

It's good to hear sales figures are good though. I can't wait for mine to arrive on Friday! :D
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 113
Location: United Kingdom

Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby Slinkington » 26 Nov 2012, 11:01

I watched a VERY thorough comparison between the Xbox 360 and Wii U versions of Call of Duty by Video Games Awesome (aka FarFromSubtle) and they looked identical in terms of graphical quality. The only difference was that bullet holes in walls were not present in the Wii U version for some reason.
Slinkington
27
 
Posts: 260
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby MJTH » 26 Nov 2012, 12:08

Slinkington wrote:I watched a VERY thorough comparison between the Xbox 360 and Wii U versions of Call of Duty by Video Games Awesome (aka FarFromSubtle)


You've got to love the Video Games AWESOME crew! Frash Frash is MLGEEEE! ;)
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 113
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby MatthewONM » 26 Nov 2012, 12:31

Having played BLOPS2 for review, I did note several moments of quite unpleasant slowdown, but it's a vast improvement on the awful Wii ports that came before. As the Digital Foundry article pointed out, it's fundamentally optimised for 360, but for a first Wii U effort it ain't half bad. Now we just need people to buy the game and start playing online. Only 450 people playing over the weekend...
MatthewONM
63
ONM Staff
 
Posts: 369
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby MJTH » 26 Nov 2012, 13:35

MatthewONM wrote: As the Digital Foundry article pointed out, it's fundamentally optimised for 360, but for a first Wii U effort it ain't half bad. Now we just need people to buy the game and start playing online. Only 450 people playing over the weekend...


Yeah, with more time the for the developers will learn the ins and outs of the console, so ports will get better with time. As for the amount of people playing online, I think everyone else is to busy play NSMBU, Zombie U and Nintendo Land, to give COD a look at the moment, which I can't argue with. Everyone loves a good exclusive!
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 113
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby fasttony2006 » 26 Nov 2012, 17:04

Mathew why is call of duty fundamently optimised for xbox 360?are all these ports the same fundamently optimised for 360?
fasttony2006
17
 
Posts: 24
Location: Ireland

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby Argenthor » 26 Nov 2012, 19:23

fasttony2006 wrote:Mathew why is call of duty fundamently optimised for xbox 360?are all these ports the same fundamently optimised for 360?

Correct me if I am wrong, but when developing games, developers usually work on a certain platform and then port this to other consoles. It's why Skyrim is having so many problems on the ps3, but it is something which varies by developer.

I'm surprised that there haven't been shortages in America yet... it's good if the console is being restocked, but a few sold out signs make for great publicity!
Argenthor
38
User avatar
 
Posts: 739
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby fasttony2006 » 26 Nov 2012, 19:35

Argenthor wrote:
fasttony2006 wrote:Mathew why is call of duty fundamently optimised for xbox 360?are all these ports the same fundamently optimised for 360?

Correct me if I am wrong, but when developing games, developers usually work on a certain platform and then port this to other consoles. It's why Skyrim is having so many problems on the ps3, but it is something which varies by developer.

I'm surprised that there haven't been shortages in America yet... it's good if the console is being restocked, but a few sold out signs make for great publicity!



thanks i just had a feeling that was it but do microsoft pay them to develop on that console of choice before they port over.
fasttony2006
17
 
Posts: 24
Location: Ireland

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby Mr Roboto » 26 Nov 2012, 20:26

Why doesn't Nintendo just release the dam specs then if the Wii u is more powerful than its current generation competitors.

This comparison will continue until Nintendo prove otherwise!
Mr Roboto
38
User avatar
 
Posts: 909
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby KairiZero » 26 Nov 2012, 21:20

MatthewONM wrote:Having played BLOPS2 for review, I did note several moments of quite unpleasant slowdown, but it's a vast improvement on the awful Wii ports that came before. As the Digital Foundry article pointed out, it's fundamentally optimised for 360, but for a first Wii U effort it ain't half bad. Now we just need people to buy the game and start playing online. Only 450 people playing over the weekend...



Only 450 people - lets not forget that is likely the european matchmaking, and we've not the console release properly over here just yet, give it till sunday Matt - and hopefully the numbers will sky-rocket!
Image

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero
30
User avatar
 
Posts: 236
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby spud111 » 26 Nov 2012, 22:32

Wow, it's only 7 years newer and has slightly better graphics!
spud111
15
 
Posts: 14

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby Lonegamer » 26 Nov 2012, 22:57

spud111 wrote:Wow, it's only 7 years newer and has slightly better graphics!

yep :( im putting off buying mine till next year.
if it is the cace that wii u is same as other console then its pretty sad, and dissapointing
Lonegamer
34
 
Posts: 164
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Reggie: Call Of Duty looks dramatically better on Wii U

Postby KairiZero » 26 Nov 2012, 23:14

Lonegamer wrote:
spud111 wrote:Wow, it's only 7 years newer and has slightly better graphics!

yep :( im putting off buying mine till next year.
if it is the cace that wii u is same as other console then its pretty sad, and dissapointing


Games are created on a host platform, then ported out to others, its quite usual for other versions to suffer slight frame drops and other issues, especially when it is a brand new platform which the developers are unaccustomed to. Give it some time, and give developers some time to actually get their heads around the the dev kits and ways of optimising performance for the wii u, and you will see a world of difference sooner or later. Wait for the next game in the CoD franchise and see how that holds up, before leveling the console based on a few words on a website and a few videos you find online....
Image

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero
30
User avatar
 
Posts: 236
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Moderators

ONM Staff

Return to Article Comments

Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.