Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii Mini officially announced, first pictures of Nintendo's

Comment on site articles.

Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada next month

Nintendo Canada have officially announced that Wii Mini will be available in the country from 7 December.

... read more

Postby toffeeman30 » 27 Nov 2012, 14:59

cant play gamecube games on it...
toffeeman30

Postby Darkblizz » 27 Nov 2012, 15:01

I actually kind of want one....

Also wouldn't say no to a Gamecube mini, but the odds of that happening are non-existant.
Darkblizz

Re: Wii Mini officially announced, first pictures of Nintend

Postby King Slazo » 27 Nov 2012, 15:10

No wifi, no backwards compatibility, Canada only.

...who thought this was a finanically viable idea again?
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Tams » 27 Nov 2012, 15:12

The new Wiis don't have GameCube support anyway, so an even smaller one not having it is no real surprise.

Shame about the lack of online. Not that we'll be getting it any time soon, if at all.
Tams

Postby nintenu » 27 Nov 2012, 15:27

Looks nice, it's a little weird that it's just Canada?? ...hopefully it will be released in the US or UK stores later this year or earlier next year...I want one!
NintenU One Game at a Time!
Be a part of it ...Join the Staff!
nintenu

Postby Emperix » 27 Nov 2012, 15:30

It looks pretty neat, but practically pointless buying one.

I can only imagine that anyone who wanted a Wii has already got one, and if anyone were to get one for the first time, the original model is even more affordable nowadays, especially with the Wii U out.

Realistically, this is nothing more than a collector's item.
[Don't assume I'm never around] [Twitter] [deviantART]
Emperix
ONM Moderator

Postby K-tet » 27 Nov 2012, 15:33

I feel that this is pointless, especially now with the Wii U out. It's a year far too late, but seeing as it'll only be available in Canada so far, I'll just say damage limitation. Not having built-in wireless hurts it from a practical standpoint. Lack of GameCube support doesn't bother me in the slightest. The new Wii's don't have that support, so it's negligible.

Aesthetically however, I quite like it. It looks sleek and modern and is (to me at least) pleasing on the eye. I might be one of a very select few that actually likes how it looks. Shame I wouldn't fork out $100CA for a paperweight (albeit a somewhat usable one). =')
K-tet

Postby benandarchie » 27 Nov 2012, 15:35

Great, this will just make consumers even more confused about the Wii U.
benandarchie

Postby kevws77 » 27 Nov 2012, 15:56

I love that fact that it's a kind of Famicom Red colour and would love this to come out in the UK. Very cool indeed.
kevws77

Postby DR_SALVADOR » 27 Nov 2012, 16:07

i actually like the red and black colour scheme it has much better than just all black. And the fact there is no internet connectivity wouldnt bother me since apart from Brawl there was never any games that made me want to play them online
PSN :Fr0zzy-senpai Steam:Rawgnarok where i tweet
MAL
DR_SALVADOR

Postby barrybarryk » 27 Nov 2012, 16:13

I think it looks fantastic, probably the best looking Wii system to be released. No networking is a bit rubbish, but online games were never the Wiis strong suit to begin with and those servers will probably start getting shut down fairly soon anyway.

If it gets a UK release and isn't too steep I'll pick one up, mainly for the new remote plus set for the Wii U but having a spare Wii might come in handy. Especially when it looks that awesome.
barrybarryk

Postby shy guy 64 » 27 Nov 2012, 16:23

fair doos i suppose
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby ZodiacXYZ » 27 Nov 2012, 16:32

benandarchie wrote:Great, this will just make consumers even more confused about the Wii U.
Precisely what I was thinking. A lot of confused Canadian grandmothers and aunts looking for "that new wii thing my little one wants" are about to disappoint some family members.

Emperix wrote:Realistically, this is nothing more than a collector's item.

Much in the same vein as the GB Micro I feel.

