Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Why Peach isn't a playable character in New Super Mario Bros

Comment on site articles.

Would you like more playable characters in Mario's new platformer?

New Super Mario Bros U director Masataka Takemoto has explained why Nintendo decided not to include Princess Peach as a playable character in his new game.

... read more

Postby shy guy 64 » 27 Nov 2012, 11:29

fair enough i suppose
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 27 Nov 2012, 11:32

I still say it,it would have been better if Nintendo swap the two Toads for Wario,and Waluigi.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Re: Why Peach isn't a playable character in New Super Mario

Postby Slinkington » 27 Nov 2012, 11:59

Really lazy answer.

Rayman Origins/Legends have unique characters and animations that all play the same, why can't this? I remember Shigzi saying they didn't do it on the Wii version because it would have taken too long. It wouldn't really, but I went with it as I guess they wanted to get the game out fast. This time there is no excuse.

Also, why must Bowser kidnap Peach every time? Can't he just do something else, like steal a magic star or something? Heck, even kidnap Daisy for a change like in Mario Land. (Not the new, annoying daisy though. She really needs a redesign.)
Slinkington

Postby concernedcamel » 27 Nov 2012, 12:15

I really don't like the toads it seems like a lazy choice especially after the wii game they should have spiced it up a bit
concernedcamel

Postby Mew3 » 27 Nov 2012, 16:23

I want to play as yoshi, not ride him. He could have his own power ups :D
Mew3

Postby ZodiacXYZ » 27 Nov 2012, 16:49

Wario & Waluigi, or maybe El Piantissimo and...who was that monkey in Super Mario Galaxy 2?
...Or even a toad and hasn't there been at least one koopa that's gone over to the good side?
Some of my work:
I...change...
My Tyranitar
ZodiacXYZ

Postby Kieran Drakes » 27 Nov 2012, 17:34

I think being able to customize toad heads would be enough, i dont even want princess Peach to be playable in the main game, if you look at the game title, it says New super mario bros u, not new super mario and girlfriend bros u, maybe in the future an expansion pack for peach might be ok, but in the main story? I think the choice was rigght
Kieran Drakes

Postby ThePokekid78 » 27 Nov 2012, 18:08

"What he didn't mention is that the goal in New Super Mario Bros U is to rescue Princess Peach who is being held hostage in her own castle."

Wait, WHAT?!?

Princess Peach is...kidnapped?? In a...a...a castle? And the aim...of a Mario game...is to rescue her??
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 27 Nov 2012, 18:57

Meh.
Still undecided on whether to get this, Sonic Racing or Rayman... :?
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby thenintendoer » 27 Nov 2012, 19:38

or a more realistic answer we couldnt be bothered to do anything new with this title and decided that including one new charcter was too much for us to do
thenintendoer

Postby Nintendalek42 » 27 Nov 2012, 19:44

ZodiacXYZ wrote:Wario & Waluigi, or maybe El Piantissimo and...who was that monkey in Super Mario Galaxy 2?
...Or even a toad and hasn't there been at least one koopa that's gone over to the good side?

The Chimp from galaxy 2? Hell yeah! I've always wanted to play as him, and though I had my hopes up for Mario Kart 7, we got masterfully trolled with the god-awful honey queen instead.
Nintendalek42

Postby TheRexFactor » 28 Nov 2012, 00:17

Whatever about Peach, but they have to have some better idea than two toads!
I used to be a mod, now I'm just part of the community.
3DS FC: 3780-9077-9091 (let me know if you add me so I can add back)
Mario Kart 7 and Animal Crossing New Leaf current online games
TheRexFactor

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 28 Nov 2012, 03:53

is toad wearing a nappy
5OUNDWAVE

Postby Dorayaki » 28 Nov 2012, 07:13

Wait! Toad "himself" isn't playable in any of the NSMB yet. I don't even know how did this article asked this question. If the moveset is the problem, I'd say Toad and Toadette should be playable before Peach as they just need different textures and recolors.

I love Peach, and judging from the article I think moveset is a bad excuse not to make Peach playable. How did they make DK playable in DK Returns?

imbusydoctorwho wrote:I still say it,it would have been better if Nintendo swap the two Toads for Wario,and Waluigi.

Because they're mushroom people, and Wario bros are not doing with Peach's disaster. If the hero who saves Peach is the first one worrying about her, that should be Daisy.
Dorayaki

Postby kevws77 » 28 Nov 2012, 12:25

What I would love to see is quite a few extra characters - maybe Peach or Daisy, and also Donkey Kong. Then you could get the basics done of the game as all of them would have the same basic moves - but they could each have different special moves and techniques for accessing say extra areas on particular level, or some worlds/levels where they are themed to a particular character :D . It would add loads of replayability to the game.
kevws77

Postby Dorayaki » 28 Nov 2012, 12:59

kevws77 wrote:and also Donkey Kong.

Same as Wario, he has own games and can't enter here, or he'll have more playable appearances than Mario himself. Unless asking Funky or Candy to be here.
Dorayaki

Postby lifetimegamer » 28 Nov 2012, 14:07

Seems a bit of a cop out really. Mario games are very solid and always a lot of fun, but they really need to mix up the formula a bit next time in order to compete with the Rayman series imo.
lifetimegamer

Postby raphaelcoelho15 » 28 Nov 2012, 14:09

Wario and Waluigi in a DLC would be a must buy for many of us!
raphaelcoelho15

Postby Dorayaki » 28 Nov 2012, 15:26

raphaelcoelho15 wrote:Wario and Waluigi in a DLC would be a must buy for many of us!

I wonder if you noticed other replies.
Dorayaki wrote:
kevws77 wrote:and also Donkey Kong.

Same as Wario, he has own games and can't enter here, or he'll have more playable appearances than Mario himself. Unless asking Funky or Candy to be here.
Dorayaki

Postby sciqueen » 29 Nov 2012, 12:14

That's a poor excuse. If Super Mario Bros 2 for NES could manage four different characters so can the Wii U. I know they're different hardware, but still!
sciqueen

Postby taximadish » 30 Nov 2012, 10:03

ThePokekid78 wrote:"What he didn't mention is that the goal in New Super Mario Bros U is to rescue Princess Peach who is being held hostage in her own castle."

Wait, WHAT?!?

Princess Peach is...kidnapped?? In a...a...a castle? And the aim...of a Mario game...is to rescue her??

PLOT TWIST!

Anyhow, I think one plain ol' red Toad would've been fine. But I'd really there to be 4 different characters, rather than 2 different and 2 the same. But I can't really think of any good ones...
Get it? 'Cause it's like it's my signature?
No?
taximadish

Postby smash-brother » 03 Dec 2012, 20:55

why not allow u to play as her after u rescue her
Jack, I'm only an elected official, i can't make decisions by myself
smash-brother

Postby BrychanCymru » 09 Jan 2013, 17:53

imbusydoctorwho wrote:I still say it,it would have been better if Nintendo swap the two Toads for Wario,and Waluigi.

true
I am awesome
BrychanCymru

Postby moppo7 » 17 Feb 2013, 15:50

5OUNDWAVE wrote:is toad wearing a nappy

yes
moppo7