Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

New Super Mario Bros U review

Comment on site articles.

Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in a higher definition!

The worst bit about New Super Mario Bros U? The title. Specifically, the 'new' bit. All games are 'new', sticking it on the box makes it look like you've something to hide, as if the game can't convince of newness by quality alone. It's the kind of 'new' that gets wheeled out in toothpaste and washing up liquid adverts: all-new formula! Now with 23 per cent added jumping! Mario deserves better. He isn't a toothpaste or washing up liquid. For starters, the D-Pad leaves your fingers way more calloused than Fairy Liquid ever would.

... read more

New Super Mario Bros U review

Postby Ai64 » 26 Nov 2012, 16:44

Still looks charming and fun to play and better in HD. Classic mario platforming. Quite recommanded. :)
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Re: New Super Mario Bros U review

Postby Pyron12 » 26 Nov 2012, 17:13

I want to know why this gets a lower score than NSMB2
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby epiclink » 26 Nov 2012, 17:17

The level with the moon in the background is from starry sky by Vincent Van Gogh.
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 26 Nov 2012, 17:23

I guess my problem with Mario is that, while all his games are solid, I haven't been excited by any of them since 2007, when Galaxy came out. That's five whole years.
JoeOdranDoran

Postby MatthewONM » 26 Nov 2012, 17:30

Pyron12 wrote:I want to know why this gets a lower score than NSMB2

Like we've said before, with the redesign we've taken a fresh look at how we score games. We felt there was a little bit of score inflation and wanted to reset things. We're not saying the past scores are wrong, just that our new scores are maybe a little tougher. I think NSMBU is the best NSMB game, but I didn't review the other ones for the mag. Different people, different opinions.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby benandarchie » 26 Nov 2012, 18:54

Less than NSMB2!! NSMB2 was nowhere near as good. It seems you have become stricter since then.
benandarchie

Postby JAYMCK2103 » 26 Nov 2012, 19:05

Has anybody saw that Nintendo tvii is coming to the UK!!!!! It says so on the wii u website :D
JAYMCK2103

Postby thenintendoer » 26 Nov 2012, 19:30

it does look quite good so i may consider picking it up but i hope its the last in the new mario series as to be honest their not very innovative and lack the imagination of the 3d and older 2d mario games
thenintendoer

Postby MewtwoLegend » 26 Nov 2012, 20:24

thenintendoer wrote:it does look quite good so i may consider picking it up but i hope its the last in the new mario series as to be honest their not very innovative and lack the imagination of the 3d and older 2d mario games

don't worry. You won't be seeing another New Super Mario Bros game until the next handheld and home console systems arrive, I'm certain of that. The New Super Mario Bros games are just a once every console and handheld generation thing just like the likes of Mario Kart and Smash Bros. They just want to give the Wii U a sales boost knowing how popular it is.

I will find it quite hypocritical if in like 6 or 7 years time another New Super Mario Bros game comes along and people start whining again that Nintendo is milking it and that it is Nintendo's Call of duty or something. Because that just wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, I think the games are pretty fun for a while so if I get the Wii U someday and there is nothing much released at the time. I'll pick it up.
MewtwoLegend

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 26 Nov 2012, 20:25

MatthewONM wrote:

Like we've said before, with the redesign we've taken a fresh look at how we score games. We felt there was a little bit of score inflation and wanted to reset things. We're not saying the past scores are wrong, just that our new scores are maybe a little tougher. I think NSMBU is the best NSMB game, but I didn't review the other ones for the mag. Different people, different opinions.

So you've changed the scoring system, but not the previous scores, that will lead to confusion.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby CraigEmberson » 26 Nov 2012, 21:59

Isn't Matthew the guy who usually reviews darker games? or more indie games? Seems like there's some psychological "People think we only give Nintendo games higher scores, so let's be a lot tougher on Nintendo games specificually". I played some of this and I enjoyed it a lot more than NSMB Wii and NSMB2.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby adamatsu » 26 Nov 2012, 22:00

well done on deflating your scoring system, it was ridiculous before! seems like a fair score to me, the NSMB series in general definitely misses of the magic of the originals...i thought this might be the first NSMB game to reach the joyful effortless creativity of smb3 and smw, but alas not...
adamatsu

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 27 Nov 2012, 00:07

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think I've had more fun on the Wii than with co-op multiplayer Mario and Luigi action with my brother. I'm so looking forward to New Super Mario Bros. U creating even more super fun times for me and my very own Luigi.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 27 Nov 2012, 00:34

multi-player isn't for me , the challenge's sound great , of the 4 game's i'm getting this will be the 1ST one that go's into the console
5OUNDWAVE

Postby toffeeman30 » 27 Nov 2012, 08:51

im still kinda happy that super mario world is the best
toffeeman30

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 27 Nov 2012, 11:29

Looks a lot better than previous NSMB games,so I might get it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

New Super Mario Bros. U

Postby gabrieljrc1 » 03 Dec 2012, 18:22

I'm looking forward to purchasing New Super Mario Bros. U soon! Looks really good! :D :D :D :D :D :D
3DS FC: 0344-9606-6213

Wii FC: 7324 4565 8314 6443

Colors: @gabrieljrc9

ONM Staff, please add me on stuff!
gabrieljrc1

Postby Johny G » 14 Dec 2012, 13:16

Best game on the Wii U. It deserved a Gold Award and should have got 95%

Mario No 1.
Johny G

Postby zelda-legend93 » 26 Dec 2012, 13:50

MatthewONM wrote:

I'm glad you've changed your scoring system. It got a little tedious when near enough every major Nintendo game to come out received a gold award. 'New Mario platformer? Let's slap a gold award on it!'
zelda-legend93

Postby KH81314 » 11 Jan 2013, 15:54

Nintendo aren't adding enough stuff to 2D Mario games. The HD visuals are nice but it feels like a extra pair of levels of the first one.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby wilfrefanguy » 11 Mar 2013, 12:22

This may sound weird because we get mario games all the time but i really want this game it looks really good
wilfrefanguy

Postby gamemaster123 » 30 Apr 2013, 18:39

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D dont know what to say.. mabey :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
gamemaster123