So, more? Or less pointless than the Nintendo Wii Family Edition?
Some of my work:
I...change...
My Tyranitar
ZodiacXYZ

Postby shadowlugia101 » 27 Nov 2012, 16:49

WHY!? they're releasing the wii u which is suppossed to take over from the wii, and then they make this! and with no internet capabilities i honestly cannot see a single person buying this. this is going to make nintendo lose way too much money. i wouldn't be too suprised if they went bust from a move like this.
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby lminett » 27 Nov 2012, 16:51

Nintendo have done this before when they launch new consoles, when the SNES came out they releases the NES 2 which was similar looking the SNES. Just trying to make sure that people are buying Nintendo consoles this holiday.
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby Cribster » 27 Nov 2012, 17:10

Looks frickin' cheap.

Nahhhh Nintendo it's not aprils fools time
still a massive nob
Cribster

Postby CDS » 27 Nov 2012, 17:10

Remember, Sony did the same thing with the PSP.
The PSPGo went fairly quickly as it was online only. Near to the PSVita release, they release the E-1000 PSP's with no internet support and the whole of the back of the console opened up.
My Wii is only used for Gamecube support, it seems, these days. So one of these doesn't interest me if it was UK release.

And as for the confusion, is Canada even getting the WiiU the same time as the rest of America?
CDS

Postby PeterR » 27 Nov 2012, 17:22

thats cute. would never be able to justify getting one but it would be a cool little thing to own. i imagine those will be quite rare some day.
PeterR

Postby Gapa » 27 Nov 2012, 17:42

It's basically the student version of a Wii :P
Gapa

Postby mushroomchow » 27 Nov 2012, 17:50

This is a good idea for those families who might want to replace a faulty Wii but aren't ready to make the step-up to Wii U, or those who don't know any better. ( :wink: )

Think about it, a new game in Canadianadana is pushing $70 nowadays. You can get this baby for $99. It's absolutely dirt cheap, and Wii games will be too, with the Wii U's release - I bet you can get a copy of Wii Sports Resort for under $20 in Canada now.

For frugal family gamers, this is a great idea. For hardcore gamers, or online-savvy folk, no chance.

Frankly, I think they should have skipped the original remodel and gone straight for this. It's a sexy little thing, and with very few moving parts you can guarantee these will be working reliably long after most of the disc-feed system units have packed up in 10 years time.

In that sense, they're a very good prospect for Retro gamers in the near future, too, though I can see them being a limited run, so snap one up - we're probably talking under £70 for a console that should last you a lifetime. 8)

Gapa wrote:It's basically the student version of a Wii :P

Oh please, I've blown my budget on a Wii U. :wink:
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby ThePokekid78 » 27 Nov 2012, 17:53

Good God...this is a terrible, TERRIBLE IDEA!

Come on, Nintendo, have some sense! You've already confused half the earth's population with your dodgy name for the new console: Wii U.

This both confuses the casuals ("is this a redesigned Wii? Or a new controller?") as well as instantly puts off many of the hardcores ("hahha it has WII in it's name, Wii was a terrible console for babies, I'm not getting this!")

So we've established that the name 'Wii U' is not great. But to re-release a new style of Wii within a month of Wii U?! People are going to be even more confused!!

And a home console that doesn't have any online capabilities in this day and age is just unacceptable!

Feeling sorry for all of the kids this Christmas Day who ask for a Wii U and open a brand new, smaller Wii...

(Sidenote which I cannot deny: dat colour scheme :D)
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Erdogan44 » 27 Nov 2012, 18:20

It's really, really ugly.. I think black and white would of looked premium..

Also, no Internet is a dealbreaker for me as I play MH3 and MKWii online a lot and download titles every now and then.

Also.. can you hear the cash cow?
Computer - 21.5" iMac - i5 QuadCore 2.5Ghz - Radeon 6970M HD - 4GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD

3DS FriendCode - 4425-2273-6142
Erdogan44

Postby me4ndubz » 27 Nov 2012, 18:22

The latest set of wiis haven't had backwards compatibility anyway so that's no surprise. But the no internet thing is kind of surprising
me4ndubz

Postby geengy » 27 Nov 2012, 18:41

No Wi-Fi. Nintendo, are you stupid? I always defend Nintendo but right now I can't do anything about it. Their marketing strategyu is just humiliating.
If Jack likes it, then then it's not Shloer they put inside those things...
3DS FC: 4012-3382-0569
geengy

Postby submission75 » 27 Nov 2012, 19:21

i walked past a trade in shop today, you can get a normal wii for £50. No part of this seems a good idea...
submission75

Next