Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U: Nintendo focusing on the hardcore Nintendo fans befor

Comment on site articles.

Wii was a huge success because it appealed to families but while Nintendo US boss Reggie Fils-Aime believes that Wii U will appeal to all ages from 5 to 95, Nintendo UK has admitted that they're focusing on hardcore Nintendo fans at launch rather than families.

... read more

Wii U: Nintendo focusing on the hardcore Nintendo fans befor

Postby K-tet » 03 Dec 2012, 12:12

My first weekend with it was pretty awesome. However, I must admit, I found myself enjoying NSMBU more than ZombiU. To me at least, ZombiU provides the thrills and spills but it's not a game I'd find myself coming back to time and time again. It feels pretty standard but by no means is it a bad game. NSMBU on the other hand I can't seem to put down. Every time I pick it up and play it feels like the refined and polished NSMB game we've been waiting for, something that NSMB2 didn't quite deliver on. The fact I call it New Super Mario World pretty much explains what we Mario fans have really been wanting for quite a while now.

I've yet to get any more games because sadly I don't have the Midas touch, but the two games I invested in certainly have been among the best two games to experience as an early adopter.
K-tet

Re: Wii U: Nintendo focusing on the hardcore Nintendo fans b

Postby doydoy » 03 Dec 2012, 13:35

I also enjoyed my first weekend, Nintendo Land is great fun some of the games I spent hours playing. I have yet to play any of the multiplayer only games but that will come with time. New Super Mario Bros U. is what you would expect it to be and it has enough new features to keep owners of any other NSMB games happy.
I am particularly enjoying the Game Pad, not only the mix of TV and Game Pad play, but also if I don't want to turn on my TV I don't have to. It is great to sit there and use it as if it was a handheld, walking from one room to the next.
Gaming when and where I need it!
Miiverse is becoming quite addictive, I find myself posting updates on my progress just because I can.
doydoy

Postby Aboyandhissequel » 03 Dec 2012, 14:08

I have to agree that the focus so far is not casual, and rightly so.

I'm sorry but Nintendoland is anything but casual. Donkey Kong Crash Course is, infact, as far from a casual game you can get that doesn't involve guns; I haven't had so much game rage in quite a while, probably since Super Meat Boy was originally released...

Love the system. Love it.
As soon as there is a new Boy and His Blob game, for Wii U, 3DS or future Nintendo platform; I can delete this account and make a new one with a better name.

Make it happen Nintendo.
Aboyandhissequel

Postby kevws77 » 03 Dec 2012, 14:22

I agree. I think that while the Wii U is seen as a long-term prospect, at the beginning Nintendo need to concentrate on their own fans. I actually think that Nintendo fans as the most hardcore as we are the most loyal to the brand and name compared to other makes and manufacturers.
kevws77

Postby jaco_p » 03 Dec 2012, 14:26

Am loving the new console. There may be mixed reviews of some launch games and doubters, but from what i can tell, the people who have actually gone out and bought the system are loving it!!
Example, playing zombiu, really nervous about the next bit so i pause the game and go to miiverse to ask some advice about what to do. Within minutes i've got about 10 replies with diagrams amongst them!! Brilliant!! Still died though...
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby Smyrlie » 03 Dec 2012, 17:39

I love my wii u, I got ZombiU, NSMBU and Nintendo Land. I love all of them, and I love the integrated Miiverse, it's so awesome.

Also, does anyone know how to follow Reggie, Miyamoto, Iwata etc on Miiverse?
3DS Friend Code: 5198-2575-6428
NNID: Smyrlie
Smyrlie

Postby Nintendalek42 » 03 Dec 2012, 17:50

Waaah, my Wii U is there, in my entrance, the box gleaming since I received it Friday, but It's a christmas present so I just have to sit here and wait. :cry:
Anyway, though their claiming that the launch was for core fans, the tv ads were insultingly idiotic and obviously directed to the family market. I consider myself a "core" nintendo gamer, yet I hung my head in shame thinking what those trailers said to non-nintendo serious gamers. The american trailer was arguably better, but typically arrogant "what U will play next" (ugh, don't tell me what to do), and had the one of the most horrifyingly awful pieces of "music" (audio warfare) ever to reach anyone's ears.
Nintendalek42

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 03 Dec 2012, 19:19

ur not hardcore until u live hardcore , the legend of the rent was way hardcore :mrgreen:
5OUNDWAVE

Postby Wiison » 03 Dec 2012, 20:00

My first weekend has been sensational! :D It is a truly remarkable games console that i can't stop playing! I have Nintendo Land, NSMBU and Sonic racing transformed. I'm playing Nintendo Land at the moment and all i'll say is, ONM 90% is a bit low, that's how much i'm enjoying it. It's such an innovative game! I can't wait to play NSMBU, also K-tet thank you for your positive comments about the game because i'm looking forward to it more now :) The Wii U's online features are very good and addictive as well! Nintendo, well done :)
Wiison

Postby clarkee013 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:16

new super mario bros U is pretty darn sweet, been playing that alot with the GF, Nintendoland hasn't had much of a look in either but i will be battering some assassins creed 3 for a few hours

i do love my wii but i will love it even more if it wasn't for the crazy workaround i've got to do to get games to load :-
if i have played the games already, i.e. downloaded the single game update it wont load up a second time around if i leave the game unless i go into the system settings (another 8mins wait) and delete the saved up date for each game, then return to the main menu (another 8mins wait) and then download the single game update everytime i want to play (another 8mins or so), so in total about 30-40mins of messing around to play a game...i hope this rumoured system update is forthcoming before i have to call nintendo support!!
clarkee013

Postby craigbigedd » 03 Dec 2012, 22:00

I was lucky enough to recieve my Zombi pack on Thursday,thank you shopto :wink:
I must admit seeing quite a few negative comments about the machine I can honestly report that I'm not disappointed one bit with Nintendo's latest home venture.The gamepad is superb and hopefully game designers will come up with new ways to push the design of the pad.The screen is better than I imagined and the feel and weight of the pad is perfect.I just hope Nintendo don't take their eye of the ball like they did in the early days with the 3ds :wink:
craigbigedd