Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U eShop games

Comment on site articles.

NES Remix, Castlestorm and Wii Sports Club: Golf all join the illustrious digital ranks

There are a number of cracking games to download on the Wii U eShop. Alongside the boxed releases, the Wii U's gradually building up a respectable library of titles that can only be downloaded from Nintendo's digital store, none currently costing more than around a tenner. These are the best Wii U eShop games right now, but don't expect them to stick around for too long - with games such as Scram Kitty, Teslagrad and Tengami on the way, we expect some of these will slip down the rankings soon.

... read more

Best Wii U eShop games

Postby Mmmyeah » 02 Dec 2012, 12:21

Trine 2 looks pretty cool and at £10.99 it seems really good value too. I'll be downloading that soon!
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Re: Best Wii U eShop games

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 02 Dec 2012, 13:09

I agree that as an eShop title for only £10.99, Trine 2 offers amazing value for money. But when I played the demo, I found the controls awkward and confusing at times - I kept charging down bottomless pits forgetting that it's not B to jump. And the use of the right analogue stick for character-specific abilities like magic and aiming the bow were unwieldy. I'm not a fan of action-platformers where you have to use strategic attacks and I didn't really enjoy this either. But those who are will most likely love this game.
ONM's Chasing Aurora multiplayer video looked pretty boring to me and Nintendo Gamer's one showed how repetitive the single player part of the game is. It just appeared dull.
From that trailer, Nano Assault Neo looks like it belongs on the App Store rather than the eShop, Little Inferno could be a side mini-game in a larger game like Coin Launcher was in SSBB, and Puddle is basically Hydroventure.
So none of these excite me, but the inclusion of Trine 2 is a good place to start - setting a sort of standard I guess.
I just hope the Wii U eShop doesn't end up like the DSiWare or WiiWare shops with a tonne of turds piled around, obscuring the real gems.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby TaleOfTheToaster » 02 Dec 2012, 17:31

68% for Puddle? I'm really enjoying that game, I actually prefer it to Hydroventure. The motion controls work very well, I don't know what you mean, I chose to use them over ZL/ZR. Midnight yesterday, I was at #2 on the World Rankings, but I've left my GamePad charger in my other house :O I really want to get back on the game!
All toasters toast toast, but what if the toaster was to be toasted?
TaleOfTheToaster

Postby Xenobladeperson » 02 Dec 2012, 17:34

91% is too much for Trine. I'd give it somewhere in the eighties.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby mushroomchow » 02 Dec 2012, 20:46

Someone sell Chasing Aurora to me? It looks really, really boring.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby AquaMisty » 02 Dec 2012, 21:18

Since when has Michael Jackson been a reviewer?? :D
I love water Pokemon !
Pokeshipping -the best
AquaMisty

Trine 2 looks AMAZING!

Postby gabrieljrc1 » 03 Dec 2012, 10:20

Trine 2 DC looks so good for £11! I'll probably get it the moment I've got a Wii U and done the system Update! :D
3DS FC: 0344-9606-6213

Wii FC: 7324 4565 8314 6443

Colors: @gabrieljrc9

ONM Staff, please add me on stuff!
gabrieljrc1

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 03 Dec 2012, 11:30

AquaMisty wrote:Since when has Michael Jackson been a reviewer?? :D

Mike Jackson has actually been a reviewer for a while. He was even a staff writer for EMAP's old Nintendo Official Magazine (NOM) and has written for Official Xbox Magazine and CVG, as well as the odd review for ONM previously.
He is not affiliated with the dead pop musician.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: Trine 2 looks AMAZING!

Postby jaco_p » 03 Dec 2012, 14:14

gabrieljrc1 wrote:Trine 2 DC looks so good for £11! I'll probably get it the moment I've got a Wii U and done the system Update! :D

as soon as i updated my wii, turned on the eshop and watched the trine video i was wowed and downloaded it straight away!! Loooks AND plays beautifully
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby andrea987 » 03 Dec 2012, 20:26

jaco_p wrote:
gabrieljrc1 wrote:Trine 2 DC looks so good for £11! I'll probably get it the moment I've got a Wii U and done the system Update! :D

as soon as i updated my wii, turned on the eshop and watched the trine video i was wowed and downloaded it straight away!! Loooks AND plays beautifully

Ditto.
andrea987

Postby lazy_by_choice » 05 Feb 2013, 19:24

Trine 2 does look visually epic! But I would have to go with The Cave, purely because it's from Ron Gilbert, the genius behind the Monkey Island series :D
3DS FC: 2492 - 4389 - 4961 - PM me if you add me & I'll add you back :)
lazy_by_choice

Postby Not_Yeti » 05 Feb 2013, 19:26

Trine 2 is a beautiful and brilliant game for 3 people. I do not enjoy the solo play as much as it just feels like less of a game where you switch between 3 characters instead of 3 characters using their specific abilitys together.
Not_Yeti

Postby KH81314 » 06 Feb 2013, 07:11

Trine 2 looks like a great game. Might get the Cave as well.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Greene-Stuff » 11 Feb 2013, 13:38

I just hope developers realise the potential with the eshop, Trine 2 DC is brilliant! I want to see more games like this and less like pokemon ranch for wiiware
Nintendo Network ID : TheChubbyLad
If you follow me on MiiVerse, I'll follow you back!
3DS Friend Code: 2793 - 0583 - 4285
Greene-Stuff

Postby jaco_p » 10 Apr 2013, 17:49

getting runner 2 tomorrow can't wait!!
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby bigterence » 11 Apr 2013, 08:18

Runner 2 for me,none of this"i might get this if i had a wiiu" nonsense that appears repeatedly on this site.Lets get back to comments by magazine subscription members-only .
bigterence

Postby Waldy565 » 12 Apr 2013, 18:19

mushroomchow wrote:Someone sell Chasing Aurora to me? It looks really, really boring.

I won't probably sell it too you, but if you like high score chasing and beautiful ariel displays, then get it. What I mean by "ariel displays" is it's so organic, and the gliding and swooping, mmmmm! Sorry haha - I think it's the multiplayer people buy it for, I think there's a version of Tag and another mode I forget... I think I've just sold the game to myself, that's an achievement!
EDIT: Now, can anyone sell Trine 2 to me? It does look beautiful, but I think it's really, really generic - even the platform physics aren't as finely toned as a Mario game.
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby NintendanGX » 09 Aug 2013, 05:46

Why isn't Runner 2 higher on the list? Spin the Bottle probably doesn't offer anything to lone players, and I found myself bored with Trine 2. Runner 2 has kept me playing much longer than any indie or even AAA title on the Wii U, is very gorgeous to look at, has a funky soundtrack that goes hand-in hand with the gameplay, the controls are incredibly responsive, there's tons of levels to play through, plenty of things to unlock and achieve, and it all feels rewarding. It's a definite improvement on BIT TRIP Runner, and overall the best indie game I've played in a while. It deserves a higher spot than Trine 2 for sure.
NintendanGX

Postby diego666 » 28 Jan 2014, 19:59

You all write Trine 2 looks pretty cool for £10.99, but it is just for £5.49 !!! Go to Special offers....
diego666

Postby Dawid Lubkowski » 28 Jan 2014, 22:26

jaco_p wrote:

surely........u must have meant.....wii....U!!!!!
Dawid Lubkowski

Postby toffeeman30 » 29 Jan 2014, 14:13

see a lot of love on here for trine. ok it looks pretty, but the gameplay is lacking. just because graphics are good, doesnt mean its superior because of that. controls need to be customised too. go for mario or rayman, much more fun
toffeeman30