Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U has sold 400,000 in one week

Comment on site articles.

Nintendo's new console "essentially sold out"

Nintendo's US boss Reggie Fils-Aime is celebrating a good start for Wii U in America with 400,000 consoles having been sold in the country in one week.

... read more

Wii U has sold 400,000 in one week

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 27 Nov 2012, 11:00

Good start. Let's just hope this continues and sells more in the US and that the trend will translate when it's released here and in Japan in the next couple of weeks.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: Wii U has sold 400,000 in one week

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 27 Nov 2012, 11:33

Pretty good start,I'll look forward to see how well it does here.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby lminett » 27 Nov 2012, 12:13

Im expecting to see similar numbers in europe, i can imagine alot of people will want this before xmas
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby K-tet » 27 Nov 2012, 14:04

A lot of people complained that this was a lacklustre start for the system, but they haven't taken into account the economy, how badly the system has been both marketed and advertised, and that it's releasing at a higher price point than the Wii did (which apparently sold 600K in its first week in the US). However, 400K is a pretty respectable number given the real world circumstances. While not every store in the US has sold out, the majority of retailers have, and those still seen in the wild by people are the Basic Pack, meaning the Premium Pack has been the system of choice.

What makes it even more promising is that while the Wii U system is sold at a loss, the moment you buy a game, it turns a profit. This means that the Wii U must be selling at a marginal loss per unit. I'm sure once Nintendo of America release their software sales for that week, you may find that the Wii U as a whole is turning a pretty penny.

If similar figures maintain in Europe come Friday, and Japan the following Saturday, leading into Christmas, there's every chance the Wii U can sell 1.2 to 2 million units just in that timespan alone. Also given certain software in the launch window will entice buyers to invest in a Wii U upon release (such as Rayman Legends), by the end of the fiscal year alone, I can see 2 to 2.5 million units sold, and that's irrespective of the teething problems the Wii U has at the moment. I can definitely see ZombiU being the game of choice for European gamers, and in Japan, that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate code in the Premium Pack alone will print Nintendo a whole heap of cash!
K-tet

Postby toffeeman30 » 27 Nov 2012, 14:17

incidentally segas dreamcast sold 372k units in the same time frame 13 years ago. early days
toffeeman30

Postby Argenthor » 27 Nov 2012, 18:19

I'm pondering over what 'essentially' means. Here's hoping Xmas only continues this!
Argenthor

Postby Mr Roboto » 27 Nov 2012, 21:08

Very good start but no way the Wii u will out sell the Wii as many people will just keep their Wii console and not splash out again on a new console with a tablet controller.
Mr Roboto