Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U has unprecedented entertainment potential - Iwata

Comment on site articles.

We want to create something better than is already in the world

On the eve of the Wii U UK launch, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has been talking up Nintendo's new console, claiming that Nintendo has delivered on its aim to "create something better than is already in the world."

... read more

Wii U has unprecedented entertainment potential - Iwata

Postby Slinkington » 29 Nov 2012, 11:09

I can't agree with what he says about Nintendo making industry standard interfaces. I strongly dislike most of Nintendo's user interfaces.

The 3DS Interface needs work. The folders need real icons, as all mine have a massive "G" on them, for GBA, GBC, GameBoy etc. It's ridiculous. This isn't industry standard at all. I also didn't enjoy using the Wii's interface, switching between SD and internal channels.

Also, how the VC game channel icons would flash between the game title and the system the game was released on is ridiculous. I could never find what game I was looking for because it kept displaying the system it was released for, rather than what game it actually was.

They should also fix the long times when pressing the Home button on the 3DS and Wii U. And how this button becomes disabled at times when online or in the eShop. Xbox 360, PS3 and Vita do not have these issues. The load time isn't long, but the other systems act instantly. Nintendo needs to address this.
Slinkington

Re: Wii U has unprecedented entertainment potential - Iwata

Postby LavaTwilight » 29 Nov 2012, 14:39

Slinkington wrote:I can't agree with what he says about Nintendo making industry standard interfaces. I strongly dislike most of Nintendo's user interfaces.

He could be referring to the NES! Back in the 80s, there were no games consoles per se, just machines that were only able to play a singular title, such as Space Invaders or Pong. These connected to the TV and could not play any other games than 'the one on the box'. The NES changed all that! It was the first home console and was viewed as not having enough appeal to justify releasing games for.
LavaTwilight

Postby Mr Roboto » 29 Nov 2012, 21:22

I've only been playing for about an hour but I can totally see the potential in the Wii u. It needs exclusive games and not just ports with game pad extras thrown in.
Mr Roboto

Postby IPecksU » 30 Nov 2012, 16:34

There'll probably be loads saying this but it could use party chat (or a skype messenger app that can run in the background?), and does anybody know if http://www.tvcatchup.com/ works on the web browser? I sort of can't touch my wii u until christmas so I can't check for myself XD
IPecksU

Postby liveswired » 05 Dec 2012, 22:34

Slinkington wrote:I can't agree with what he says about Nintendo making industry standard interfaces. I strongly dislike most of Nintendo's user interfaces.

The 3DS Interface needs work. The folders need real icons, as all mine have a massive "G" on them, for GBA, GBC, GameBoy etc. It's ridiculous. This isn't industry standard at all. I also didn't enjoy using the Wii's interface, switching between SD and internal channels.

Also, how the VC game channel icons would flash between the game title and the system the game was released on is ridiculous. I could never find what game I was looking for because it kept displaying the system it was released for, rather than what game it actually was.

They should also fix the long times when pressing the Home button on the 3DS and Wii U. And how this button becomes disabled at times when online or in the eShop. Xbox 360, PS3 and Vita do not have these issues. The load time isn't long, but the other systems act instantly. Nintendo needs to address this.

Agreed. I've been saying this for ages also!
liveswired

Postby liveswired » 05 Dec 2012, 22:37

IPecksU wrote:There'll probably be loads saying this but it could use party chat (or a skype messenger app that can run in the background?), and does anybody know if http://www.tvcatchup.com/ works on the web browser? I sort of can't touch my wii u until christmas so I can't check for myself XD

This being Nintendo - NO DEFINITELY NEVER. The Wii U web browser will never develop or progress beyond it's current form and will be as good as useless within the next 6 months.

Nintendo need to WAKE THE HELL UP FAST.
liveswired