Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

14 Donkey Kong facts and secrets

Comment on site articles.

How many did you know?

We've done Pokemon facts, Mario facts and Zelda facts. Nintendo's big three, if you like. Now it's time to go back to the beginning, to a great ape that our favourite characters descended from. Not literally, of course, (that would add even more confusion to the family tree) but without this character, there would be no Mario and with no Mario, Nintendo might not be making games today. Indeed, as Super Mario Bros is sometimes credited with saving the games industry, there might not be any videogames without this guy. We're, of course talking about Donkey Kong. Here are 14 Donkey Kong facts and secrets.

... read more

14 Donkey Kong facts and secrets

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Dec 2012, 10:35

where in ssbb and dkcr did they say cranky is dk grandfather?
life, don't talk to me about life
sig was made by chocolate milk
shy guy 64

Re: 14 Donkey Kong facts and secrets

Postby PercyGLongfield » 01 Dec 2012, 11:38

shy guy 64 wrote:where in ssbb and dkcr did they say cranky is dk grandfather?

I'm saying SuperShyGuy Alt
[img size 100high 600pixels ]http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/16687/16687076f6ebc94378f3854993302531008c7848.png[/img]
PercyGLongfield

Postby GloverMist » 01 Dec 2012, 13:20

In Brawl, it mentions it in Cranky's trophy, and Cranky himself mentions it sometimes when you talk to him in his shop. It has been proven!
I've got two words for you, people: FALCON and PUNCH!
By the way, check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel! I'm currently doing a Let's Play of Super Smash Bros. Brawl!
GloverMist

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Dec 2012, 17:42

GloverMist wrote:

In Brawl, it mentions it in Cranky's trophy, and Cranky himself mentions it sometimes when you talk to him in his shop. It has been proven!

no, his trophy says "A village chief and bitter old codger. Cranky uses his extensive knowledge and wisdom to provide helpful hints. He has also made appearances in a white lab coat as a potion-dealing chemist, granting the Kongs special abilities. Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast/Jet Race features Cranky as a playable character for the first time."

makes no mention of being dk grandfather any where
shy guy 64

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Dec 2012, 17:43

PercyGLongfield wrote:

im sorry, what?
shy guy 64

Postby PercyGLongfield » 01 Dec 2012, 17:50

im sorry, what?[/quote]

Clearly another supershyguy alt,
Come on mods ban this guy
[img size 100high 600pixels ]http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/16687/16687076f6ebc94378f3854993302531008c7848.png[/img]
PercyGLongfield

Postby Zabba 2 » 01 Dec 2012, 18:08

shy guy 64 wrote:no, his trophy says "A village chief and bitter old codger. Cranky uses his extensive knowledge and wisdom to provide helpful hints. He has also made appearances in a white lab coat as a potion-dealing chemist, granting the Kongs special abilities. Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast/Jet Race features Cranky as a playable character for the first time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=506GBPVZ4So
Zabba 2

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Dec 2012, 19:50

Zabba 2 wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:no, his trophy says "A village chief and bitter old codger. Cranky uses his extensive knowledge and wisdom to provide helpful hints. He has also made appearances in a white lab coat as a potion-dealing chemist, granting the Kongs special abilities. Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast/Jet Race features Cranky as a playable character for the first time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=506GBPVZ4So

i forgot about that, though to be fair i never use snake and the people i play with rarely use snake
shy guy 64

Postby carnivine chaos » 02 Dec 2012, 23:24

No one would play on Shadow Moses Island anyway...
Avvy goes up to #071 - Victreebel ~ More coming soon!
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
carnivine chaos

Postby Miguel Sanchez » 10 Mar 2013, 19:50

So Miyamoto went with 'Donkey' instead of 'Monkey', and the team at Rare based DK's movement on a horse instead of a gorilla. How peculiar. Speaking of which, I'm morbidly curious as to what Lanky's back-story is.
'Doctor News is at the door; for God's sake, let the man in'.
http://fromthegrounddownwithclark.blogspot.co.uk/
Miguel Sanchez